The Student Room Group

advice for new year 12s

what advice would you guys give to your younger-(year 11)-about-to-start-sixth-form self?

Scroll to see replies

Do work and stop playing games
Don't burnout in Year 12.
Use most/all of your free periods wisely :smile:
Keep on top of homework! And get on your teachers’ good sides :biggrin:
Original post by PetitePanda
Do work and stop playing games

hahahahha sorry this made me laugh
Original post by laurawatt
Use most/all of your free periods wisely :smile:
Keep on top of homework! And get on your teachers’ good sides :biggrin:

apparently next year we aren't getting any frees! we go into college for 4 days and go straight home after our lessons :frown:
i will definitely do all my homework, because i used to slack a bit lol and i'm so glad i'm moving to another school so i can reinvent myself and hopefully get on my teacher's good side
Original post by AM.TSR
Don't burnout in Year 12.

how much revision would you suggest we do everyday?
Original post by lizzie.zipmouth
how much revision would you suggest we do everyday?

Complete your homework, write notes for the topics you’ve done that week to review them and so you have them for later and you don’t need to do anything else unless you have a test coming up.
They will talk about this "mock test".
It is not a mock test, depending on how strict ur skl is, it will be used to directly make ur predicted grade for uni and once that's set you've pretty much set the ceiling for how good of a uni you can go.

Work hard. A levels are a lot harder than gcse. Unless you go to a selective skl, most ppl will do badly (much lower than they expect). Your skl will usually put grades in a range to make them look better, dont be fooled. For example my skl said 50% of students got A*/A in physics. They did not mention that there were only 4 ppl in that class and no one got A *, they only got A's.

Get a booklet and put any crap you do in it that you can put on your personal statement when you apply to uni. Then when it comes round to writing personal statement it should be easy.

If you're applying to a really high uni check if there are any additional exams required for them and start practicing.

If you are consistently working then you won't have to work too hard and it should be completely stress free.

Find and apply to work experience early.

You didn't get the chance to do gcses so make sure you know how to revise:
Active recall
Spaced repetition
Lots of questions
Follow spec
Pomodoro
(edited 3 years ago)
apparently next year we aren't getting any frees! we go into college for 4 days and go straight home after our lessons :frown:
i will definitely do all my homework, because i used to slack a bit lol and i'm so glad i'm moving to another school so i can reinvent myself and hopefully get on my teacher's good side

Fair enough :smile: at my school we’re in 5 days a week and can’t leave until the end of the school day (which is why we get frees!)
Original post by gyuigygh
They will talk about this "mock test".
It is not a mock test, depending on how strict ur skl is, it will be used to directly make ur predicted grade for uni and once that's set you've pretty much set the ceiling for how good of a uni you can go.

Work hard. A levels are a lot harder than gcse. Unless you go to a selective skl, most ppl will do badly (much lower than they expect). Your skl will usually put grades in a range to make them look better, dont be fooled. For example my uni said 50% of students got A*/A in physics. They did not mention that there were only 4 ppl in that class and no one got A *, they only got A's.

Get a booklet and put any crap you do in it that you can put on your personal statement when you apply to uni. Then when it comes round to writing personal statement it should be easy.

If you're applying to a really high uni check if there are any additional exams required for them and start practicing.

If you are consistently working then you won't have to work too hard and it should be completely stress free.

Find and apply to work experience early.

You didn't get the chance to do gcses so make sure you know how to revise:
Active recall
Spaced repetition
Lots of questions
Follow spec
Pomodoro

is the mock test your AS exam (like the end of year 12)?
thank you so much btw, i almost forgot how to revise haha so this was very helpful xx
Original post by laurawatt
Fair enough :smile: at my school we’re in 5 days a week and can’t leave until the end of the school day (which is why we get frees!)

yeah same, we can't leave! all our lessons are literally crammed together and way longer with veryyyy short breaks in between
is the mock test your AS exam (like the end of year 12)?
thank you so much btw, i almost forgot how to revise haha so this was very helpful xx

Yes
Also, you can have fun, just don't get carried away. You can have a lot of fun at uni as well so dont act like it's the end of your youth.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 13
Worry less about what your friends think!
Original post by L-K
Worry less about what your friends think!

could you expand on that? in what sense?
what advice would you guys give to your younger-(year 11)-about-to-start-sixth-form self?

i'm in the same place as u. I'm about to start sixth form too. what subs are u taking?
How do you guys suggest not burning out? I always feel guilty when I don’t have any work to do :/
Original post by zacn01
How do you guys suggest not burning out? I always feel guilty when I don’t have any work to do :/

Don’t feel guilty - having enough rest is just as important as doing enough revision. You can’t do well in school and in exams if you’re too tired. Do as much revision as you can but when you feel tired give yourself a break or stop.
Reply 18
start revising 8 weeks before the mock/exam (and have a plan)

don't forget to have fun!! there's more to life than revising

Do your homework as soon as you get it - it really helps you stay on top of tour work and gives you more time on the weekend. :smile:
Keep up to date with your revision and make sure to revise your areas of weakness first.

Btw love your username I used to love Jacqueline Wilson

Quick Reply

Latest