The Student Room Group

Course or Uni - whats more important?

So, I´ve found an amazing course at a Scottish University. However, I already have a place at an English Uni (very well respected), in the city that I always dreamed of moving to. Unfortunately, the course isn´t that exciting as I´ve found out after carefully reading through all the modules. It´s the same subject, yes, but it´s taught in an extremely conservative way. Plus, most of the modules don´t sound as exciting to me as the one from the Scottish Uni (which is more interesting, imo, than the courses of other unis).
But honestly, as dumb as it sounds, I´ve always wanted to move to England.

Has anyone had a similiar experience? Do you have any advice?
Original post by ninjacaty
So, I´ve found an amazing course at a Scottish University. However, I already have a place at an English Uni (very well respected), in the city that I always dreamed of moving to. Unfortunately, the course isn´t that exciting as I´ve found out after carefully reading through all the modules. It´s the same subject, yes, but it´s taught in an extremely conservative way. Plus, most of the modules don´t sound as exciting to me as the one from the Scottish Uni (which is more interesting, imo, than the courses of other unis).

Honestly , since you will be there for like 3/4 years i would go for what would make you happier : university is more than just a degree so if the lifestyle of england is for you then go for it , but you will be studying it for 4 years too so i would go for what would make you happier and what one you can imgining yourself doing . This is the same for me I have a uni in the NW with more exciting moduals than a welsh uni but ive always wanted to move out into a different country ( if you can say that lol and live the life style) Hope you have your gut telling you what to do or just make a pros and cons list. Thanks , Jack!!:smile:
Reply 2
Original post by JackTed12
Honestly , since you will be there for like 3/4 years i would go for what would make you happier : university is more than just a degree so if the lifestyle of england is for you then go for it , but you will be studying it for 4 years too so i would go for what would make you happier and what one you can imgining yourself doing . This is the same for me I have a uni in the NW with more exciting moduals than a welsh uni but ive always wanted to move out into a different country ( if you can say that lol and live the life style) Hope you have your gut telling you what to do or just make a pros and cons list. Thanks , Jack!!:smile:

Hmm, at first I really wanted to go to the Uni, which is also in the NW by the way :biggrin: But I´m gonna be studying most of the time. I think i´d just end up hating the city if I had a bad experience with the course :/ Ahh, difficult decision, that my dear friend the pro con list isn´t able to solve unfortunatey :biggrin: I´ll see. Cheers!

This isn't just a course vs city problem, it's also a financial matter if you're Scottish going to a Scottish uni. Like, is this other city really worth going and extra 30,000 into debt for?
I would say weigh out the pros and cons. Like the user above me said, would you say it's worth the extra £30,000? You tend to do better on a course that you enjoy and love so that's definitely something to take into account. Location is important at the same time as you're going to be living there. I would just say to myself ''is the English uni really worth it if my heart is not 100% set on the course and maybe I could go to that uni for my masters instead?''. What is it you don't like about the modules of the English uni? Is it to with lack of flexibility of modules or you're just not interested in them? :smile:

I would say the course. I had this exact same thought when picking my unis. But at the end of the day, you go there for education primarily. If you don't enjoy the course it's going to be even more difficult for you. But if the English university is significantly more respected and for the course specifically then maybe go with the English uni because that is what employers will focus on. Are you from Scotland?
Original post by Sabertooth
This isn't just a course vs city problem, it's also a financial matter if you're Scottish going to a Scottish uni. Like, is this other city really worth going and extra 30,000 into debt for?

That is a very good point lol
Reply 7

Hiya! I have some second hand experience on the matter. My boyfriend had a similar problem to you when choosing his uni for his engineering course. He’d always dreamed of going to Oxford, yet almost hated the description of the engineering course there, especially compared with Southampton. There were vast differences between the two unis, for example the Oxford course is entirely theory based whereas Southampton had much better workshops as well as a paid year in industry which he really liked the idea of. However in the end, the idea of the Oxford prestige got the better of him and chose to accept the offer from there instead of Southampton. Now he’s regretting his choice, as he doesn’t get to do any of the practical stuff he enjoys doing and could be doing at Southampton.

Lessons to be learned from this? Firstly, the course should be prioritised over the uni, especially in cases where there are practical units involved. Secondly, Oxbridge (or in your case an English uni if you can relate to my boyfriend’s situation) will not make you happy if you know deep down that there is something better for you out there, like the course in Scotland. Best of luck to you xx
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending