The Student Room Group

American studying in England AMA

Scroll to see replies

Original post by RogerOxon
Where and what are you studying?

Where in California? I'm in the SF Bay area, and my son has just graduated from Imperial.

I’m studying anthropology at Durham University , you must be so proud of your son , it’s a very hard place to get into. Also I’m from Fremont that’s crazy 👌🙌
Do people actually go to the football games and other sports events at school?
AND WHAT ARE BLEACHERS? I have never been able to work it out for my whole life 😂😂 it’s bothered me so much lol
Original post by Audrey18
Last year alone there were hundreds of knife deaths in London alone. The government and the police still haven't done anything to improve the situation. In America there are tens of hundreds of shooting deaths. Are there similarities between the UK and US governments in this area? Why do they claim to be a superpower when they can't even handle their own domestic issues?

@Reality Check @rxyaltyx @H4ttie03 @Chopinnocturne31

I’m not qualified to give a correct answer to this , no one on earth is yet.

In my opinion the similarity is the problems that any form of ‘solution’ would cause , the American people won’t let the government take the guns off them without chaos (there are strong arguments on both sides on whether to keep or take guns away , I recommend this video to see the argument for guns which usually isn’t understood. https://youtu.be/rE0Z2k6BJI0)

Similarity in the UK you can’t ‘ban’ knives for obvious reasons. I believe efforts have been put in to carry out more stop and search to people , and this only brings problems such as racial tension and more violence (if a police officer tries to search a person that is carrying a knife , it is pretty likely that they aren’t in a stable way therefore would be more likely to use it.

The US claims to be a superpower because they are , all things considered , yes they have horrific domestic issues , but it could be argued that other countries have them worse , or maybe not , for example some European countries usually thought of being nothing are some of the best places to live for a lot of people , but they aren’t a superpower because of the size and where they put their money.

Overall it’s an insanely complex issue which is made more difficult when people blurt our ‘ban all guns’ or ‘life sentences for having a knife’ the best way is always to question everything and take into account what everyone is saying , no matter how idiotic they are , as if it is , then the counter argument should be easy to give , if someone’s trying to suppress another , often the suppressor doesn’t want the suppressed to be heard , why ?
Original post by Edminzodo
ab2-compressed.jpg.jpeg

Please translate if you can.

I wouldn’t know where to start.
This brings the same vibes , there are crazies on both sides of the planet https://youtu.be/WEGCAS8nCPU
What made you choose the United Kingdom over the USA? Was it the fees? Teaching?

Also I'm interested to know how hard it was to get a visa to study over here, as the process tends to be reciprocal between nations with schemes in place.
Original post by Chopinnocturne31
AND WHAT ARE BLEACHERS? I have never been able to work it out for my whole life 😂😂 it’s bothered me so much lol

The only way I can explain the bleachers is that it’s the bunch of seats where in every cringe teenage American movie the two people will skip class ,hide and make out underneath them and they write their name above them on the underside of the seat.
Original post by JamesCaprio
I’m not qualified to give a correct answer to this , no one on earth is yet.

In my opinion the similarity is the problems that any form of ‘solution’ would cause , the American people won’t let the government take the guns off them without chaos (there are strong arguments on both sides on whether to keep or take guns away , I recommend this video to see the argument for guns which usually isn’t understood. https://youtu.be/rE0Z2k6BJI0)

Similarity in the UK you can’t ‘ban’ knives for obvious reasons. I believe efforts have been put in to carry out more stop and search to people , and this only brings problems such as racial tension and more violence (if a police officer tries to search a person that is carrying a knife , it is pretty likely that they aren’t in a stable way therefore would be more likely to use it.

The US claims to be a superpower because they are , all things considered , yes they have horrific domestic issues , but it could be argued that other countries have them worse , or maybe not , for example some European countries usually thought of being nothing are some of the best places to live for a lot of people , but they aren’t a superpower because of the size and where they put their money.

Overall it’s an insanely complex issue which is made more difficult when people blurt our ‘ban all guns’ or ‘life sentences for having a knife’ the best way is always to question everything and take into account what everyone is saying , no matter how idiotic they are , as if it is , then the counter argument should be easy to give , if someone’s trying to suppress another , often the suppressor doesn’t want the suppressed to be heard , why ?

You're spot on. It's an insanely complex issue. But, please don't think our streets are some sort of gangland, the chances of you being involved/a victim to any sort of knife related crime is insanely low.
What do you think about Scotland and also Masaman the youtuber
Original post by Chopinnocturne31
Do people actually go to the football games and other sports events at school?

The sport in high school is very popular where I’m from , we have the space for much more facilities than in most UK schools and more types of people seem to get involved , like I’m yet to see any cheerleaders (understandably though I don’t think girls want to stand outside on the muddy field cheering for something they don’t understand in the cold) .High school basketball games and college games are on tv in America , they are massive events and I think it’s because it’s more systemic , because the players will go from their high school to college and then can be drafted into the NBA. This makes people interested because they want to see who may be the next MJ .Whereas for football to be a Premier League player you have to be lucky to get scouted while playing for your local club or make your way up the ranks with your team.
Original post by IbeIC123
What do you think about Scotland and also Masaman the youtuber

Scotland is great , I’ve been to Edinburgh and it’s like living in the land of Harry Potter , the people in general are no nonsense and hardworking and very patriotic , it’s a great country and a lot different to England in my opinion. Only downer is the food , like what does Scotland have to offer , haggis ? 🤣
I don’t know Masaman the YouTuber 😂
if you come from cali does the weather get you down also what are you studying why did you come here also what do you think about our educational qualifications like a levels etc
Original post by BarnabyK
What made you choose the United Kingdom over the USA? Was it the fees? Teaching?

Also I'm interested to know how hard it was to get a visa to study over here, as the process tends to be reciprocal between nations with schemes in place.

The main reason I’m studying in the UK is because I wasn’t happy in the place I was living (Fremont) a lot of people can’t believe I’d come to the UK from America but they don’t understand how America is , they just go to Disney or Universal in Orlando and think everywhere is like that. Fees aren’t a problem either way and I just think I’ll get more out of life to experience a different culture and people.

The process is a lot easier for a US citizen to go to the UK than vice-versa if you want to talk about it more in depth just pm me 👍
Scotland is great , I’ve been to Edinburgh and it’s like living in the land of Harry Potter , the people in general are no nonsense and hardworking and very patriotic , it’s a great country and a lot different to England in my opinion. Only downer is the food , like what does Scotland have to offer , haggis ? 🤣
I don’t know Masaman the YouTuber 😂

Wow 😂😂😂 I mean we’ve got deep fried pizzas/mars bars and Irn bru
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by H4ttie03
Lol im from the south Midlands and I call dinner tea a lot but I also call it dinner too, idk I guess it depends who I'm around

Never heard a midlands accent before , I’ll have to go down to Birmingham
Lol im from the south Midlands and I call dinner tea a lot but I also call it dinner too, idk I guess it depends who I'm around

I’ve never heard of a midlands accent before , I’ll have to come down around Birmingham some time 😆
Never heard a midlands accent before , I’ll have to go down to Birmingham

I’ve never heard of a midlands accent before , I’ll have to come down around Birmingham some time 😆

Lol you either get rlly posh sounding ppl like my mum or you get rlly chavy accents like the ppl in my town, tbh I'd say I have an american (I watch Friends everyday lmao and I pick up the accent) and a sought of chav accent coz of the ppl I'm around at school.
So yeah it's okay nothing special
Original post by SnowMiku
There's been a lot of tea questions but can I just confirm something: in the US, do you guys have electric kettles with which you make tea?

This is to settle something with my mum who thinks you don't. I don't know why.

We don’t generally have electric kettles or even use kettle at all , but if we do just the stove top ones. It’s probably a misconception because I’m American hotels for tourists they use electric kettles for efficiency. In colder areas it is more common to use kettles but even still usually just the stove top ones. I’m sorry that this wasn’t a definitive answer 😊
Original post by AM.TSR
AMA? 🤔

Spoiler

Omg Mr Nigerian prince it is an honour. I am prepared to give you all of my money to invest.
Original post by IbeIC123
Wow 😂😂😂 I mean we’ve got deep fried pizzas/mars bars and Irn bru

Irn Bru is so good I can’t believe I forgot 🙈
Lol you either get rlly posh sounding ppl like my mum or you get rlly chavy accents like the ppl in my town, tbh I'd say I have an american (I watch Friends everyday lmao and I pick up the accent) and a sought of chav accent coz of the ppl I'm around at school.
So yeah it's okay nothing special

‘Nothing special’ morning I bet you sound great , I wish I could hear you because I could be able to tell if your accent was sounding American at all 😁

Quick Reply

Latest