The Student Room Group

help me please - careers & mental illness

the future is looking bleak, will i ever be able to find a job when i have this anxiety and depression? i want to become independent after i finish my a levels do an apprenticeship or go to uni. but everyone around me is getting good scores and i'm failing half the time. i was okay throughout the year, mostly getting B for biology and Art and psychology but D for chemistry.
But then everything changed after quarantine, my school still made us do end of year AS exams and i was feeling so depressed and anxious and couldn't concentrate on anything at all, let alone revision, my new meds made me sleepy so i wasted a lot of time sleeping and being half dead.
I still have a B for art but D in everything else and F for chemistry. They were not very empathetic about my situation, they simply scorned me and rambled about discipline and commitment. and i know i am pathetic but they were rude b*tches and did not give any practical advice on improvement. They said they would be understanding and give predicted grades based on the whole year but they just screwed me over and lied.
I'm at the point where i don't know what to do. Any input would be helpful.
(edited 3 years ago)
I'm so sorry this is happening to u :frown: tbh i don't know what ur options are exactly. have u tried speaking to ur parents/tutor about this? perhaps they can speak to ur teachers on ur behalf, and explain the situation. suck lack of empathy and compassion on behalf of a school just sounds brutally unfair and inadequate. if u hand in proof, such as a note from ur psychiatrist, they might change their minds and try to come up w a different approach to ur results. mental health is no joke ffs. arghhhh. I'm so very sorry I can't be of more help . if u need someone to talk to, anytime, I'm here :console: u WILL get thru this, u read me?? u r strong. sending lots of hugs :heart:
Reply 2
Original post by twinklelittlstar
I'm so sorry this is happening to u :frown: tbh i don't know what ur options are exactly. have u tried speaking to ur parents/tutor about this? perhaps they can speak to ur teachers on ur behalf, and explain the situation. suck lack of empathy and compassion on behalf of a school just sounds brutally unfair and inadequate. if u hand in proof, such as a note from ur psychiatrist, they might change their minds and try to come up w a different approach to ur results. mental health is no joke ffs. arghhhh. I'm so very sorry I can't be of more help . if u need someone to talk to, anytime, I'm here :console: u WILL get thru this, u read me?? u r strong. sending lots of hugs :heart:

Hi,
thanks for your response! its really sweet of you :h: maybe i'll try that and see how it goes, i wanted to be less confrontational but clearly that's not working so i might as well and maybe show my angry face. thanks again
You need to see a GP regarding your anxiety and depression.

There are many options such as BTEC's, apprenticeships, hnc, university degree. open university degree, working and climbing up.

You can call the Samaritans on 116 123 and feel free to PM me if you feel the need to talk.
fwiw, I have schizophrenia and work a [albeit lowskilled] job full time.
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
fwiw, I have schizophrenia and work a [albeit lowskilled] job full time.

that's amazing, would you be willing to share your experience and advice?
thanks for posting btw :h:
Reply 6
Original post by Analyst89
You need to see a GP regarding your anxiety and depression.

There are many options such as BTEC's, apprenticeships, hnc, university degree. open university degree, working and climbing up.

You can call the Samaritans on 116 123 and feel free to PM me if you feel the need to talk.

thank you so much for posting, i'll keep that in mind <3 i guess it was easy to think that it was the end thanks again :smile:
Yes many people suffer with mental health within jobs, you’re not alone❤️. People learn at different rates and u have time to improve your grades by doing past papers, making revision cards or taking to your teacher if u don’t understand the concept. Why don’t u ask some of your friends how they are getting higher grades and what they are doing they might help you. Chemistry is extremely hard my friend got a 9 at GCSE but is getting C/D’s at a-level, it’s considered the hardest science too, so don’t work yourself up about it. Teachers in college care less and don’t understand u have other things to do in your life, they do blame u but u just have to try and improve yourself.
Reply 8
Yes many people suffer with mental health within jobs, you’re not alone❤️. People learn at different rates and u have time to improve your grades by doing past papers, making revision cards or taking to your teacher if u don’t understand the concept. Why don’t u ask some of your friends how they are getting higher grades and what they are doing they might help you. Chemistry is extremely hard my friend got a 9 at GCSE but is getting C/D’s at a-level, it’s considered the hardest science too, so don’t work yourself up about it. Teachers in college care less and don’t understand u have other things to do in your life, they do blame u but u just have to try and improve yourself.

okay thank you so much for taking your time to respond. you're right, i really need to not let that get to me and just move on and improve, thanks again <3 :smile:
that's amazing, would you be willing to share your experience and advice?
thanks for posting btw :h:

I think other people here are right to highlight the number of different paths in life and that college then university then job isn't the only way. I took that route and regretted it immensely. University was too hard for me with my mental health issues and I graduated (eventually) with a 2:2 so not great.I wish I'd thought of doing something less academic and more hands-on as I think I could have done better that way.

I think it's also important to remember that what you're suffering with now won't necessarily always be the case. I'm 31 and since I was 19 or so I've had a really rough time, but I also notice that I am able to work now when in the past just getting out of bed and showering was too much for me. I'll have had my job for 3 years in September and generally cope with it most of the time. But you do also need to be realistic about what you can do.
the future is looking bleak, will i ever be able to find a job when i have this anxiety and depression? i want to become independent after i finish my a levels do an apprenticeship or go to uni. but everyone around me is getting good scores and i'm failing half the time. i was okay throughout the year, mostly getting B for biology and Art and psychology but D for chemistry.
But then everything changed after quarantine, my school still made us do end of year AS exams and i was feeling so depressed and anxious and couldn't concentrate on anything at all, let alone revision, my new meds made me sleepy so i wasted a lot of time sleeping and being half dead.
I still have a B for art but D in everything else and F for chemistry. They were not very empathetic about my situation, they simply scorned me and rambled about discipline and commitment. and i know i am pathetic but they were rude b*tches and did not give any practical advice on improvement. They said they would be understanding and give predicted grades based on the whole year but they just screwed me over and lied.
I'm at the point where i don't know what to do. Any input would be helpful.

You're not pathetic! Mental health is serious and as it is affecting your work they should be more understanding. I know that for UCAS my sixth form says they have until January to change our predicted grades, so maybe if you can push your grades up before then they would be willing to change your predictions. I'm sorry your school are acting like this, please look after yourself. Best of luck :smile:
I think other people here are right to highlight the number of different paths in life and that college then university then job isn't the only way. I took that route and regretted it immensely. University was too hard for me with my mental health issues and I graduated (eventually) with a 2:2 so not great.I wish I'd thought of doing something less academic and more hands-on as I think I could have done better that way.

I think it's also important to remember that what you're suffering with now won't necessarily always be the case. I'm 31 and since I was 19 or so I've had a really rough time, but I also notice that I am able to work now when in the past just getting out of bed and showering was too much for me. I'll have had my job for 3 years in September and generally cope with it most of the time. But you do also need to be realistic about what you can do.

Hi!, thank you so much for sharing this with me, it's really helpful and i wish you the best <3 you're right, i should keep perspective and think realistically about my situation right now. thank you so much this was very nice of you, lots of love, i will pray for your safety and well being hopefully your journey will become easier for you. :smile: :h:
Original post by Sebast1an
You're not pathetic! Mental health is serious and as it is affecting your work they should be more understanding. I know that for UCAS my sixth form says they have until January to change our predicted grades, so maybe if you can push your grades up before then they would be willing to change your predictions. I'm sorry your school are acting like this, please look after yourself. Best of luck :smile:

thank you for sharing your advice. I should definitely be more positive about my situation since there is a chance to change my grades still i forgot that i still have a last chance, thank you so much. i wish you luck too!! thanks again, <3
Hi,
thanks for your response! its really sweet of you :h: maybe i'll try that and see how it goes, i wanted to be less confrontational but clearly that's not working so i might as well and maybe show my angry face. thanks again

it's no problem. I'm glad to be of help :hugs:

Quick Reply

Latest