The Student Room Group

Not a huge fan of people the same age

is it just me? I feel like they are all not very nice people. They always have a "I'm better than you" attitude. I'm 27 btw. But yeah, my best friends are 2 years older and one is a year younger and they are great. Even in uni-the ones who are the same age are *rolls eyes* and I always found it easier to make friends with the ones who were a few years older.
27 and 29 is barely even an age gap. Not sure what 'the same age' really means if you're not including one year younger or two years older.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
is it just me? I feel like they are all not very nice people. They always have a "I'm better than you" attitude. I'm 27 btw. But yeah, my best friends are 2 years older and one is a year younger and they are great. Even in uni-the ones who are the same age are *rolls eyes* and I always found it easier to make friends with the ones who were a few years older.

Hi, I've always got on with people who are younger or older then me I'm not sure why but I've just had more of a connection with them.. I don't think there's anything wrong with people my age but I just haven't made friends with them!
Reply 3
When I was in my early 20s., I boozed with a load of bikers in their 50s and 60s. But a gap of two years is barely worth talking about, imo
Not so much the age thing which is important, but its a case of meeting the right people. You clearly can see people who are right and not right for you in your life, so thats a good thing,
Original post by Theloniouss
27 and 29 is barely even an age gap. Not sure what 'the same age' really means if you're not including one year younger or two years older.

Yes. I’m a bit confused by the thread.
I often found that people in my immediate peer group liked to compete a little too much, very often. By that I mean mostly people in a similar age group. And I mean unhealthy, petty competitions. Nonverbal crap like who gets to open the door first, or take up the most leg room. Instead of just acting natural and going with the flow.

Passive aggressiveness. That's it. I forgot the phrase.

I don't know why this is the case. Or rather, I don't have any handy generalisations to explain this behavior. Perhaps it's the case than when I hang around older people, or younger people... the majority of the 'pecking order' sort of feels like it's naturally already been established by virtue of our age gaps, and so people feel less need to 'prove themselves'. I don't know. I don't care to be honest.

Anyway, I'm slowly approaching the age where people stop asking your age basically. So it hardly matters anymore. Similar age as yourself by the way.
(edited 3 years ago)
If you meant people in the same yeargroup I would understand- I never liked them either but two years is practically the same age?
Original post by NonIndigenous
I often found that people in my immediate peer group liked to compete a little too much, very often. By that I mean mostly people in a similar age group. And I mean unhealthy, petty competitions. Nonverbal crap like who gets to open the door first. Instead of just acting natural and going with the flow.

I don't know why this is necessarily. Or rather, I don't have any handy generalisations to explain this behavior. Perhaps it's the case than when I hang around older people, or younger people... the majority of the 'pecking order' sort of feels like it's naturally already been established by virtue of our age gaps, and so people feel less need to 'prove themselves'. I don't know. I don't care to be honest.

Anyway, I'm slowly approaching the age where people stop asking your age basically. So it hardly matters anymore. Similar age as yourself by the way.

Hopefully not the same age or you guys won't get along
Hopefully not the same age or you guys won't get along

lol

Original post by YaliaV
Yes. I’m a bit confused by the thread.

Original post by NonIndigenous
I often found that people in my immediate peer group liked to compete a little too much, very often. By that I mean mostly people in a similar age group. And I mean unhealthy, petty competitions. Nonverbal crap like who gets to open the door first, or take up the most leg room. Instead of just acting natural and going with the flow.

I don't know why this is the case. Or rather, I don't have any handy generalisations to explain this behavior. Perhaps it's the case than when I hang around older people, or younger people... the majority of the 'pecking order' sort of feels like it's naturally already been established by virtue of our age gaps, and so people feel less need to 'prove themselves'. I don't know. I don't care to be honest.

Original post by Anonymous
If you meant people in the same yeargroup I would understand- I never liked them either but two years is practically the same age?

Yeah, I meant people who are the exact same age? Through highschool, I always preferred the people 1 year above and 1 year below etc. My year was just awful. Even now when I see them they are so stuck up and still competitive as hell? Whereas the ones who are older are more grown up? But the people from my year never seem to? In Uni, I made friends with someone who was 2 years older, one year younger, and someone who was 5 years older and they're just better. Whereas, the people who would have been in the same year at school- I could feel this energy that wasn't great.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending