The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

Does KCL offer biomedical science through clearing?

Question is in the title. I've got KCL biomed as my insurance offer but I want to go to KCL over my firm choice and was wondering if this would be possible (I'm unable to call KCL right now and ask as their lines are closed due to the pandemic). Thanks.
Original post by _kiiara_
Question is in the title. I've got KCL biomed as my insurance offer but I want to go to KCL over my firm choice and was wondering if this would be possible (I'm unable to call KCL right now and ask as their lines are closed due to the pandemic). Thanks.

On results day, you can reject your firm and go to ur insurance instead bearing in mind if you meet the requirements
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by dj_ad_1
On results day, you can reject your firm and go to ur insurance instead bearing in mind if you meet the requirements

first of all, thank you for the reply! Are you sure this Is how it works, because I've read that if you reject your firm offer on results day you go into clearing and not to your insurance offer hence my question aha. This whole uni business is so confusing :frown:
first of all, thank you for the reply! Are you sure this Is how it works, because I've read that if you reject your firm offer on results day you go into clearing and not to your insurance offer hence my question aha. This whole uni business is so confusing :frown:

Nope if you reject your firm and insurance or they both reject you thats when you go into clearing.
So basically all you need to do on the day is reject your firm offer and then accept your insurance and you should be ok.
Reply 5
I always thought that you can reject your firm on results day but that doesn’t mean your insurance will still have a place for you. If biomed isn’t in clearing, biomed is part of common year one so you could also apply in clearing to one of the other courses eg anatomy, neuroscience, biochemistry then switch when you get in
You can go through clearing but one thing thing to bare in mind is that sometimes KCL actually increases their entry requirements in clearing than they were originally. Also, biomedical science has a common year at KCL so you could always apply for one course and transfer after year one
Reply 7
Original post by Dechante
You can go through clearing but one thing thing to bare in mind is that sometimes KCL actually increases their entry requirements in clearing than they were originally. Also, biomedical science has a common year at KCL so you could always apply for one course and transfer after year one

I feel like you totally ignored my question. Ive already applied for unis and have gotten an offer for biomed at kings, however I put them as my insurance and not as my firm. If I get the grades I expect I will definitely get into my firm offer but id prefer to go to KCL instead hence its not a case of me applying to another course and transferring etc. I'm just wondering whether it would be possible to go to kings over my firm aha :smile:
I feel like you totally ignored my question. Ive already applied for unis and have gotten an offer for biomed at kings, however I put them as my insurance and not as my firm. If I get the grades I expect I will definitely get into my firm offer but id prefer to go to KCL instead hence its not a case of me applying to another course and transferring etc. I'm just wondering whether it would be possible to go to kings over my firm aha :smile:

No I get what you meant lollll. I'm trying to say you would have to go through clearing and even then if you went through clearing it's not 100 percent certain you could get a place despite already getting an offer from them. I was also adding the fact even through clearing they sometimes increase the entry requirements. Sorry if my wording was a bit confusing but that's the point I was trying to make.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Dechante
No I get what you meant lollll. I'm trying to say you would have to go through clearing and even then if you went through clearing it's not 100 percent certain you could get a place despite already getting an offer from them. I was also adding the fact even through clearing they sometimes increase the entry requirements. Sorry if my wording was a bit confusing but that's the point I was trying to make.

Oh okay aha. I just got confused when you said apply for a different course and transfer lol. Yeah I figured id most likely have to go through clearing, but I'd only do that if my grades were good. I don't mind going to my firm but I would prefer to go to KCL instead. I'll definitely meet the requirements for my firm since I got a lowered offer (CCC) so im not worried about that. Ill probably just have to wait til results day and call up KCL and see if they'd accept me. If I get a confirmation then id release myself into clearing and apply for KCL, and if I don't get the grades or they say they wouldn't be able to take me on I'll just leave everything as is and fo to my firm instead. Uni man, so many decisions and choices 😭
Oh okay aha. I just got confused when you said apply for a different course and transfer lol. Yeah I figured id most likely have to go through clearing, but I'd only do that if my grades were good. I don't mind going to my firm but I would prefer to go to KCL instead. I'll definitely meet the requirements for my firm since I got a lowered offer (CCC) so im not worried about that. Ill probably just have to wait til results day and call up KCL and see if they'd accept me. If I get a confirmation then id release myself into clearing and apply for KCL, and if I don't get the grades or they say they wouldn't be able to take me on I'll just leave everything as is and fo to my firm instead. Uni man, so many decisions and choices 😭

When I said apply for a different course and transfer I meant if you go through clearing and biomed isn't avaliable at KCL you could always apply for something like pharmacology there as they have the same modules in first year (called a common year) allowing you to change degrees after first year. Usually at KCL there's usually spaces left in clearing for science subjects so you have a good chance but I wouldn't say they reduce the grades as much as other unis like Birmingham and Exeter if that's something you're concerned about. I hope it all works out for you and you go to a uni you're happy at :smile:

Btw if you haven't seen the current clearing list this is what it looks like https://www.kcl.ac.uk/clearing/available-courses

Quick Reply

Latest