The Student Room Group

Raf cbat test

Okay, so I’ve got my RAF CBAT test on the 27th August (arranged today).

I’ve previously sat the Royal Navy Flight Aptitude test for the Aircrewman role and passed with flying colours, however didn’t pursue the Royal Navy as I got another career opportunity in Law. I’ve realise I made a mistake so have applied to the RAF and here we are today.

Is the RAF CBAT test for Weapon Systems Operator similar to the Test for the Aircrewman role in the Royal Navy? The test for the Royal Navy took me about 3/4 hours maximum and I was out by about lunch time, or is the CBAT for WSO the full test like the pilots? Last time for the RN test I ended up training on things I didn’t need!

Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

WSO or WSOp? Both are different roles.

WSO you undergo more tests than WSOp with a higher score required and different Stanines. You’ll only complete the tests required so you won’t undergo the full pilot battery.
Reply 2
Original post by AlphaTango
WSO or WSOp? Both are different roles.

WSO you undergo more tests than WSOp with a higher score required and different Stanines. You’ll only complete the tests required so you won’t undergo the full pilot battery.

Hello, thank you for your reply. It is the Weapon Systems Operator (WSOp) I have applied for.

Given the above, I assume it will be similar to the Royal Navy were I sat a smaller test than those applying for Pilot, Navigator and Air Traffic Controller.

Thank you very much for the help. :smile:
From memory I believe it’s still 11-12 tests so you’ll likely be there for hours.

As a RN aircrew man can only be employed in one role. WSOp can be employed in many and therefore various skill sets are tested.

Edit: If my last results are anything to go by WSOp was 11 tests and WSO 12 tests. Not sure how that compares to RN aircrewman.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 4
From memory I believe it’s still 11-12 tests so you’ll likely be there for hours.

As a RN aircrew man can only be employed in one role. WSOp can be employed in many and therefore various skill sets are tested.

Cool, thanks! Going to brush up on more revising then. Thanks for the help and making it clearer. :smile:
Reply 5

Cool, thanks! Going to brush up on more revising then. Thanks for the help and making it clearer. :smile:

EDIT: Ahh, okay. About double the time of the RN Aircrewman CBAT then. I sat the RN test comfortably, so going to crack on with what I didn’t do I think and hopefully it’ll be all good!
Reply 6
When I sat the CBAT in November, everybody did the full battery of tests including those who were there for WSOp. Can't attest to what the policy was then or now though
Reply 7
I think when I did mine I started about 8ish, got up at 6 and I believe you had to be at breakfast for 6:30 suited up. You get one 45 min break and one 5 min break every hour I think it was, I finished around 16:30 and there was about 6/7 left when I finished and we started with roughly 25/30. Earliest I saw someone finish was about 15:00, but he had no breaks and just cracked on. After a few tests you can see on the board in the waiting room your estimated finishing time.
Original post by WedgeAnt
When I sat the CBAT in November, everybody did the full battery of tests including those who were there for WSOp. Can't attest to what the policy was then or now though

I'm currently on hold as CBAT's haven't restarted yet, I've got the CBAT app, doing various Speed distance time tests, other than them what are your tips to getting high marks? and any tips for when i sit the exam you would do the second time round? Cheers!
Reply 9
I'm sure you've seen this site https://rafcbat.wordpress.com/ and I don't know if you've received your CBAT document from the RAF yet but the site I linked has most of the info duplicated in it.

As you can see, quick math and strong recall skills are useful for many of the tests so go about developing those, developing techniques that help you. Practice pushing yourself when things seem to be going bad - the CBAT lasts for ~ 6 hours and no matter how well it goes it will feel at time like you're doing badly in something so you need to be mentally prepared to keep working hard and push through. Time pressure management for similar reasons.

Again, read through the descriptions of the tests and create your own versions of them for practice. https://rafcbat.wordpress.com/table-reading-test-matf/ For the table reading test I had practiced this at home with some self printed tables and whilst like that make me sound like a numpty, it's really not a lot of effort to develop some techniques that really boost your marks. Remember, you're not competing against full marks but against the marks of everyone else doing CBATs.
Original post by WedgeAnt
I'm sure you've seen this site https://rafcbat.wordpress.com/ and I don't know if you've received your CBAT document from the RAF yet but the site I linked has most of the info duplicated in it.

As you can see, quick math and strong recall skills are useful for many of the tests so go about developing those, developing techniques that help you. Practice pushing yourself when things seem to be going bad - the CBAT lasts for ~ 6 hours and no matter how well it goes it will feel at time like you're doing badly in something so you need to be mentally prepared to keep working hard and push through. Time pressure management for similar reasons.

Again, read through the descriptions of the tests and create your own versions of them for practice. https://rafcbat.wordpress.com/table-reading-test-matf/ For the table reading test I had practiced this at home with some self printed tables and whilst like that make me sound like a numpty, it's really not a lot of effort to develop some techniques that really boost your marks. Remember, you're not competing against full marks but against the marks of everyone else doing CBATs.

Yes got all documentation and that website with the guides is a life saver, can't thank you enough, getting my printer out now haha!
Mines in 3 dayssss!!! Im sooo nervousssss ... I've been practising every day using the CBAT app and my verbal reasoning. Legit tho... time really do fly...
Original post by MikeyBWFC
Okay, so I’ve got my RAF CBAT test on the 27th August (arranged today).

I’ve previously sat the Royal Navy Flight Aptitude test for the Aircrewman role and passed with flying colours, however didn’t pursue the Royal Navy as I got another career opportunity in Law. I’ve realise I made a mistake so have applied to the RAF and here we are today.

Is the RAF CBAT test for Weapon Systems Operator similar to the Test for the Aircrewman role in the Royal Navy? The test for the Royal Navy took me about 3/4 hours maximum and I was out by about lunch time, or is the CBAT for WSO the full test like the pilots? Last time for the RN test I ended up training on things I didn’t need!

Thanks!

Original post by outhouse35
I'm currently on hold as CBAT's haven't restarted yet, I've got the CBAT app, doing various Speed distance time tests, other than them what are your tips to getting high marks? and any tips for when i sit the exam you would do the second time round? Cheers!

im booked in for the 4th of August! im so nervous!!!
Original post by Bigboss5015

Honestly, it isn't a bad day. The outcome can mean a lot but it's not worth causing too much discomfort over. Once you get going you'll get in the swing and you'll feel fine. Just don't focus on how well you're doing (good or bad), but ensure you're trying your best and your results will be a true reflection of your aptitude. It's all you can do. Just look at it as a set of games, but make sure you read the instructions and try your very best.

I enjoyed my experience. During this COVID time, there will only be like 16 of you in for testing so it'll be fairly chilled and a good opportunity to make some friends. I hope it works out well for you.
Original post by Bigboss5015

how did it go!
I’ve read somewhere that as well as Pilot and Pilot ISR(RPAS) that’s theres also a Pilot(ME) CBAT section now. Can anyone who’s sat it recently confirm or deny this?
If I remember rightly there was a separate scoring for Pilot (ME) however they don’t recruit as separate branches at this time. Manned flying is still just “Pilot”.
Original post by JodanP22
I’ve read somewhere that as well as Pilot and Pilot ISR(RPAS) that’s theres also a Pilot(ME) CBAT section now. Can anyone who’s sat it recently confirm or deny this?

There are currently only Pilot and Pilot ISR (RPAS) on the aptitude scoring sheets. If you're looking to go ME, you'll still be looking at achieving the Pilot score and if there was a Pilot (ME) branch separate, you should still be completing all relevant tests during the CBAT and I personally can't imagine that the scoring would be too dissimilar from the current requirements.
Thanks for the info👍🏼
What’s the difference between the ME and ISR pilot ?

Quick Reply

Latest