The Student Room Group

Can you still get a speeding fine/ticket even if police didn’t stop you?

So I was driving recklessly tonight after my mates kept pressuring me to race a bike(ik I did wrong and shouldn’t have listened to them but still expecting to get hate) and I looked in my rear view mirror whilst speeding and 2 police cars were coming up behind with their sirens on (they weren’t very close to me when I noticed them but they definitely saw me speeding) I slowed down and pulled over and they didn’t stop me, it seemed like they were chasing the bike that was speeding extremely fast but idk (couldn’t catch him in a S3 my guess he was doing 100 in a 40) . The 2 police cars carried on after I stopped which prob means they were after somebody else or the bike (my guess is they’d be after completely someone else as there was 2 police cars rather than 1) but can I still get a speeding fine even though they didn’t stop me?
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I mean, it's likely that you will still get a ticket, if they took note of your plate or you were captured by speed cameras. Expect the worst and the only real advice I can give you is to ignore your friends if they pressure you. At the end of the day it's your car and your liability not theirs
Apt username
Reply 3
Original post by Joseph Green
I mean, it's likely that you will still get a ticket, if they took note of your plate or you were captured by speed cameras. Expect the worst and the only real advice I can give you is to ignore your friends if they pressure you. At the end of the day it's your car and your liability not theirs

There were no speed cameras it was just them
Original post by R4CEWARS
There were no speed cameras it was just them

Well, still expect a fine to show up through your letterbox. If it doesn't: great! But be more careful. If it does: pay the fine and learn from your mistakes I guess.
Reply 5
Original post by Joseph Green
Well, still expect a fine to show up through your letterbox. If it doesn't: great! But be more careful. If it does: pay the fine and learn from your mistakes I guess.

True, I’m just unsure how they’d be able to prove it. Yes they have a dashcam but I was a fair distance away from them when I saw their sirens
So I was driving recklessly tonight after my mates kept pressuring me to race a bike(ik I did wrong and shouldn’t have listened to them but still expecting to get hate) and I looked in my rear view mirror whilst speeding and 2 police cars were coming up behind with their sirens on (they weren’t very close to me when I noticed them but they definitely saw me speeding) I slowed down and pulled over and they didn’t stop me, it seemed like they were chasing the bike that was speeding extremely fast but idk (couldn’t catch him in a S3 my guess he was doing 100 in a 40) . The 2 police cars carried on after I stopped which prob means they were after somebody else or the bike (my guess is they’d be after completely someone else as there was 2 police cars rather than 1) but can I still get a speeding fine even though they didn’t stop me?

Theoretically, yes you could if they have sufficient evidence from their onboard cameras, but it's unlikely because the police didn't stop to speak to you.
The other way would be if you went through a speed camera and didn't see it or know it was there.
IF you're going to be prosecuted for speeding (or any other driving offence), you will receive a Notice of Intended Prosecution together with a requirement to provide details of the driver through the post within 14 days.

Please don't do it again. Far too many young people get killed or seriously injured on our roads due to doing things like this.
Next time your mates try to get you to do something foolish, tell them no - you don't want to get killed or kill them.

IIRC, road racing used to be an automatic ban.

If they didn't stop, I suspect that it's probably that you will not hear anything further. It's still possible that they send you a NIP though, so you'll have to wait 2 weeks.

Be safe.
Reply 8
Original post by Appirition
Theoretically, yes you could if they have sufficient evidence from their onboard cameras, but it's unlikely because the police didn't stop to speak to you.
The other way would be if you went through a speed camera and didn't see it or know it was there.
IF you're going to be prosecuted for speeding (or any other driving offence), you will receive a Notice of Intended Prosecution together with a requirement to provide details of the driver through the post within 14 days.

Please don't do it again. Far too many young people get killed or seriously injured on our roads due to doing things like this.
Next time your mates try to get you to do something foolish, tell them no - you don't want to get killed or kill them.

I 100% know there wasnt a camera there but i do know they prob saw me speeding, at first I thought I was in a pursuit as I was going fast in a 40 and saw the sirens in my rear view mirror so me and my mates were waiting for them to pull us over as I stopped. (The bike still sped off) But yeah lesson is 100% learned. I think they were chasing something else tho as there was 2 police cars rather than 1
(edited 3 years ago)
True, I’m just unsure how they’d be able to prove it. Yes they have a dashcam but I was a fair distance away from them when I saw their sirens

All the high performance police vehicles have calibrated speedometers. They use the information recorded on the cameras to measure distance against time between two fixed points, and calculate your speed from that, checked against the speed of their own vehicle travelling the same distance.
Reply 10
All the high performance police vehicles have calibrated speedometers. They use the information recorded on the cameras to measure distance against time between two fixed points, and calculate your speed from that, checked against the speed of their own vehicle travelling the same distance.

Ah didn’t know that. So they probably knew how fast I was going despite them being pretty far away. Now I’m just trying to 1. figure out why they didnt stop me even after I stopped and 2. If they can still give me a ticket despite not stopping me
(edited 3 years ago)
Ah didn’t know that. So they probably knew how fast I was going despite them being pretty far away

They could certainly find out if they choose to go back through the recorded footage from their onboard cameras.
Ah didn’t know that. So they probably knew how fast I was going despite them being pretty far away. Now I’m just trying to 1. figure out why they didnt stop me even after I stopped and 2. If they can still give me a ticket despite not stopping me

1) If they're already on a job, and your speeding is less important than the job they're on, they won't stop to talk to you.
2) I've already answered this
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 13
They could certainly find out if they choose to go back through the recorded footage from their onboard cameras.

Don’t think they’d be that bored enough to do that, especially on a busy sat night
Don’t think they’d be that bored enough to do that, especially on a busy sat night

It has nothing to do with being bored. If they were traffic police / roads policing unit, it's their job to keep our roads as safe as possible, so if they saw you speeding for long enough, they might decide to go back through the camera footage when they get back to a police station.
As they didn't stop to talk to you, there is no way of knowing for sure whether or not you're going to be prosecuted. All you can do is wait for 14 days. If you still haven't heard anything after 14 days, you've been lucky.
You can still get a NIP, even if they didn’t stop you. Just because they are busy on another incident, it doesn’t mean they will let your speeding slide and not do anything.
They would need an accurate reading of your speed, people think police can just use their eyes and detect your speed and report you and take it to court even though sometimes they do that as judges nowadays just believe a coppers word even without evidence, unless you went through speed cams or the vehicles were fitted with speed enforcement systems then its very unlikely they'll bother reporting you, also hate to break it to people but their dashcams only record their speed, road they're on, if lights are activated etc, they do not record a vehicles speed..they can obviously see someone fly past them which doesn't look good but in no way can they accurately tell your speed and this "between two point" isn't an accurate way of judging speed it just supports the officers professional opinion of your speed he seen with his eyes, same with dashcams all they do is support the officers opinion that you were speeding. Not to mention if the officers get your speed on a calibrated speedometer and decide to not pull you and carry on dealing with other things they cannot come back to that and use that agaisn't you as the accuracy would be void, however if they get you with a radar gun then its a whole different thing.

Also, don't speed...it will catch up with you eventually and think speeding is the most pointless thing and hope the police do catch all speeders but i don't agree with just taking a coppers word without evidence which seems to be happening an awful lot nowadays and know someone who went court and got found guilty based purely on the officers word and he had no reading of his speed etc, i'm assuming this was in the UK.
(edited 3 years ago)

More than likely they would've stopped you. But yes, they can send something to you and if it was the traffic cops they usually are equipped with dashcams so expect something if you suspect they've clocked you as well.
Reply 18

You could hsve been caught on a speed camera though. I hope the police succeed in catching and prosecuting these reckless and selfish people!
Reply 19
Lol the fact you even considered racing a motorcycle in a car is the more concerning part of the story. An S3 is gonna get spanked by pretty much any 600cc plus bike.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending