The Student Room Group

When does uni ask for transcript?

Starting my third year physics at York uni in Sep 2020. Planing to do a master in 2021, so I will start my application in Oct 2020. In got 58 for year 1 and 62 for year 2, It doesn’t look good, hopefully I can work to 80+ for year 3(last two years counts). If the requirement is a first, will they give me the opportunity until summer to see my whole grade, or it’s more likely they will reject straightaway when they see my year 1&2 transcript.
Reply 1
Most unis will ask for a partial transcript if you're still studying at the time of application, so might be worth asking them beforehand how lenient they are with issuing conditional offers considering previous grades.

When's the deadline for the course you'd be applying to? If you're worried about an early rejection, but the deadline isn't until say September (as I imagine quite a few courses do), you could always wait until you've received your final grade in June/July and apply for your course that same summer :smile: I held off applying for my MSc until after I knew what I was graduating with, which worked out for me since I could then apply for courses that were higher than what I initially predicted for myself
Original post by SamueldoMathPhy
Starting my third year physics at York uni in Sep 2020. Planing to do a master in 2021, so I will start my application in Oct 2020. In got 58 for year 1 and 62 for year 2, It doesn’t look good, hopefully I can work to 80+ for year 3(last two years counts). If the requirement is a first, will they give me the opportunity until summer to see my whole grade, or it’s more likely they will reject straightaway when they see my year 1&2 transcript.

Hello! I have just been through an MA application process so I might be able to help :smile: My postgrad uni, Nottingham, asked me to provide my first and second year transcripts. Then they gave me a conditional offer based on my final grade being a 2:1. So not really that much different to undergrad: you give them grades achieved so far and relevant experience (I had to write a personal statement), they decide whether to give you an offer based on that, and then you provide them with the evidence you got the grade they required :cool:
I was in a similar position last year. I got high 2:2s from my 1st and 2nd year and wanted to apply for an MSc at a Russell group uni. I didn't apply until January of my 3rd year so my dissertation supervisor got to know me and I got some marks from my final year. Luckily all my results were 1sts and I showed great improvement from my previous years so I got a killer reference from my supervisor that convinced the uni that I was capable of achieving at least a 2:1.
If you are in the border of 2:2/2:1 by the end of your 2nd year and if your target uni wants you to have at least a 2:1, I recommend you apply earliest half way final year to prove to your referees that you can achieve higher (2:1/1st) grades (and for them to properly know you).
Original post by Pikkukaveri
I was in a similar position last year. I got high 2:2s from my 1st and 2nd year and wanted to apply for an MSc at a Russell group uni. I didn't apply until January of my 3rd year so my dissertation supervisor got to know me and I got some marks from my final year. Luckily all my results were 1sts and I showed great improvement from my previous years so I got a killer reference from my supervisor that convinced the uni that I was capable of achieving at least a 2:1.
If you are in the border of 2:2/2:1 by the end of your 2nd year and if your target uni wants you to have at least a 2:1, I recommend you apply earliest half way final year to prove to your referees that you can achieve higher (2:1/1st) grades (and for them to properly know you).

Hello, I think you may have replied in the wrong post, or be confused? I already have all of my uni results, Nottingham just is not accepting them as valid and I do not know why :smile:
Original post by emiloujess
Hello, I think you may have replied in the wrong post, or be confused? I already have all of my uni results, Nottingham just is not accepting them as valid and I do not know why :smile:

Really? The original post for me is showing a question from SamueldoMathPhy asking about 3rd year grades... How odd.
Original post by Pikkukaveri
Really? The original post for me is showing a question from SamueldoMathPhy asking about 3rd year grades... How odd.

Oh poop, I thought you were responding to my post in the same forum! Sorry for the confusion :tongue: I saw my post just above yours and thought it was mine. 2am brain :afraid:
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by emiloujess
Oh poop, I thought you were responding to my post in the same forum! Sorry for the confusion :tongue: I saw my post just above yours and thought it was mine. 2am brain :afraid:

Ahh! That makes more sense :biggrin:!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending