The Student Room Group

Should women be allowed to breastfeed in public?

1st to 7th August 2020 is World Breastfeeding Week, with this year's theme being about supporting women who choose to breastfeed. Breastfeeding can be quite a controversial topic, so here on TSR we wanted to have some open, friendly discussions about opinions on breastfeeding.

Should women be allowed to breastfeed in public? Why or why not?

REMINDER:

Spoiler

(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I think women should be able to breastfeed in public.
We have no control when baby gets hungry.
Providing its done in a dignified way yes why not!!!!!
This is still a controversial thing? :confused:
I have made the decision not to do it myself but yes of course people should be able to feed their baby in the way they want to and not feel ashamed of it.
Reply 4
Yes, why not!! And leaving this argument aside breasts are exploited in so many way it would be ridiculous hypocrisy to say otherwise. I wouldn’t even make the proviso that it has to be dignified, or course try to make some comfortable provisions for it, but it’s not as if it’s a flaunting or sexual thing and a glimpse of a milk engorged boob isn’t going to hurt anyone. Isn’t this allowed anyway?
It's ridiculous that this topic is still controversial. The only people who have issues with women breastfeeding in public are those who sexualise women's bodies and that's their problem. Everyone should be able to eat in public, including babies.
Original post by Karisa96
I think women should be able to breastfeed in public.
We have no control when baby gets hungry.
Providing its done in a dignified way yes why not!!!!!

I agree. To me, breastfeeding a baby in pubic is no different to a parent giving their toddler a snack in public. If your child needs feeding, you feed them.
Original post by StriderHort
This is still a controversial thing? :confused:

Sadly, yes. I don't know about you, but I often see reports about mums who have been asked to leave cafes or other public places because they were breastfeeding, even if they were fully covered up. For some reason, some people find it offensive for a woman to feed her child in a public place. This isn't okay, obviously.
Original post by claireestelle
I have made the decision not to do it myself but yes of course people should be able to feed their baby in the way they want to and not feel ashamed of it.

I agree. Fed is best.
Original post by Zarek
Yes, why not!! And leaving this argument aside breasts are exploited in so many way it would be ridiculous hypocrisy to say otherwise. I wouldn’t even make the proviso that it has to be dignified, or course try to make some comfortable provisions for it, but it’s not as if it’s a flaunting or sexual thing and a glimpse of a milk engorged boob isn’t going to hurt anyone. Isn’t this allowed anyway?

Women are allowed to breastfeed in public, but even so some women are still asked to leave or hide away in grotty toilets to feed their child because one or two people are offended by it.
Of course they should as long as they do it discreetly which is basic good manners
Yes. I have a certain level of disappointment that it is even an issue, and when the Scottish Parliament passed a law so that breastfeeding was something that could not be an offence in public felt sad they felt a law was needed. Breasts are for this purpose, not just to be admired or gawped at by others (mainly men), however beautiful they may be to the person seeing them.
Reply 9
Yes, of course it should. A woman feeding her baby is not hurting anyone, and Id much rather have that than have to listen to a hungry one crying.
Original post by LovelyMrFox
Yes, of course it should. A woman feeding her baby is not hurting anyone, and Id much rather have that than have to listen to a hungry one crying.

Exactly, that piercing scream of a hungry baby goes right through you :hand:
As Boris said, Eat Out to Help Out and no one is too young :tongue:
Original post by DrawTheLine
Sadly, yes. I don't know about you, but I often see reports about mums who have been asked to leave cafes or other public places because they were breastfeeding, even if they were fully covered up. For some reason, some people find it offensive for a woman to feed her child in a public place. This isn't okay, obviously.

It's the sort of thing I heard a lot more about 10-20 years ago, I really hoped we'd kind of moved by that and the sort of people who would object are now socially akin to drunk drivers. I know you've said we have to be respectful and polite to different opinions,...but, well, I'd happily shout someone down over that.
It's the sort of thing I heard a lot more about 10-20 years ago, I really hoped we'd kind of moved by that and the sort of people who would object are now socially akin to drunk drivers. I know you've said we have to be respectful and polite to different opinions,...but, well, I'd happily shout someone down over that.

The Scottish law was passed in 2005- The Breastfeeding etc (Scotland) Act 2005, suggests it was more common indeed.
Yes they should. But I don’t think it gives people the right to say demand use of a shops seating or cafe and do it there if not a paying customer.
If ordering a coffee in a cafe then fine.
(Also there are quite a few militant Brest feeders who do want to display their boobs to make a point which should be avoided in public, rather than an accidental flash which can’t be helped)
Yes. Babies need to be fed. It’s literally one of the most natural things.
Imo it's minor. If a child is hungry and needs that breast milk, let the child cry for a bit (to create a reason) and then give it to him while making sure to cover yourself so prying onlookers can lessen their judgement.
Original post by Jang Gwangnam
Imo it's minor. If a child is hungry and needs that breast milk, let the child cry for a bit (to create a reason) and then give it to him while making sure to cover yourself so prying onlookers can lessen their judgement.

So...put the incels feelings before everyone else's basically? :tongue:
Yes they definitely should. Although I'm not sure how 'comfortable' I would feel breastfeeding in public... I think it's an ingrained feeling of embarrassment that society has sadly caused. Hopefully with awareness of the topic, the taboo and embarrassment should reduce :yep:
So...put the incels feelings before everyone else's basically? :tongue:

Yeah, you can’t have loads of people getting horny over ***checks notes*** babies being fed.

Quick Reply

Latest