The Student Room Group

Transition from Year 10 to Year 11

Hello,
I was wondering if you had any advice/tips of what I could do now in the Summer Holiday to prepare and be ready for Year 11?

I have summer homework set by the school but I feel like that isn't enough to do since I want to achieve the best I can. I also want to be fully prepared for next year, so I can get the good results. Any advice?

Thank You

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Make sure you have files for every subject, keep it tidy and regular revise recently learnt topics. Also I'd print off the teacher guidance notes so you know Exactly what you need to learn. You'd have to check on your exam boards website.
Original post by micro123
Make sure you have files for every subject, keep it tidy and regular revise recently learnt topics. Also I'd print off the teacher guidance notes so you know Exactly what you need to learn. You'd have to check on your exam boards website.

Thank you so much. This was really helpful. :smile:
Reply 3
I actually wouldn’t advise doing lots of work over the holidays. You’ll need to work really hard when you start year 11 so it’s best to relax bow so you can feel refreshed for going back to school.

In terms of getting top grades, I’d say the most important thing will be to get into a good study routine after the summer. You should set yourself a set number of hours that your going to study for after school and at weekends which can include both homework and revision.

Personally, I’d say 2.5 hours on a school night and 6 hours over the weekend is a good place to start in September. This can then increase to 3.5 hours a night during the week and 10 hours at weekends in March. The key thing though is that this time needs to be non-negotiable- treat your study time like a job. You shouldn’t be making up excuses to avoid doing your revision.

I’d also say to set an ambitious but achievable goal for your grades right at the start of the year. Write it down and stick it above your study area- this will be a great motivation to work hard.
Original post by Flk10
I actually wouldn’t advise doing lots of work over the holidays. You’ll need to work really hard when you start year 11 so it’s best to relax bow so you can feel refreshed for going back to school.

In terms of getting top grades, I’d say the most important thing will be to get into a good study routine after the summer. You should set yourself a set number of hours that your going to study for after school and at weekends which can include both homework and revision.

Personally, I’d say 2.5 hours on a school night and 6 hours over the weekend is a good place to start in September. This can then increase to 3.5 hours a night during the week and 10 hours at weekends in March. The key thing though is that this time needs to be non-negotiable- treat your study time like a job. You shouldn’t be making up excuses to avoid doing your revision.

I’d also say to set an ambitious but achievable goal for your grades right at the start of the year. Write it down and stick it above your study area- this will be a great motivation to work hard.

Thank you so much. This was really helpful :smile:
heyyy, i’m in the same boat as you!

i’m not going full out this holiday, it is a holiday after all, so i’m allowing myself to do my thing and not be on the study game all day every day. your priority should be any work from online school you didn’t get to complete firstly, of course you may not have any (i’ve got a few poems to catch up on from when we were at school! 🤭) then revision. you don’t need to go over the top with this. you said you’re school had set summer work. have you done it yet? i’d make the completion of that your first goal. then, if you don’t feel like you’re doing enough, go through the content for your options and create revision resources now. it’ll benefit you massively making them now, rather than in the midst of year 11.

if you need anything, lmk, i’d be happy to help :hugs:
Original post by Nutella!

i’m not going full out this holiday, it is a holiday after all, so i’m allowing myself to do my thing and not be on the study game all day every day. your priority should be any work from online school you didn’t get to complete firstly, of course you may not have any (i’ve got a few poems to catch up on from when we were at school! 🤭) then revision. you don’t need to go over the top with this. you said you’re school had set summer work. have you done it yet? i’d make the completion of that your first goal. then, if you don’t feel like you’re doing enough, go through the content for your options and create revision resources now. it’ll benefit you massively making them now, rather than in the midst of year 11.

Reply 7

how much revision do you think i should do a day in the holidays? thx
Original post by Abu-bakr
how much revision do you think i should do a day in the holidays? thx

hiya! i’m assuming your moving into year 11 too?

in terms of revision, you don’t want to overwork yourself as you’ll burn out quickly and that’s just not worth it. personally, i’m not revising everyday, but i’ll give you a sample of what i do when i do revise, see if it helps.

i’ll take what i did on friday for example. i was doing poetry for my english and i annotated one full poem from scratch and made flashcards of 3/4 key quotes from each of the poems i’ve already annotated again (roughly 6). so not too much. i think it’s better to focus on just one subject a day, but if you wanted to do more, you could do a section of maths in the morning for example and then some chemistry in the evening. you just don’t want to be at it all day, every day. it is called the holidays for a reason.
Reply 9
hiya! i’m assuming your moving into year 11 too?

in terms of revision, you don’t want to overwork yourself as you’ll burn out quickly and that’s just not worth it. personally, i’m not revising everyday, but i’ll give you a sample of what i do when i do revise, see if it helps.

i’ll take what i did on friday for example. i was doing poetry for my english and i annotated one full poem from scratch and made flashcards of 3/4 key quotes from each of the poems i’ve already annotated again (roughly 6). so not too much. i think it’s better to focus on just one subject a day, but if you wanted to do more, you could do a section of maths in the morning for example and then some chemistry in the evening. you just don’t want to be at it all day, every day. it is called the holidays for a reason.

yh im moving to year 11,
thank u so much, you've helped me alot:smile:
Original post by Abu-bakr
yh im moving to year 11,
thank u so much, you've helped me alot:smile:

i really hope year 11 is smooth sailing for you!
and no worries! none at all! if you need anything, feel free to PM me :hugs:
do some revision but not too much as you don't want to be burnt out. organise your notes from year 10 and make sure you've made notes on all the content you've covered so far in lessons; you'll thank yourself when you need to revise for mocks :yep: make sure you take out time to recharge and relax.
I am in year 10, moving into year 11.I am kinda worried about GCSE but I think you could go over physics formulas and any topics that you didn't really understand .
Original post by absolutelysprout
do some revision but not too much as you don't want to be burnt out. organise your notes from year 10 and make sure you've made notes on all the content you've covered so far in lessons; you'll thank yourself when you need to revise for mocks :yep: make sure you take out time to recharge and relax.

Original post by foreverrocking
I am in year 10, moving into year 11.I am kinda worried about GCSE but I think you could go over physics formulas and any topics that you didn't really understand .

Original post by lulumillie02
Hello,
I was wondering if you had any advice/tips of what I could do now in the Summer Holiday to prepare and be ready for Year 11?

I have summer homework set by the school but I feel like that isn't enough to do since I want to achieve the best I can. I also want to be fully prepared for next year, so I can get the good results. Any advice?

Thank You

You could re-read eng lit books and look for powerful quotes for each character and analyse them to practice and the might be helpful in future..for maths memorise formulas and for science try past papers a d find ur weaknesses so u know what to improve on idk what other subjects u do so yh thats it i guess good luck for year 11!!

Also i heard that u will do open book exam so I'm not sure if this advice will be useful but yh.
Original post by Imamess
You could re-read eng lit books and look for powerful quotes for each character and analyse them to practice and the might be helpful in future..for maths memorise formulas and for science try past papers a d find ur weaknesses so u know what to improve on idk what other subjects u do so yh thats it i guess good luck for year 11!!

Also i heard that u will do open book exam so I'm not sure if this advice will be useful but yh.

i really hope year 11 is smooth sailing for you!
and no worries! none at all! if you need anything, feel free to PM me :hugs:

thank u soo much
Original post by lulumillie02

no worries, best of luck with year 11!:smile:
Original post by absolutelysprout
no worries, best of luck with year 11!:smile:

Thank you :h:
Fingers crossed this next year will go well.

Quick Reply

Latest