The Student Room Group

physics- strong and weak interaction help pls

I literally can't understand it and idk why.
pls could someone briefly explain this?

what exactly do they do? why is it that leptons can only interact through weak interaction and not the strong?
and why is Strangeness conserved in the strong and not in weak?
and why is the weak interaction is the only interaction that can change a quark's character

thanks so much :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by vix.xvi
I literally can't understand it and idk why.
pls could someone briefly explain this?

what exactly do they do? why is it that leptons can only interact through weak interaction and not the strong?
and why is Strangeness conserved in the strong and not in weak?
and why is the weak interaction is the only interaction that can change a quark's character

thanks so much :smile:

Hey im not the best person to explain it since im learning it aswell but i would suggest going on Seneca and choose the physics alevel course for your exam board and SnapRevise on YT and type in physics ‘fundamental forces’ i think. They’re both really helpful.
Edit, link to snaprevise https://youtu.be/A6tKvQDZGVw
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Humairazaman
Hey im not the best person to explain it since im learning it aswell but i would suggest going on Seneca and choose the physics alevel course for your exam board and SnapRevise on YT and type in physics ‘fundamental forces’ i think. They’re both really helpful.
Edit, link to snaprevise https://youtu.be/A6tKvQDZGVw

thank youuu
what year r u in
Original post by vix.xvi
thank youuu
what year r u in

2nd time now! yr 11:biggrin:
Original post by Humairazaman
2nd time now! yr 11:biggrin:

omg lmao i remember now
There are 4 fundamental forces : gravity, elecgromagnetic, weak nuclear and strong nuclear.

The strong nuclear force acts between nucleons (neutrons and protons).

Between 0.5fm and 3fm it is attractive, at seperations smaller than this its repulsive. Its used to overcome electrostatic repulsion in atoms to hold the atoms together (coz you have protons in a nucleus and they repel each other, so some force must be there to keep the atom together: that force is called the strong nuclear force.

As I said, SNF only works between nucleons, so it can act on hadrons. But a lepton is a fundamental particle and is not a nucleon (proton or neutron) so it does not interact between them.

I can't remember the answers to your other questions, but if you're doing aqa I don't think you have to know why, you just need to know the facts, but check spec to be sure. Still good to try and find out tho.
Original post by gyuigygh
There are 4 fundamental forces : gravity, elecgromagnetic, weak nuclear and strong nuclear.

The strong nuclear force acts between nucleons (neutrons and protons).

Between 0.5fm and 3fm it is attractive, at seperations smaller than this its repulsive. Its used to overcome electrostatic repulsion in atoms to hold the atoms together (coz you have protons in a nucleus and they repel each other, so some force must be there to keep the atom together: that force is called the strong nuclear force.

As I said, SNF only works between nucleons, so it can act on hadrons. But a lepton is a fundamental particle and is not a nucleon (proton or neutron) so it does not interact between them.

I can't remember the answers to your other questions, but if you're doing aqa I don't think you have to know why, you just need to know the facts, but check spec to be sure. Still good to try and find out tho.

thank you so muchhh
thank you!
PRSOM :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest