The Student Room Group

EPQ Panic - is it too late?

(Going anon because I'm ashamed of my poor time management lol)

We started planning our EPQs at the end of last year (october/november) and since then, I've made a rough plan I want to do, I initially checked it with my EPQ teacher (ages ago though) and I pretty much haven't thought about it since. I know August is the time where a majority of the EPQ is finished up, but since I essentially haven't started, is it too late?
I'm panicking quite a bit here, so any reassurance would be great. Although, if you think I'm screwed, I'd rather hear it than waste my time.
Thanks in advance.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
(Going anon because I'm ashamed of my poor time management lol)

We started planning our EPQs at the end of last year (october/november) and since then, I've made a rough plan I want to do, I initially checked it with my EPQ teacher (ages ago though) and I pretty much haven't thought about it since. I know August is the time where a majority of the EPQ is finished up, but since I essentially haven't started, is it too late?
I'm panicking quite a bit here, so any reassurance would be great. Although, if you think I'm screwed, I'd rather hear it than waste my time.
Thanks in advance.

omg i also have poor time management
its fine though we have roughly 3-4 weeks left you've got this! :smile:
I guess it depends on what project you've picked. If it's due in Sept you still have a solid month. Spend a whole day drafting and planning a timetable, divide the work into chunks. Spend at least 3 hours per day on it, treat it as any other A Level subj and you should make significant progress.
It’s possible but tough. I wanted to get mine done with so I did the opposite to you, and did it all in one week in the Christmas break. Mine was purely essay based, and though I did one interview before this week, I wrote it all in this time. It’s definitely possible. Just make sure that you have a clear plan. I went off my plan a little when I realised it wasn’t the clearest. Also make sure you I have good references. It took me as long as it did to write it, to find the best information to use.
Reply 4
I guess it depends on what project you've picked. If it's due in Sept you still have a solid month. Spend a whole day drafting and planning a timetable, divide the work into chunks. Spend at least 3 hours per day on it, treat it as any other A Level subj and you should make significant progress.

Technically, it's due in october, but I doubt I'll have much time to do my EPQ in September with actual a level stuff going on (depends on how desperate I get). The topic I've picked is an artefact - I was planning to write my own song, but now I'm leaning towards just doing a purely essay-based EPQ about music.
Thank you for the tips though, they're super helpful.
Reply 5
omg i also have poor time management
its fine though we have roughly 3-4 weeks left you've got this! :smile:

ahaha are you doing epq as well? if so, how's it going?
Reply 6
Original post by TsRtSr1001
It’s possible but tough. I wanted to get mine done with so I did the opposite to you, and did it all in one week in the Christmas break. Mine was purely essay based, and though I did one interview before this week, I wrote it all in this time. It’s definitely possible. Just make sure that you have a clear plan. I went off my plan a little when I realised it wasn’t the clearest. Also make sure you I have good references. It took me as long as it did to write it, to find the best information to use.

Okay, this is quite reassuring. If you can write the essay within a week, I'm sure I can do it in 3. Thank you!
ahaha are you doing epq as well? if so, how's it going?

lol omg i hate it, regret doing this so much but WE CAN DO IT!!!!!!!!!
i've still got half left to do and i don't want to write this crap anymore.
how are you today? :h:
Reply 8
lol omg i hate it, regret doing this so much but WE CAN DO IT!!!!!!!!!
i've still got half left to do and i don't want to write this crap anymore.
how are you today? :h:

loool literal mood and I've barely started.
I'm so panicky today I swear, today has not been it :colonhash:
also, out of curiosity, what's your epq topic?
loool literal mood and I've barely started.
I'm so panicky today I swear, today has not been it :colonhash:
also, out of curiosity, what's your epq topic?

its about mars and space!!! and stars and the history of the names, greek and roman sh*t but i'm so done with existential crisis so writing about it sucks
i hope you don't feel too down!!! love you <3 but yeah today has definitely not been it
hope yours goes well:smile:
its about mars and space!!! and stars and the history of the names, greek and roman sh*t but i'm so done with existential crisis so writing about it sucks
i hope you don't feel too down!!! love you <3 but yeah today has definitely not been it
hope yours goes well:smile:

That sounds genuinely interesting omg (I'm a big fan of astronomy stuff) minus the existential crisis though
thanks for the support :h:
goodluck with your epq, by the sounds of it, it's A* material ahaha :biggrin:
When is your EPQ being submitted?
Original post by _gcx
When is your EPQ being submitted?

According to my teacher, we submit it on 5 November, but we are expected to have finished it and given it in early october.
haha sameee! I'm planning on getting mine done over the hols so am going to section out a time of my day every day (just 20-30 mins or smth) to getting the essay done :smile:
its never too late
According to my teacher, we submit it on 5 November, but we are expected to have finished it and given it in early october.

Yeah you'll probably be ok. I would recommend starting as soon as, just so you won't be able to keep on putting it off, but if you have a decent plan that's easily manageable. (you could cram it in the last few days but that'd be unnecessarily stressful and it'd be rushed, better to space it)
Original post by laurawatt
haha sameee! I'm planning on getting mine done over the hols so am going to section out a time of my day every day (just 20-30 mins or smth) to getting the essay done :smile:

You seem pretty calm about it which is quite reassuring haha (because when I tell you I've been stressing all day ugh)
How much have you done so far? My rough plan seems to be falling apart a little, but I'm just putting all my efforts into it now - so essentially I haven't done anything :frown:
Original post by _gcx
Yeah you'll probably be ok. I would recommend starting as soon as, just so you won't be able to keep on putting it off, but if you have a decent plan that's easily manageable. (you could cram it in the last few days but that'd be unnecessarily stressful and it'd be rushed, better to space it)

Okay, that's great to know. It seems overwhelming right now because I don't know where to start with planning, writing up the essay, finding references, interviews, etc. Either way, thanks for the reassurance!
You seem pretty calm about it which is quite reassuring haha (because when I tell you I've been stressing all day ugh)
How much have you done so far? My rough plan seems to be falling apart a little, but I'm just putting all my efforts into it now - so essentially I haven't done anything:frown:

I've not written much, maybe 400 words? but it's just a muddle rn aha. Have got the intro and aim of the project but that's basically it :redface:

So I guess you know what topic you're doing it about, and have done a bit of research about it? Make sure to note down the websites/books/documentaries you read/watch and the date you read/watch them so that referencing gets a lot easier! (I use an online referencing generator so that it formats it exactly right).
I think the main hurdle to overcome is actually starting it, so maybe sit down for 10 minutes and just write/type a rough plan of what your essay will consist of, and the order of what you'll talk about -> that will help you to be more focussed on what you actually need to find out in order to write your essay, and what bits are just 'extra' supplementary bits - so you know what is your priority :smile:

If you need interviews with people you don't know, then email them sooner rather than later and maybe email a couple of people so you'll hopefully get a reply from one of them? :smile:
Original post by laurawatt
I've not written much, maybe 400 words? but it's just a muddle rn aha. Have got the intro and aim of the project but that's basically it :redface:

So I guess you know what topic you're doing it about, and have done a bit of research about it? Make sure to note down the websites/books/documentaries you read/watch and the date you read/watch them so that referencing gets a lot easier! (I use an online referencing generator so that it formats it exactly right).
I think the main hurdle to overcome is actually starting it, so maybe sit down for 10 minutes and just write/type a rough plan of what your essay will consist of, and the order of what you'll talk about -> that will help you to be more focussed on what you actually need to find out in order to write your essay, and what bits are just 'extra' supplementary bits - so you know what is your priority :smile:

If you need interviews with people you don't know, then email them sooner rather than later and maybe email a couple of people so you'll hopefully get a reply from one of them? :smile:

This is all super helpful, thank you (especially knowing about the online referencing generator - I never knew that was a thing!)
I'm a lot more calm now about this, I've got a more defined plan and I'm now awaiting for a reply for my supervisor to make sure everything's okay.
Again, thank you! :h:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending