The Student Room Group

Is 71 good enough to get sponsorship for Masters?

I am going in 3rd year with 71 average (English Hons.). Is it good enough to get sponsorship for Masters? Also, do the average improve in third year or does it usually stay?

Scroll to see replies

Depends on the person but I know lots of people who's average grade improved in third year, I brought mine up by like 6%
Original post by Wanirre
I am going in 3rd year with 71 average (English Hons.). Is it good enough to get sponsorship for Masters? Also, do the average improve in third year or does it usually stay?

Sponsorship at Masters level is very very limited I am afraid. Your chances will depend on where that 71% is from, where you are applying, for what MSc and how big the competition is. Grades can certainly go up from Y2 to Y3, but 71 is "just" a first, your competition will be people who were top 1 or 2 in their year group at 75-85+ so its important to be realistic about your chances.
I thought YOU were 71 :lol:
In a science subject, what percentage is the minimum for getting onto a masters, so a 2:1 or a first?
Original post by Wanirre

Probably not. It's only *just a first class result, and competition for this sort of thing is so fierce that only those graduating at the top of their cohort are going to be in with a realistic shout - which 71 really isn't.

It's a good result, and I'm not seeking to take anything away from you for it - well done. But from a sponsorship point of view - not really good enough.
Original post by Wanirre

I went down from 74 to 73 in final year and I've got a full fee reduction for my Masters. It depends on the subject, where you are going, and which university you came from. Try your best to get the score up, but funding is extremely limited - which universities are you looking at? Most don't even offer full fee reductions for arts and humanities subjects at MA level.
Reply 7
Original post by Mr Wednesday
Sponsorship at Masters level is very very limited I am afraid. Your chances will depend on where that 71% is from, where you are applying, for what MSc and how big the competition is. Grades can certainly go up from Y2 to Y3, but 71 is "just" a first, your competition will be people who were top 1 or 2 in their year group at 75-85+ so its important to be realistic about your chances.

My 71 is from a mid-ranking Russell Group Uni so not too bad. The thing is getting more than 73 in an essay in English Literature is quite unheard of. I once got an 80 and my tutor confidentially told me that it was best in the year. So, for sciences and other technical subjects, ofc people who are at the top of their cohort may manage to get like 75+ and even in 80s, but it seems quite impossible to do that in English. The best scoring people I know in my cohort, all average aroung 69 to 72.
Reply 8
Original post by Edminzodo
I went down from 74 to 73 in final year and I've got a full fee reduction for my Masters. It depends on the subject, where you are going, and which university you came from. Try your best to get the score up, but funding is extremely limited - which universities are you looking at? Most don't even offer full fee reductions for arts and humanities subjects at MA level.

Thanks. What subject did you do? Scoring anything more than 73 seems impossible in English, smh. I have never heard anyone getting more than 73 in my cohort.
Reply 9
Original post by ZR246
I thought YOU were 71 :lol:

Lol
Reply 10
Original post by TsRtSr1001
In a science subject, what percentage is the minimum for getting onto a masters, so a 2:1 or a first?

I don't know about sciences. I am doing English lit. But for humanities it is 2:1 or a first.
Reply 11
Original post by Reality Check
Probably not. It's only *just a first class result, and competition for this sort of thing is so fierce that only those graduating at the top of their cohort are going to be in with a realistic shout - which 71 really isn't.

It's a good result, and I'm not seeking to take anything away from you for it - well done. But from a sponsorship point of view - not really good enough.

Right. what do you think would be a good enough average in English Literature from sponsorship point of view ?
Original post by Wanirre

I doubt it.
its a good score but its not exactly recording breaking. Addtionally getting a masters scholarship in general is extremly hard and normally comes with the condition of working for the sponsor for 2/3 years degree.
Sponsorship in the humanities is even harder.
Original post by Wanirre
Right. what do you think would be a good enough average in English Literature from sponsorship point of view ?

for sponsorship you'll have more luck asking an internship employer who is very keen to keep you at the firm.
Original post by Wanirre
Thanks. What subject did you do? Scoring anything more than 73 seems impossible in English, smh. I have never heard anyone getting more than 73 in my cohort.

I did Egyptology. Highest exam grade was 79, I think, and my best essay was an 80. This was at a Russell Group university, but I don't know how different it is to English in terms of grading.
Hi,
I have just finished my btec level 3 extended diploma in business and finnace and want to get sponsorship for univeristy for all 3 years. I got a triple d star in my course and want to do something buisness and economics related. how can I apply for sponsorship
Original post by Q and A
Hi,
I have just finished my btec level 3 extended diploma in business and finnace and want to get sponsorship for univeristy for all 3 years. I got a triple d star in my course and want to do something buisness and economics related. how can I apply for sponsorship

I suspect you've got a cat in hell's chance. But if you've got any aspect of your life that makes you more deserving of funding than anyone else, use the internet to find potential sponsors. I'd job hunt at the same time though and try to earn the money to support yourself at uni, in addition to the SFE funding available.
Original post by threeportdrift
I suspect you've got a cat in hell's chance. But if you've got any aspect of your life that makes you more deserving of funding than anyone else, use the internet to find potential sponsors. I'd job hunt at the same time though and try to earn the money to support yourself at uni, in addition to the SFE funding available.

Everyone got a cat in hell chance but if u get lucky then awesome. I'm plannibg to become a teacher at college so might contact college for a sponsorhip and then might tell them to work there
Original post by Q and A
Everyone got a cat in hell chance but if u get lucky then awesome. I'm plannibg to become a teacher at college so might contact college for a sponsorhip and then might tell them to work there

And back in the real world ...
Original post by threeportdrift
And back in the real world ...

what does that mean and what are you studying

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending