The Student Room Group

nurse's are failures ?

I'm currenlty applying for nursing and cannot wait to hopefully start this year. I'm really passionate about it and I cannot wait to start working in a hospital setting and helping people.

But someone told that nurses are just failures, and choose to do nursing when there's nothing else for them to do.

I know that this person is just uneducated and basically brainless for saying this, and it's not gonna effect my career choice.

But its made me feel weird, and now im wondereing do people see individuals who are are nurses as failures because they couldn't do anything? Or do they see them as failures who couldn't become doctors / dentists / phamacist / any other medical profession ?
Reply 1
Nurses aren't failures, they're 'winners' who saw a career path they wanted and successfully got onto it.

As for picking it because there's nothing else to do... there are thousands upon thousands of jobs both easier than nursing to do, and easier than nursing to get into. It could never be considered a 'last resort' type of career...
Original post by babushkac4

I know that this person is just uneducated and basically brainless for saying this, and it's not gonna effect my career choice.

Sums it up really. You'll get people shouting you down in life, nurses save lives and do a lot for the communities in which they live. Uneducated and basically brainless is what you'd need to be to say something like this.... nursing is hard work. I knew many nursing students at University and was constantly impressed by their dedication and commitment. Quite frankly nurses are underappreciated...

The same line gets used on everyone working in the public sector, generally by brainless plebs who don't understand how challenging the role they are talking about is.

Good luck, it's good to hear that you're ignoring the naysayers
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Prefect1992
Sums it up really. You'll get people shouting you down in life, nurses save lives and do a lot for the communities in which they live. Uneducated and basically brainless is what you'd need to be to say something like this.... nursing is hard work. I knew many nursing students at University and was constantly impressed by their dedication and commitment. Quite frankly nurses are underappreciated...

The same line gets used on everyone working in the public sector, generally by brainless plebs who don't understand how challenging the role they are talking about is.

Good luck, it's good to hear that you're ignoring the naysayers

Thank you :smile:, yeah it's just made me feel really weird and self-concious now, like people actually think that?? But your right its just the brainless idiots.

Original post by Neilos
Nurses aren't failures, they're 'winners' who saw a career path they wanted and successfully got onto it.

As for picking it because there's nothing else to do... there are thousands upon thousands of jobs both easier than nursing to do, and easier than nursing to get into. It could never be considered a 'last resort' type of career...

thank you xx exactly thats what i was thinking, people just always need a resaon to put other down
Reply 4
what does this person do or want to do. even posting this shows that their stupid comment got to you. i hope they are not doing a really difficult degree like media studies
Reply 5
That person sounds like a nob. Ignore such frivolous opinions
I'm currenlty applying for nursing and cannot wait to hopefully start this year. I'm really passionate about it and I cannot wait to start working in a hospital setting and helping people.

But someone told that nurses are just failures, and choose to do nursing when there's nothing else for them to do.

But its made me feel weird, and now im wondereing do people see individuals who are are nurses as failures because they couldn't do anything? Or do they see them as failures who couldn't become doctors / dentists / phamacist / any other medical profession ?

them people labelling them as failures won’t be saying that when they need help from a nurse
After working as a HCA for a year as I want to study Medicine, I can tell you nurses are the hardest working and amazing people I've ever seen and met. Honestly, I didn't realise it that much before, but they are amazing. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Congrats and good luck!!
(edited 3 years ago)
Omg I can think of a million more easier (and better paid) jobs out there to be my last resort! Nursing is such hard work. Why would anyone choose it as a last resort? It’s a calling, a passion!

Do you believe what people tell you about nurses being a failure like .

Honestly those people don't know what actually involved with nursing then as I think they see us in hospitals as slaves to look after them and send them home to recover more.

Believe me its hard work at times as you on feet all day long depending what sort of hours you doing on a ward as I'm 12.5 hours shifts and it very hard going, .

Why do you think they are failure then if you thinking like those idiots that told you this ???

No we don't pick 3/4 years at university and placements for sake of it being a failure career - we do this because we care for people and seeing them go home happy , we don't pick this as there ain't nothing else available but we do it for the passionate / caring and also helping people get better.
If I wanted to do 5 - 10 years training to be a doctor then I would had chosen that career route but I chosen to be a midwife and i am proud to do my job each and every single shift I work in the hospital and even through this difficult situation with covid19 we still as passionate & caring about people lives as its our job to get them better.

So I would personal say to you stop listening to gossip on this and get yourself on a nursing degree course asap and do what you believe you can do okay and I will gaunantee that you'll will love being a student nurse and in 3 years time a fully qualified nurse and you'll look back and say to yourself" you made the correct decision and look where I am " .

Those who probably feeding these stories wouldn't complete a degree as they probably the ones who would take a career in nursing themselves because they can't find a job , or they want a very easy job cause they feared of bit of hard work.

Awwww I just hate people who bring us nurses etc down because they are incapable of finding a suitable job that don't involve any hard work.

Just please go and get onto the nursing degree course and then show these idiots how wrong it is to work as a nurse as without nurses etc where would we be for healthcare .

Good luck with your nursing career xxx
Whatever you do in life there will also be somebody ready to tell you you're a failure for doing it. Ignore them. There are plenty more people who are grateful to nurses because they were kept alive and cared for by them.
Original post by gigaberry
Whatever you do in life there will also be somebody ready to tell you you're a failure for doing it. Ignore them. There are plenty more people who are grateful to nurses because they were kept alive and cared for

@gigaberry. Such true words you said about us nurses as yes there's loads of people who do appreciate us keeping then alive and also caring for them regardless of which field of nursing we work on .

She should ignore these people as you said there will be somebody out there who will tell her she's a failure for doing the job but its not a failure as she'll have a degree to prove it is not .

Kinda just says it really, they're brainless and uneducated. Nurses are definitely not failures. There's so much more to "fixing" the physical side. I'm going into nursing and know a few nurses and they've said it's the hardest but most rewarding job they've done. :smile:
Original post by hannnnnn1992
Kinda just says it really, they're brainless and uneducated. Nurses are definitely not failures. There's so much more to "fixing" the physical side. I'm going into nursing and know a few nurses and they've said it's the hardest but most rewarding job they've done. :smile:

Good for you that you chosen a wonderful career route in starting nursing as I think you'll thoroughly enjoy the journey you taking .

Yes your friends you know as nurses told you rightly that is a hard but rewarding job that we do no matter which field of nursing we are in .

Good luck with everything on your nursing ahead xx
Original post by Tracey1995
@gigaberry. Such true words you said about us nurses as yes there's loads of people who do appreciate us keeping then alive and also caring for them regardless of which field of nursing we work on .

She should ignore these people as you said there will be somebody out there who will tell her she's a failure for doing the job but its not a failure as she'll have a degree to prove it is not .

Thank you so much. xx Yes ive got a place and will hopefully be starting this september :smile:
I just wanna say thanks to everyone who replied. I know people like thiare just idiots who hate their own lives but it made me feel weird. But thanks to everyones comments, I'm no longer even thinking about that comment and will hopefully be starting uni in september studying Adult nursing bsc. You guys really made me feel more confident (eventhough i didnt care about that comment it just hit weird but now i realize just how dumb that was and that person is)

So THANK YOU !! hope you all have a successful and bright future :smile:
I just wanna say thanks to everyone who replied. I know people like thiare just idiots who hate their own lives but it made me feel weird. But thanks to everyones comments, I'm no longer even thinking about that comment and will hopefully be starting uni in september studying Adult nursing bsc. You guys really made me feel more confident (eventhough i didnt care about that comment it just hit weird but now i realize just how dumb that was and that person is)

So THANK YOU !! hope you all have a successful and bright future :smile:

Hi
Good for you for ignoring what people has said about nurses being failures because its not a failure job or ain't a last resort one either, if you get started at university in September as a student nurse then go and prove to all those idiots who call us nurses all failures that you went and got a degree for such job and then see what they say to you because I think they will all say " well done & congrats "to you in hopefully 3 years time okay.
Best of luck with this journey and hope you thoroughly enjoy the whole experience ahead of you.

I can remember my class mates at school ( yeah long time ago ) all saying that to me about nursing being a waste of time but yet i been qualified for almost 10 years now and I still did better than majority of them for doing something I wanted to do and be successful at it,

Go and be a good nurse hunni and ignore people like those idiots okay as not worth listening to as they probably doing worse jobs and less money as well .
Thank you so much. xx Yes ive got a place and will hopefully be starting this september :smile:

Hi
Glad to give you advice and help okay as no problems in doing so. Xx

If I can answer anything then PM and I see what I can do ok. X

And good luck if you get started in September to xx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending