The Student Room Group

The New History Admissions Assessment - HELP

Hi!
On the website Cambridge have announced that they’ve introduced a new admissions test starting from this year for 2021 entry - I was wondering if anyone knew anymore details about it, or know whether Cambridge have released any further details or videos about it to help with preparation (as it’s so new?)
Original post by justjas33
Hi!
On the website Cambridge have announced that they’ve introduced a new admissions test starting from this year for 2021 entry - I was wondering if anyone knew anymore details about it, or know whether Cambridge have released any further details or videos about it to help with preparation (as it’s so new?)

Each college is choosing whether or not they want to run at interview assessments. For all colleges except trinity this will be section 2 of the HAA. Go on the camb website it’s very self explanatory
Ah okay, thank you. Not really familiar with the process so I thought it was an entirely new assessment. So we take the test while at Cambridge for interview not before like the HAT for Oxford?
Ah okay, thank you. Not really familiar with the process so I thought it was an entirely new assessment. So we take the test while at Cambridge for interview not before like the HAT for Oxford?

There are no history. pre ,interview assessments for 2021 entry. Details will follow about how they will be conducted thru online interviews
Original post by Mayataylor
There are no history. pre ,interview assessments for 2021 entry. Details will follow about how they will be conducted thru online interviews

Awesome, thanks for the help
Reply 5
Hello! I have similar confusions over this assessment. They said it would be announced by the end of June, but this is obviously not the case. I managed to pop the question to a history tutor at Fitzwilliam at the virtual open day - they said it is an ongoing process which is still being worked on - I believe there were plans to reform the assessment this year, and with the Covid-19 disruptions its been delayed. In the past I think it was similar to the LNAT, but this might be completely different this year. I guess all the folks applying to Oxford can revise 24/7 for the HAT, while us few considering an app to Cam meanwhile remain worrying what's as to what's going to happen...
I don't think all the colleges have one anyway, perhaps they don't want us to worry about it, they'll probably tell us it's 'unrevisable' for as well :/, though I would like to know what it actual is/if there is one
Original post by JDCoey
Hello! I have similar confusions over this assessment. They said it would be announced by the end of June, but this is obviously not the case. I managed to pop the question to a history tutor at Fitzwilliam at the virtual open day - they said it is an ongoing process which is still being worked on - I believe there were plans to reform the assessment this year, and with the Covid-19 disruptions its been delayed. In the past I think it was similar to the LNAT, but this might be completely different this year. I guess all the folks applying to Oxford can revise 24/7 for the HAT, while us few considering an app to Cam meanwhile remain worrying what's as to what's going to happen...
I don't think all the colleges have one anyway, perhaps they don't want us to worry about it, they'll probably tell us it's 'unrevisable' for as well :/, though I would like to know what it actual is/if there is one

Exactly that! Hopefully we get more information soon :/
Do you happen know which colleges don’t have the assessment? No worries if not
The list of Colleges which are using the new assessment, its format and some specimen papers can be found here: https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/courses/history on the 'Entry requirements' tab. I think it's only gone up in the last few days!
Original post by Peterhouse Admissions
The list of Colleges which are using the new assessment, its format and some specimen papers can be found here: https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/courses/history on the 'Entry requirements' tab. I think it's only gone up in the last few days!

Thank you!
Reply 9
Exactly that! Hopefully we get more information soon :/
Do you happen know which colleges don’t have the assessment? No worries if not

Will have to check individual college websites for those - off the top of my head, Selwyn maybe? Imo it's a good idea to check if they have one before applying, cus some people benefit to have/not have one, e.g. If you're prone to exam stress.
Yeh I'm sure information will come soon :smile: just a case of when...
Reply 10
If this is the case, okay.

But if Cam is doing virtual interviews this December as they have hinted - how will this be assessed?
Original post by Nevi
If this is the case, okay.

But if Cam is doing virtual interviews this December as they have hinted - how will this be assessed?

We haven't yet confirmed how we will be conducting interviews this year, so we're not in a position to say, I'm afraid.
We haven't yet confirmed how we will be conducting interviews this year, so we're not in a position to say, I'm afraid.

But do you reckon in person interviews could happen? Maybe over a longer period?
But do you reckon in person interviews could happen? Maybe over a longer period?

Various option are being considered but no decision has yet been reached. I cannot say any more on this at this time, other than we are being very thorough in our considerations whilst bearing in mind that applicants will want to know as soon as possible. When a decision has been reached, we will make a statement on our website.
Various option are being considered but no decision has yet been reached. I cannot say any more on this at this time, other than we are being very thorough in our considerations whilst bearing in mind that applicants will want to know as soon as possible. When a decision has been reached, we will make a statement on our website.

Okay, no worries. Thank you for the info :smile:
Reply 15
Okay, no worries. Thank you for the info :smile:

Hopefully they can do a choice of both. Many people would prefer a face to face while others would prefer a virtual one. Physical interview is my strongpoint plus I haven’t ever been to Cambridge so it would be my only opportunity to see the place I was applying for lol

Hope it all works out...
Original post by Nevi
Hopefully they can do a choice of both. Many people would prefer a face to face while others would prefer a virtual one. Physical interview is my strongpoint plus I haven’t ever been to Cambridge so it would be my only opportunity to see the place I was applying for lol

Hope it all works out...

Ag I’m literally the same as you! But for me it’s not so much that physical interviews are my strongpoint but the fact that I’d be even more of a mess with online ones lol
Imo even tho Oxford decided to give up on face to face interviews I do think they could work at Cam - just spread it out by a week or two so there’s less people at Cambridge at one time maybe? But we’ll see!
Reply 17
Ag I’m literally the same as you! But for me it’s not so much that physical interviews are my strongpoint but the fact that I’d be even more of a mess with online ones lol
Imo even tho Oxford decided to give up on face to face interviews I do think they could work at Cam - just spread it out by a week or two so there’s less people at Cambridge at one time maybe? But we’ll see!

Yeh I'm the same as you two. I just have a feeling a virtual interview would go horribly wrong for me. A friend of mine heard they might be done at supervised centres across the country, though this was just speculation.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending