The Student Room Group

Best A Levels for law

Im just intrigued as to which subjects other people are taking to study law. Im doing English, History, either psychology OR geography and maybe German :smile:
Reply 1
I think it will be hard to do 4 'big' A-levels if you get what I mean. Maybe do 3 A-levels and another 'easier' A-level. If you want to study law I think psychology would be a better option than geography. Hope this helps :smile:
Original post by Lol83
I think it will be hard to do 4 'big' A-levels if you get what I mean. Maybe do 3 A-levels and another 'easier' A-level. If you want to study law I think psychology would be a better option than geography. Hope this helps :smile:

Just to add that there is actually zero need to do four A levels anyway. Your offer will be based on three, and an extra one confers absolutely no advantage in terms of admission. Much better to do three outstandingly than four excellently. :smile:
I’m doing History, English Lit, RS and French. Wouldn’t recommend 5 x
I take History (almost took DT instead of History due to scheduling issues), Physics and Maths and I didnt chose them because I wanted to study law but because I enjoyed these subjects. Do yourself a favour and only do 3 because universities dont care what A levels you do (at least for English and Welsh law; if you wanted to do Scottish Law, you'll be fine as you have one essay subject). I only recommend doing 4 A levels if you genuinely enjoyed them. If you are thinking of German, check out course such as Law with German or Law with languages and see if its something you want to do because they require an MFL A level; if you dont like those courses and just want to study pure law or something else like PPL, then I suggest maybe doing it in your free time because learning languages in your own time is stress free and you can ask your teachers for some challenging content if you want some more but I wouldn't suggest it taking it unless you are prepared for it
Original post by Soph975
Im just intrigued as to which subjects other people are taking to study law. Im doing English, History, either psychology OR geography and maybe German :smile:

I’m taking double maths, history and economics, to maybe go do a PPE degree and convert to law, or go straight into economics, but I guess as long as I have history, the essay subject isn’t a problem, so I took the subjects that opened up another career for me? Law has no real prerequisites, especially if you’re going to do a conversion instead. I heard that almost 80% of the intake at the Silver Circle don’t come from a law degree, so there’s always that route in!
Original post by sakura_23
I’m taking double maths, history and economics, to maybe go do a PPE degree and convert to law, or go straight into economics, but I guess as long as I have history, the essay subject isn’t a problem, so I took the subjects that opened up another career for me? Law has no real prerequisites, especially if you’re going to do a conversion instead. I heard that almost 80% of the intake at the Silver Circle don’t come from a law degree, so there’s always that route in!

And with the SQE test, it will be easier for future graduates as well
Reply 7
Original post by PetitePanda
I take History (almost took DT instead of History due to scheduling issues), Physics and Maths and I didnt chose them because I wanted to study law but because I enjoyed these subjects. Do yourself a favour and only do 3 because universities dont care what A levels you do (at least for English and Welsh law; if you wanted to do Scottish Law, you'll be fine as you have one essay subject). I only recommend doing 4 A levels if you genuinely enjoyed them. If you are thinking of German, check out course such as Law with German or Law with languages and see if its something you want to do because they require an MFL A level; if you dont like those courses and just want to study pure law or something else like PPL, then I suggest maybe doing it in your free time because learning languages in your own time is stress free and you can ask your teachers for some challenging content if you want some more but I wouldn't suggest it taking it unless you are prepared for it

Ok :smile:, though i did really enjoy all of those subjects at gcse, and German was probably my favourite :smile:
Original post by Soph975
Ok :smile:, though i did really enjoy all of those subjects at gcse, and German was probably my favourite :smile:

Totally go for German. Btw you dont need English or History A level for Law so dont feel obliged to take it but totally go for it if you enjoy them (just wanted to give ya a heads up because there is a common misconception you need to take it for law). Good luck for year 12 :rave:
Reply 9
Original post by PetitePanda
Totally go for German. Btw you dont need English or History A level for Law so dont feel obliged to take it but totally go for it if you enjoy them (just wanted to give ya a heads up because there is a common misconception you need to take it for law). Good luck for year 12 :rave:

Thank you so much! :smile: I do really enjoy English and History :smile:
history, english lit, law, sociology, psychology, re, ethics, classics
I did German, English and History ( a long time ago and I read law at university). Those would be a good combination for law. However as long as they are reasonably mainstream subjects such as maths, physics etc any are fine. If you are going to Oxbridge and might get 4 x A* I would not put people off doing four good subjects but do not do 4 if you think it will pull down your other grades. None of my children did four (other than 4 AS levels) and two of them so far are lawyers.
Reply 12
Original post by 17Student17
I did German, English and History ( a long time ago and I read law at university). Those would be a good combination for law. However as long as they are reasonably mainstream subjects such as maths, physics etc any are fine. If you are going to Oxbridge and might get 4 x A* I would not put people off doing four good subjects but do not do 4 if you think it will pull down your other grades. None of my children did four (other than 4 AS levels) and two of them so far are lawyers.

Oh that’s great! I’m thinking of starting off with four subjects (probably English, History, Geography and German - I really enjoyed all of them at GCSE) and then if it gets too much, I’ll drop my least favourite :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest