The Student Room Group

Head Start on A levels

Hi I'm going in y12 this September and I would like to know what I can do to get a head start on my a levels (Biology, Chemistry and Maths) Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tigergirl
Hi I'm going in y12 this September and I would like to know what I can do to get a head start on my a levels (Biology, Chemistry and Maths) Thanks

Hi can you please elaborate on what stage you’re at? As in, how confident you are with GCSE content etc.
Reply 2
What's your exam board?

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6613212

Hopefully, this helps.
you don't need to do much prep for a level maths, you're eased quite nicely into the course. you can look over some of the grade 8/9 stuff again as a refresher and read through the spec but that's it really.
Reply 5
Original post by micro123
What's your exam board?

OCR for sciences edexcel for maths
Reply 6
Original post by absolutelysprout
you don't need to do much prep for a level maths, you're eased quite nicely into the course. you can look over some of the grade 8/9 stuff again as a refresher and read through the spec but that's it really.

Great thank you
Reply 7

This is amazing thank you!
Reply 8
Original post by Humairazaman
Hi can you please elaborate on what stage you’re at? As in, how confident you are with GCSE content etc.

Quite confident with GCSE in mocks I scored grades 7-9
Quite confident with GCSE in mocks I scored grades 7-9

ok so im in yr 11 too but I can give you advice on what I've been doing and what I found helpful.
1)Sign up to Seneca and choose Biology and Chemistry Alevel in your exam board.
2)start learning the 1st few topics. seneca is quite simple and easy to understand. it doesnt go into too much detail so if you dont get something, go on Snaprevise on YT and watch their videos for that topic.
3)you can make notes/flashcards for these first few topics, if you really wanna get ahead.
4)For maths, go on TLMaths' website and start watching their AS videos and do the questions in the videos. you can also try DrFrostMaths on YT.

Do these 4 steps for now, this will give you a good Head start IMO, when you finish and wanna do more, feel free to PM me:smile: Good luck!

I'm in the same position as the person who started the thread and I've been going over GCSE algebra and brushing up my maths skills cuz i read somewhere algebra skills are really important in a levels. when i was going over the content it scared me how much stuff ive forgotten- i mean it was expected i havent done any maths since april -_-
ok so im in yr 11 too but I can give you advice on what I've been doing and what I found helpful.
2)start learning the 1st few topics. seneca is quite simple and easy to understand. it doesnt go into too much detail so if you dont get something, go on Snaprevise on YT and watch their videos for that topic.
3)you can make notes/flashcards for these first few topics, if you really wanna get ahead.
4)For maths, go on TLMaths' website and start watching their AS videos and do the questions in the videos. you can also try DrFrostMaths on YT.

Do these 4 steps for now, this will give you a good Head start IMO, when you finish and wanna do more, feel free to PM me:smile: Good luck!

oo thats such a good plan. thx ill also use this :smile:
Original post by hwaqas04
I'm in the same position as the person who started the thread and I've been going over GCSE algebra and brushing up my maths skills cuz i read somewhere algebra skills are really important in a levels. when i was going over the content it scared me how much stuff ive forgotten- i mean it was expected i havent done any maths since april -_-

sounds like you're doing the right thing! good idea to brush up on your algebra, big part of a level is algebra. yeah it's expected if you haven't done maths in a while, it'll all come back to you though :yep:
Reply 13
Original post by nataliem.piano
Hi! I do bio, chem and music for A levels and I think best way to prepare for bio is try and get hold of the textbook for your spec (I'd share mine but I only have edexcel) and for chem do the same but also look over mole stuff because that's the first unit which will be a breeze if you're competent at mole calculations. I don't do maths so I can't really say anything for that...

Also, I saw you mentioned bio and I just wanted to share an online initiative I created and hopefully you may be interested in joining!
‘The Sapien’ is a platform which aims to engage students with a passion for the social sciences, biology and any discipline that involves humans!
Here is the link to the website https://thesapien.wixsite.com/thesapien
And the Instagram page @thesapien1

We do weekly interactive discussions on Zoom about topics ranging from the biological reasons for gender inequality to debating the ethical issues of ethnographic research. Additionally, I blog and post engaging resources like relevant videos, news articles, book reviews...- all relating to the human sciences.

The first Session will take place August 9th at 3pm AST TBC. To sign up, please visit the website and fill the Google form. This is a unique opportunity where you get to connect with other students all over the world, engage in meaningful discussions and learn new knowledge that will alter the way you look at the world around you. No previous knowledge is required but optional pre-reading material will be provided in advance.

It would be wonderful if you could please share this with anyone you know interested in/applying for the social sciences, biology, psychology etc.

Thanks and I hope to see you there!
Natalie :smile:

This is so helpful thank you! will check it out :smile: :smile:
Reply 14

Amazing thank you for your help! Good luck with your a levels too :smile:

Hey, I am currently doing Biology, Chemistry and Psychology for A-Level and will be going to Year 13 in September.
I found myself revising Biology even before school starts as we were given some summer work to do and I did a but more than that and the results were amazing. I would suggest getting this book:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Letts-level-Revision-Success-Biology/dp/0008179069
It is quite cheap and contains fundamentals or you could use online resources.
I think that it gives you a good headstart and the book can be used again for exams. A good thing is that this book does not have a specific exam board and so I didn't need to worry about which school I would be getting into because different schools have different exam boards.
I found that Psychology was the least like I had expected and so I would suggest having a looking at Simply Pscyhology because the textbooks are quite expensive and you may be given it at school.
With Chemistry, you can use the specification and start reading ahead using ChemGuide but I actually used the same book but for chemistry. The link is below:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Letts-level-Revision-Success-Chemistry/dp/0008179093/ref=pd_lpo_14_t_1/257-4035472-2339521?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=0008179093&pd_rd_r=2a293e0f-893f-4b17-b71b-13e01b730e15&pd_rd_w=luIww&pd_rd_wg=IrnKR&pf_rd_p=7b8e3b03-1439-4489-abd4-4a138cf4eca6&pf_rd_r=W8EB2MGRCVX2KNXNV3C9&psc=1&refRID=W8EB2MGRCVX2KNXNV3C9
Hope that helps,
Kind Regards,
Srihitha
sounds like you're doing the right thing! good idea to brush up on your algebra, big part of a level is algebra. yeah it's expected if you haven't done maths in a while, it'll all come back to you though :yep:

that's great woop
For how much time have people been covering A-Level content in preparation for Sept.?
Original post by turquoisedaisy
For how much time have people been covering A-Level content in preparation for Sept.?

maybe 2-3 hours of maths and that's it for me really. I'm trying to do some chem but its really hard
Original post by turquoisedaisy

few hours every day not too much

Quick Reply

Latest