The Student Room Group

HELP

Universities that are away from home are either not ethnically diverse or the drinking culture is really big ie. Manchester/ Leeds
does anyone know fo unis that are both ethnically diverse and not that big on drinking

Scroll to see replies

york
Reply 2
Original post by Libbyc16
york

are there a lot of ethnic minorties at that university
Original post by Aryz
are there a lot of ethnic minorties at that university

yes!
also look at Bath, Durham, Warwick & UEA
I'm sure there's some in London (I don't know about drinking culture but London unis tend to be quite diverse)
Reply 5
Original post by Libbyc16
yes!
also look at Bath, Durham, Warwick & UEA

not bath and durham because they are not big on diversity but warwick and uea might be worth a look thanks for ur help
Reply 6
Original post by cl286
I'm sure there's some in London (I don't know about drinking culture but London unis tend to be quite diverse)

yh that might be a shout although Londons expensiveeeee lol
What’s wrong with minority ethnic diversity?
Reply 8
Original post by TsRtSr1001
What’s wrong with minority ethnic diversity?

im asking which universities are like big on diversity so quite the opposite of what u are saying
Original post by Aryz
im asking which universities are like big on diversity so quite the opposite of what u are saying

Okay. Misread XD. London is pretty diverse.
Reply 10
Okay. Misread XD. London is pretty diverse.

its really expensive tho
Original post by Aryz
its really expensive tho

True, but put as much of it on the loans as you can. You probably won’t pay it all off but that’s okay because it’ll time out. Uni is way too expensive now days. There’s more people going yet tuition keeps going up, when it used to be free.
Reply 12
True, but put as much of it on the loans as you can. You probably won’t pay it all off but that’s okay because it’ll time out. Uni is way too expensive now days. There’s more people going yet tuition keeps going up, when it used to be free.

thanks so much for ur help
Reply 13
some schools offer alcohol-free accommodation. this probably isn't an exhaustive list but just fyi.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-45171571

you should make a list of unis that interest you, then google if they have alcohol free accommodation. i doubt you'll find any uni that doesn't have drinking culture to an extent, but you don't have to partake in it; it's not like kids are drinking at school during lectures :nah:

what do you mean by ethnically diverse? everyone at my accommodation is from India so not very diverse. even my Indian flatmates say that. lol

you should bear in mind that ethnic diversity will be influenced on the degree you study and where you choose to live. i've always been surrounded by ethnic diversity, but that may not be a reflection of the university as a whole.
I’m studying biomedical science in London in an area predominantly not white British, so it’s very diverse. I like that. I often feel like we don’t have much culture, tradition etc, compared to other countries, so I love learning about them.
I'm going to BCU. I hope it's diverse and not too big on the drinking as I'm not a fan.
Original post by thagirlhanna
I'm going to BCU. I hope it's diverse and not too big on the drinking as I'm not a fan.

Just try to avoid it if you don’t like it. All unis have a social drinking life due to there being lots of students who care about that. But this year due to COVID most are banning parties on campus, and if Boris shuts pubs and clubs to let school open, they can’t party off campus either.
Just try to avoid it if you don’t like it. All unis have a social drinking life due to there being lots of students who care about that. But this year due to COVID most are banning parties on campus, and if Boris shuts pubs and clubs to let school open, they can’t party off campus either.

Sounds good then!
Reply 18
Original post by Joleee
some schools offer alcohol-free accommodation. this probably isn't an exhaustive list but just fyi.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-45171571

you should make a list of unis that interest you, then google if they have alcohol free accommodation. i doubt you'll find any uni that doesn't have drinking culture to an extent, but you don't have to partake in it; it's not like kids are drinking at school during lectures :nah:

what do you mean by ethnically diverse? everyone at my accommodation is from India so not very diverse. even my Indian flatmates say that. lol

you should bear in mind that ethnic diversity will be influenced on the degree you study and where you choose to live. i've always been surrounded by ethnic diversity, but that may not be a reflection of the university as a whole.

I know that every uni has a drinking culture to an extent but my question was which universities there are that are not particularly known for their drinking culture but are ethnically diverse at the same time
.I think the term ethnically diverse is quite self explanatory it means people from a wide variety of backgrounds.
. I know some degrees have more diversity in them than others butt obviously im not going to be with them 24/7 and could imagine myself associating with other membersof the univversities which is why i am looking at the ethnic compostion of the uni as a whole. Same goes for flatmates.

Thanks for the link it was really helpful
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 19
what about leicester university

Quick Reply