The Student Room Group

Driving test coming up

I have my driving test coming up soon on normal lessons I do great literally 0 problems, I have had few mocks done. Soon as I know I’m being judged I mess up or get to eager and make mistakes still end up passing but with a few minors. Was anyone like this if so any tips as if I’m like this on mock worried what I will be like on my actual test
A bit out of topic but how long/many lessons did it take u to feel u were prepared
Reply 2
Original post by Super_M8rio
A bit out of topic but how long/many lessons did it take u to feel u were prepared

I started about 4 weeks before lockdown And had about 15 hours and I felt ready. My driving instructor said same but I Reckon that was because I had a lesson every day for like 2 weeks if I was having them like 1/2 week I reckon would taken me 25 hours which is about how many I have had now as I Had months without driving etc.
Original post by Badbeatfc
I started about 4 weeks before lockdown And had about 15 hours and I felt ready. My driving instructor said same but I Reckon that was because I had a lesson every day for like 2 weeks if I was having them like 1/2 week I reckon would taken me 25 hours which is about how many I have had now as I Had months without driving etc.

Ahh i see man. I wanna get the license before the end of sept cos of uni and will hopefully make it. Probably gonna do the same as u and have like 2 weeks straight.
I have my driving test coming up soon on normal lessons I do great literally 0 problems, I have had few mocks done. Soon as I know I’m being judged I mess up or get to eager and make mistakes still end up passing but with a few minors. Was anyone like this if so any tips as if I’m like this on mock worried what I will be like on my actual test

Just stay calm and drive while following the rules of the road. The basics really.

- Don't go over 30mph unless there's a sign.
- Avoid stalling.
- Avoid running Amber or Red lights last minute.
- Make sure to constantly be checking your mirrors while you drive as well as when you're turning, about to set off, changing lane and overtaking
- When overtaking, make sure to leave a nice 3m gap between whatever you're overtaking
Reply 5
Don’t think of it as a test, it’s just another lesson with a different instructor showing them what you’ve learnt and what you’re already confident doing .. also if you make a mistake during the test it may not be as bad as you think so still focus as you will probably pass!
Reply 6
Sounds fine if you are only getting minors on mock tests. The reason quite a few minors are allowed is because it’s appreciated that nervousness under test conditions is normal. Just concentrate and do your best and it will be fine.
Reply 7
Just remember we are humans not monsters, and we want people to pass! Much less paperwork when people pass
Reply 8
Hey!

You’ll do great, I failed every one of my mocks 😂 but passed first time and i’m a fairly nervous person. Best thing you can do is practice as much as you can if you have a car to learn in etc & try go through your minors with your instructor before the test.

You’ll do great! Just got to believe in yourself and be as ready as you can be X

Best of luck X
Honestly, open a window from the gecko if it helps clear the tension. Stress levels are caused as you may overthink your driving etc but treat it as a routine course and don't dwell upon the test too much :h:
Reply 10
Original post by astayuno
Honestly, open a window from the gecko if it helps clear the tension. Stress levels are caused as you may overthink your driving etc but treat it as a routine course and don't dwell upon the test too much :h:

All front windows have to be open anyway!
Honestly I've had two tests and my third coming up next week.....still don't feel ready :K:

It's not that I don't think I'm a safe or skilled driver, it's a confidence thing I suppose. I put pressure on myself and beat myself for not getting things perfect, which I know just adds to test day nerves but I can't seem to stop myself. I'm with a new instructor though since my last test fail and I've progressed so much with him (my last instructor was nice but a bit of a shambles, always late and I never sat a mock test). I might not feel 'ready' but I feel like my driving has improved thus my chances of passing are better this time.

Moral here is the instructor can make all the difference.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Sofkryan
Hey!

You’ll do great, I failed every one of my mocks 😂 but passed first time and i’m a fairly nervous person. Best thing you can do is practice as much as you can if you have a car to learn in etc & try go through your minors with your instructor before the test.

You’ll do great! Just got to believe in yourself and be as ready as you can be X

Best of luck X

how many lessons did you have?x
Reply 13
Original post by 56789fghj
how many lessons did you have?x

Fair few tbf, but i was such a nervous driver which held me back a bit - I started late march and passed early november of last year X
Reply 14
I passed with 2 minors wasn’t as long and hard as thought it was going to be
I passed with 2 minors wasn’t as long and hard as thought it was going to be

how many lessons do you think i could have before I feel prepared?
Reply 16
Original post by 56789fghj
how many lessons do you think i could have before I feel prepared?

I had 15 hours before lockdown and was ready for my test but needed another 10 hours after lockdown, i also recommend having a few week I had my 15 in like 3 weeks
Hi,
I know this isn’t helping your query but I had a question for you. Did you book your test before lockdown and if so for what date. I had mine booked for June but it obviously got cancelled and then pushed to September which got cancelled again.
Hope your test goes well and just keep your head clear. Don’t overthink- I make more mistakes when I think too much about it. Good luck!

Quick Reply