The Student Room Group

What is the best laptop for uni

No more than 600 pounds, good specs etc.
Original post by Tangledseries
No more than 600 pounds, good specs etc.

What will you be using it for?
Essays, research, paying bills
Essays, research, paying bills

Then realistically, all you need is a Intel i5/AMD Ryzen 5 CPU, 8GB RAM and 250GB SSD.

Pick any laptop brand and model with those specs then that'll fulfil your purposes to the T.
ummm not sure how good this is for uni as such,
but i have the hp pavilion 360 and its pretty good
Original post by vix.xvi
ummm not sure how good this is for uni as such,
but i have the hp pavilion 360 and its pretty good

It's definitely good, but the 2020 model costs £700 (on Amazon £900). That's out of OP's budget.

We need to find more suitable options.
@Tangledseries these are a solid collection of laptops that I would doubly recommend. Bluewolf21 has good taste.
Thanks so muchhhh you're a life/money/time saverrr xxx i know nothing about laptopsss
Bid up to £230 on this:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dell-Latitude-E7470-Laptop/143666719678?hash=item2173342bbe:g:YgIAAOSwJgRfHqY2

It's a properly engineered premium business laptop with a magnesium alloy chassis. It's not a cheaply engineered consumer laptop, like what you'd get from Currys for £400.

Look out for other deals on Dell Latitude E7470's for £230ish on ebay if you don't bag this one.

You don't need the latest CPU for lightning fast response from your laptop for research, essays and bills. You just need an SSD, which the Dell Latitude E7470 has.

Spending more than £230 on a laptop for your needs would be a complete waste of money. To the point where in many cases you'd be spending more money and getting a worse laptop.

I think it's a bit of a scandal how so many people in Internet land push the brand new laptop agenda, when for users like yourself a used laptop is the optimum choice.
Original post by Dunnig Kruger
Bid up to £230 on this:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dell-Latitude-E7470-Laptop/143666719678?hash=item2173342bbe:g:YgIAAOSwJgRfHqY2

It's a properly engineered premium business laptop with a magnesium alloy chassis. It's not a cheaply engineered consumer laptop, like what you'd get from Currys for £400.

Look out for other deals on Dell Latitude E7470's for £230ish on ebay if you don't bag this one.

You don't need the latest CPU for lightning fast response from your laptop for research, essays and bills. You just need an SSD, which the Dell Latitude E7470 has.

Spending more than £230 on a laptop for your needs would be a complete waste of money. To the point where in many cases you'd be spending more money and getting a worse laptop.

I think it's a bit of a scandal how so many people in Internet land push the brand new laptop agenda, when for users like yourself a used laptop is the optimum choice.

Ooo good choice
the final laptop you've mentioned is the one i recommend for everyone, it ticks all the boxes for uni
Ooo good choice

Were you the winning bidder on that Dell Latitude E7470 for £215?

If not, don't worry. Just pay a similar amount for another E7470 that looks in good condition and comes from a good seller.

This model of laptop on ebay is a real sweet spot for quality, speed and price for student use (research, essays, online banking and bill payments).
Original post by Dunnig Kruger
Were you the winning bidder on that Dell Latitude E7470 for £215?

If not, don't worry. Just pay a similar amount for another E7470 that looks in good condition and comes from a good seller.

This model of laptop on ebay is a real sweet spot for quality, speed and price for student use (research, essays, online banking and bill payments).

No unfortunately, thanks for helping though :smile:
Reply 14
Should I buy a chromebook for uni?
Reply 15
£3/400

Could you please elaborate on how you think they're restricting?
Reply 16
£3/400

Coukd you please elaborate on how you think they're restricting please.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending