The Student Room Group

can i study law?

i’m doing performing arts at college but i actually am thinking of maybe doing law in uni. is there any way i could do this with a performing arts degree? i heard that someone was able to do it in my college but some advice would help. my writing skills are advanced and my best subjects in secondary school were always english, history, languages etc (7-9 grades)
Well lucky for u it doesn’t really matter if u do law at A-level or not yeah it helps for your understanding but my teachers have told me this, we have had barristers at my school that have also told me it doesn’t matter. They like people with different qualities not everyone that does the same thing as long as u get the grades to do the course it should be fine unless they prefer u having A-level law.
Just take a law conversion course, I’m planning to take one as my method of entry into law, and 80% of people in Silver Circle firms don’t have law degrees anyway, so go ahead! As long as you are confident in your skills then there is nothing stopping you from going into law.
What year are you in? What qualification is that performing arts course in college? Why are you considering a law degree?
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by PetitePanda
What year are you in? What qualification is that performing arts course in college? Why are you considering a law degree?

i’m going into my second year (final year) i college so it would be year 13 for alevels. i would get an extended diploma after finishing my second year. i have an interest for law and i think i’d excel in that area
Reply 5
Original post by Geraldthegoat
Well lucky for u it doesn’t really matter if u do law at A-level or not yeah it helps for your understanding but my teachers have told me this, we have had barristers at my school that have also told me it doesn’t matter. They like people with different qualities not everyone that does the same thing as long as u get the grades to do the course it should be fine unless they prefer u having A-level law.

the problem is if unis would accept me with an extended diploma in performing arts
Original post by hihello__
i’m going into my second year (final year) i college so it would be year 13 for alevels. i would get an extended diploma after finishing my second year. i have an interest for law and i think i’d excel in that area

I would heavily research if any universities will accept you because btecs are accepted but they will probably unlikely accept you since it's not relevant to law, due to it being creative performancing arts. You will probably come back with a disappointing result from your research (it's worth trying to see if it is but I'm gonna be honest with you and it will probably not be accepted) and you need to see if law is something you wish to pursue because you might need to take A levels or another relevant btec by resitting first year, if you wish to study law for definite
It is unlikely universities will accept you with your BTEC extended diploma in performing arts but the only way to find out is to check with the universities themselves.
Original post by hihello__
the problem is if unis would accept me with an extended diploma in performing arts

The problem is not the extended diploma but the subject as many unis only accept extended diplomas in certain subjects for Law - typically, Business/Law/Science.

It depends how serious you are about going into Law but it may be worth retaking the first year of an extended diploma but switching to a different subject like one of the above. If you choose not to do this you will have to do a lot of research to identify unis that don't mind accepting people with a performing arts background.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending