The Student Room Group

Do you feel uncomfortable seeing someone breastfeeding in public?

1st to 7th August 2020 is World Breastfeeding Week, with this year's theme being about supporting people who choose to breastfeed. Breastfeeding can be quite a controversial topic, so here on TSR we wanted to have some open, friendly discussions about opinions on breastfeeding.

Do you feel uncomfortable seeing someone breastfeeding in public?

Personally, I think it's great when someone breastfeeds (it's a very natural thing). Although I do sometimes do the whole look and then not know where to look and feel a bit awkward. But that's my own awkwardness, nothing to do with the person breastfeeding :tongue: any tips for feeling less uncomfortable/awkward in this situation?

Reminder: please keep posts friendly, on topic, and constructive. Do not misuse the anonymous function, this function is only for sharing sensitive and potentially embarrassing information about yourself. Be aware that TSR moderators and volunteers can see who is behind anonymous, unlike general members of TSR. Any rule breaking posts will be removed and carded. Thank you :smile:

Scroll to see replies

No, it is just a tit.
I'd rather see a tit, than hear a screaching baby.

Spoiler

(edited 3 years ago)
I don’t feel uncomfortable seeing anything really.

It just doesn’t make sense to me that, as a society we consider breasts to be “private parts”, which are not to be displayed in public (even if it were an extremely hot day a woman probably wouldn’t want to just walk around topless in most public settings, and probably wouldn’t even be allowed to). But then we change our minds as soon as there’s a baby drinking from it (especially given that breastfeeding privately or bottling breast milk from beforehand is not particularly difficult).

I don’t really see the logic in terms of why they’re absolutely private in one situation (even to the point of inconvenience) but not the other.
(edited 3 years ago)
What is uncomfortable about a baby eating?!
Original post by tazarooni89
especially given that breastfeeding privately or bottling breast milk from beforehand is not particularly difficult

and you have personal, first hand experience of this?
I dont think breastfeeding in public is a problem but I just wouldn't know where to look if they were sitting down opposite me on a bus or train
I don’t feel uncomfortable seeing anything really.

It just doesn’t make sense to me that, as a society we consider breasts to be “private parts”, which are not to be displayed in public (even if it were an extremely hot day a woman probably wouldn’t want to just walk around topless in most public settings, and probably wouldn’t even be allowed to). But then we change our minds as soon as there’s a baby drinking from it (especially given that breastfeeding privately or bottling breast milk from beforehand is not particularly difficult).

I don’t really see the logic in terms of why they’re absolutely private in one situation (even to the point of inconvenience) but not the other.

Context is important.
Generally getting private parts out is a sexual act, its wrong to force your sexual desires on to others.
Breastfeeding is not a sexual act.
Reply 8
Personally I think anyone turned on/made uncomfortable by breastfeeding is weird.

Because you then have to ask yourself why does it make you feel off?
Original post by black tea
and you have personal, first hand experience of this?

Of course not.

I don’t have personal, first hand experience of visiting Antarctica is either. But I still know it is cold.
Of course not.

I don’t have personal, first hand experience of visiting Antarctica is either. But I still know it is cold.

FYI, it is not as easy as you think.
Original post by glassalice
Context is important.
Generally getting private parts out is a sexual act, its wrong to force your sexual desires on to others.
Breastfeeding is not a sexual act.

I don’t particularly see how going out topless is “forcing your sexual desires onto others”? No more so than going out wearing a mini skirt or an outfit with a lot of cleavage anyway.

You’re not forcing anyone to actually do anything to you?
FYI, it is not as easy as you think.

I’ve no doubt it’s less convenient. But it certainly isn’t prohibitively difficult either; otherwise almost every mother would be breastfeeding in public. Indeed there are several cultures throughout the world where to do so is still quite inconceivable.
I’ve no doubt it’s less convenient. But it certainly isn’t prohibitively difficult either; otherwise almost every mother would be breastfeeding in public. Indeed there are several cultures throughout the world where to do so is still quite inconceivable.

Most women in the UK do not breast feed. I don't quite see how those other cultures are relevant to the UK.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by BurstingBubbles
any tips for feeling less uncomfortable/awkward in this situation?

Just don't feel awkward about it :smile: If the woman doing it is fine with it, there is no reason you shouldn't be! I mean, at most, you will see a nipple for a few seconds before the baby latches on.
I don’t particularly see how going out topless is “forcing your sexual desires onto others”? No more so than going out wearing a mini skirt or an outfit with a lot of cleavage anyway.

You’re not forcing anyone to actually do anything to you?

Would you feel comfortable with men wearing trousers that partially showed off their penus? Or rather would you feel intimated and possibly quite frightened?

If a miniskirt was short enough that you could see the individuals vulva or anus, I believe that would be inappropriate. And I don't see how it could be considered anything other than sexually provocative and offensive.
(edited 3 years ago)
It's completely natural, however, when I'm with a mum who decides to breastfeed (I've experience that) my dumb arse would be like if I look would that look creepy, do I stare at the baby? or the mum? or do I just look down whilst she's talking to me. :rofl3:
Original post by glassalice
Would you feel comfortable with men wearing trousers that partially showed off their penus? Or rather would you feel intimated and possibly quite frightened?

If a miniskirt was short enough that you could see the individuals vagina or anus, I believe that would be inappropriate. And I don't see how it could be considered anything other than sexually provocative and offensive.

I think you mean vulva, not vagina...
Original post by Anonymous
I think you mean vulva, not vagina...

Thanks, will edit it.
Most women in the UK do not breast feed. I don't quite see how those other cultures are relevant to the UK.

The existence of such cultures simply demonstrates that avoiding breastfeeding in public is unlikely to be prohibitively difficult or inconvenient. Which is what you questioned me about in the first place.

Quick Reply

Latest