The Student Room Group

2 offers, can’t decide!

I’ve been accepted at the university of Westminster and the university of York, does anyone have any tips on which is the best to go to? I will be studying psychology
I'd personally choose the first, but it is your choice.
Great Thankyou, I’ve just been struggling to make a decision but my deadline is tomorrow for my offers
Original post by Btomlinson98
Great Thankyou, I’ve just been struggling to make a decision but my deadline is tomorrow for my offers

Have you attended open days or seen the campus for each uni? Which seems more inviting?
Personally i decided to choose my Uni based on the variety of courses they had to offer as well as better facilities than others I have seen, welcoming staff, diverse ethnic population of students, locality etc.
Original post by thagirlhanna
Have you attended open days or seen the campus for each uni? Which seems more inviting?
Personally i decided to choose my Uni based on the variety of courses they had to offer as well as better facilities than others I have seen, welcoming staff, diverse ethnic population of students, locality etc.

No I haven’t been able to attend any open days due to lock down, that’s what is making it harder for me to choose. I’ve only really seen a difference in ranking but I was told not to always go by rankings
I’ve been accepted at the university of Westminster and the university of York, does anyone have any tips on which is the best to go to? I will be studying psychology

I would go with York, London is too expensive to live in as a student to go to lowly Westminster.
Original post by Realitysreflexx
I would go with York, London is too expensive to live in as a student to go to lowly Westminster.

Is Westminster not considered to be as good of a university? It’s just a difficult decision, especially without being able to visit the campuses or anything
No I haven’t been able to attend any open days due to lock down, that’s what is making it harder for me to choose. I’ve only really seen a difference in ranking but I was told not to always go by rankings

Yes rankings aren't so useful when deciding on a university as they don't rank based on quality of teaching or anything you might be looking for. I would do research on each uni. Google the interior and exterior of each on as well as looking at their websites if they have one. Try going on UCAS as you can sometimes talk to people who are in the university for an insider perspective. Also some universities post youtube videos where students share how their experience was and take you through the campus :smile:
Original post by thagirlhanna
Yes rankings aren't so useful when deciding on a university as they don't rank based on quality of teaching or anything you might be looking for. I would do research on each uni. Google the interior and exterior of each on as well as looking at their websites if they have one. Try going on UCAS as you can sometimes talk to people who are in the university for an insider perspective. Also some universities post youtube videos where students share how their experience was and take you through the campus :smile:

That’s great I will do Thankyou, I thought I’d post on here to see if anyone had any opinions on them
That’s great I will do Thankyou, I thought I’d post on here to see if anyone had any opinions on them

No worries :h:

Depends what you want but academically & prestige wise York is in a different league to Westminster.
Do you live near either of the universities? If you're worried about homesickness or something, probably consider that when deciding?

Regarding universities and their reputations, definitely York. But, make sure that you'd want to live in York and that you'd want to do the course.
york is a whole nother level compared to westminster, plus its russell group :biggrin:
Original post by mnot
Depends what you want but academically & prestige wise York is in a different league to Westminster.

Yeah I noticed that online, I think the only downfall is that I booked accommodation and things for London thinking I wouldn’t get into York, I’m not sure if I could apply for both through clearing and make a decision at a later date so I have time for more research
Yeah I noticed that online, I think the only downfall is that I booked accommodation and things for London thinking I wouldn’t get into York, I’m not sure if I could apply for both through clearing and make a decision at a later date so I have time for more research

You could try it, but that would be a risk (certainly for York), UCAS will freeze for A-level results soon. And once it re-opens they'll be a lot more people interested in those spots.

You could try and find a replacement tenant or something. But all things being equal id recommend York.

But they are vastly different cities & universities so it depends what you want...
Original post by mnot
You could try it, but that would be a risk (certainly for York), UCAS will freeze for A-level results soon. And once it re-opens they'll be a lot more people interested in those spots.

You could try and find a replacement tenant or something. But all things being equal id recommend York.

But they are vastly different cities & universities so it depends what you want...

Yeah that’s definitely my problem, I have to apply at 6pm tonight when UCAS is back open and I just don’t know what to do, I only found out I’d been accepted at York today
Yeah that’s definitely my problem, I have to apply at 6pm tonight when UCAS is back open and I just don’t know what to do, I only found out I’d been accepted at York today

Well thats a tough situation, you could call Westminster and see if the place will be available in clearing if you accept York but you need to try asap as phones/email may close at 5pm

Ultimately its a decision you have to make, ive made my recommendation but its your call...
Okay thankyou!
Is Westminster not considered to be as good of a university? It’s just a difficult decision, especially without being able to visit the campuses or anything

Westminster....is a very famous and important place.... Not known for it's great university though... I mean it's not the worst in the country.... But it isn't anything you would announce with any great pride.

York isn't the creme de la creme either but it holds significantly more clout.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending