The Student Room Group

spanish gcse

hi, i’m doing edexel spanish and am moving to year 10. How can i improve my results and become more fluent
It depends, which aspect do you struggle the most with? :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Roses_Dreams
It depends, which aspect do you struggle the most with? :smile:

speaking
Original post by Student267
speaking

Okay, so speaking is highly dependent on your knowledge of vocabulary and application of grammar. For vocabulary, I would recommend Memrise or Quizlet but the key is to review vocabulary often, so a little bit everyday will build up to a lot :yep:. If you can get your hand on the specification, try creating sets on vocabulary so that you know the vocab that you may need to use in the exam.

For grammar, a great website to use is Conjuguemos. In the speaking you must refer to all three time frames to gain good marks- so that would be past, present and future and a few extra tenses such as the conditional could be useful. If you cannot remember the rules for tenses, I strongly recommend that you at least memorise a few key verbs in all tenses :albertein:

For pronounciation, if that is what you struggle with, listen to music and native speakers using the language. Practise speaking to somebody as often as possible, you could even speak to your wall if you like :dontknow: a great app that teaches you how to pronounce specific words you are struggling with is forvo.

Obviously idk which part you are struggling with the most in speaking, whether it be the photo card, role play or general conversation, but the most fundamental piece of advice I could give would be to practise. Learn set phrases for the photo card to be able to describe it, and then find examples of role plays, photo cards or general conversations online and just try. For general conversation answers, I wouldn't really be able to advise you how to memorise answers is that's what you struggle with :ninja: because I never did it in French and I'm still looking for a good technique in Spanish.

I hope this helps a little, and sorry for the long reply :colondollar:
I have been self studying Spanish and learning the language! It has been many years ago since I did GCSE's. I can give you some recommendations.

I love Spanish, and its one of my hobbies now!

For grammar I definitely recommend you work through a textbook. I am using Easy Spanish Step by Step by Bergstein and it has been excellent regarding the basics! When I did Spanish GCSE I was mostly doing memorising :/, and not really understanding. Studying grammar = understanding. The start of the book also has info on pronunciation. It sometimes throws a lot of vocabulary at you, but the main thing is practicing with exercises.

Also check out Language Transfer podcast Complete Spanish his audios are an excellent starting point! Since its an audio you can pay attention to how he pronounces certain words while he teaches.

If you aren't sure about how a word is pronounced or want to double check conjugations. "Spanishdict" is an excellent website! It shows you how to pronounce the word. For speaking in general you want to know how to pronounce each vowel, the fact that H is silent, and that V sounds like B.

For media I like watching Pokémon in Spanish on Netflix. I also like the YouTube channel "EasySpanish" where they interview people on the street. In Spain or in some vids Mexico (different accents).

I listen to Spanish Music more for fun rather than learning tbh.

Also make the most of your teacher. Speak to them in Spanish if you see them outside of call. In class speak to them in Spanish for example "tengo una pregunta" (I have a question). "Necesito un bolígrafo" (I need a pen). ?Puedes ayudarme? (Can you help me?)

Buena suerte
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 5
thankyou so much
Reply 6
Original post by Roses_Dreams
Okay, so speaking is highly dependent on your knowledge of vocabulary and application of grammar. For vocabulary, I would recommend Memrise or Quizlet but the key is to review vocabulary often, so a little bit everyday will build up to a lot :yep:. If you can get your hand on the specification, try creating sets on vocabulary so that you know the vocab that you may need to use in the exam.

For grammar, a great website to use is Conjuguemos. In the speaking you must refer to all three time frames to gain good marks- so that would be past, present and future and a few extra tenses such as the conditional could be useful. If you cannot remember the rules for tenses, I strongly recommend that you at least memorise a few key verbs in all tenses :albertein:

For pronounciation, if that is what you struggle with, listen to music and native speakers using the language. Practise speaking to somebody as often as possible, you could even speak to your wall if you like :dontknow: a great app that teaches you how to pronounce specific words you are struggling with is forvo.

Obviously idk which part you are struggling with the most in speaking, whether it be the photo card, role play or general conversation, but the most fundamental piece of advice I could give would be to practise. Learn set phrases for the photo card to be able to describe it, and then find examples of role plays, photo cards or general conversations online and just try. For general conversation answers, I wouldn't really be able to advise you how to memorise answers is that's what you struggle with :ninja: because I never did it in thankFrench and I'm still looking for a good technique in Spanish.

I hope this helps a little, and sorry for the long reply :colondollar:

thankyou !

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending