The Student Room Group

Powerlifting Q&A / AMA (ask me anything)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AlbinoPizza
What songs reminds you of powerlifting?

Ooh that’s an interesting one 👏🏻 Gonna answer with songs that I think relate to it, not necessarily ones I listen to whilst I lift.

Won’t back down - Eminem
Pure Grinding - Avicii
Not Afraid - Eminem (gonna put this one as the main one)
Till I collapse - Eminem (there’s a theme going here)
Loads of stuff by Zack Hemsey
Let me live / let me die - des rocs

Sorry if that’s all cliche’d lol
Does deadlifting even do anything?
I always just thought it's a way for knobheads in the gym to show off.
Much rather stick to what I can crank out reps on.
Original post by Nutritionist
Ooh that’s an interesting one 👏🏻 Gonna answer with songs that I think relate to it, not necessarily ones I listen to whilst I lift.

Won’t back down - Eminem
Pure Grinding - Avicii
Not Afraid - Eminem (gonna put this one as the main one)
Till I collapse - Eminem (there’s a theme going here)
Loads of stuff by Zack Hemsey
Let me live / let me die - des rocs

Sorry if that’s all cliche’d lol

Till I Collapse was one of the most overplayed songs at the gym I frequent. :rolleyes:
Original post by georgeparapet
Does deadlifting even do anything?
I always just thought it's a way for knobheads in the gym to show off.
Much rather stick to what I can crank out reps on.

It’s a compound movement that trains multiple muscles in the back, legs, core and posterior chain. It definitely “does something”. Also no reason you can’t crank out reps on the deadlift, you don’t have to just max it.

Also - deadlifting is one of the three lifts that are judged in powerlifting. I’m not deadlifting to look a certain way or train a certain muscle for hypertrophy, I’m deadlifting because it’s literally what the sport is. It’s like a basketball player practicing shooting hoops.
Till I Collapse was one of the most overplayed songs at the gym I frequent. :rolleyes:

I tend to keep my headphones in and avoid gym playlists!
I tend to keep my headphones in and avoid gym playlists!

My gym has a digital jukebox where you can select a song from a huge database and add it to the playlist.

Now 'Blinding Lights' by 'The Weeknd' (which I much prefer) has overtaken 'Till I Collapse'.
It’s a compound movement that trains multiple muscles in the back, legs, core and posterior chain. It definitely “does something”. Also no reason you can’t crank out reps on the deadlift, you don’t have to just max it.

Also - deadlifting is one of the three lifts that are judged in powerlifting. I’m not deadlifting to look a certain way or train a certain muscle for hypertrophy, I’m deadlifting because it’s literally what the sport is. It’s like a basketball player practicing shooting hoops.

Right :smile: I don't go to the gym much, I've got decent stuff at home and would rather work out here. Just from when I've been I've seen loads of lads piling on like 150kg to show off and stuff. Never seen the point really but thanks for the info.
My gym has a digital jukebox where you can select a song from a huge database and add it to the playlist.

Now 'Blinding Lights' by 'The Weeknd' (which I much prefer) has overtaken 'Till I Collapse'.

Oh dear, I can’t think of much worse for a gym 🤣
Original post by georgeparapet
Right :smile: I don't go to the gym much, I've got decent stuff at home and would rather work out here. Just from when I've been I've seen loads of lads piling on like 150kg to show off and stuff. Never seen the point really but thanks for the info.

If it helps I’ve trained at home throughout lockdown and I deadlift in exactly the same way when nobodies watching as I do in a packed out gym 🤷🏻*♂️ I’m not saying people don’t try and show off because in commercial gyms that’s 100% a thing. But that’s down to the person not the deadlift as an exercise 😅
Oh dear, I can’t think of much worse for a gym 🤣

What, the song, or the playlist system I mentioned?
What, the song, or the playlist system I mentioned?

The system. So many different people go to the gym and I can’t see the powerlifter getting along well with the long distance runners music and vice versa 😂
Squat 205kg (Sleeves)
Bench 130kg
Deadlift 240kg
Overhead I honestly don’t know, but I’d estimate my 1rm to be around 80-85kg for a strict OHP

All of these are powerlifting competition standard so below parallel squat, paused bench, no straps/hitching deadlift etc.

All done in the 74kg class my man, although I weigh around ~80 currently

Impressive numbers! Have you found the lockdown has made a significant dent in them, or have you been able to train at home?

Gyms here in Wales are still closed, so I've been doing dumbbell workouts at home. It'll be interesting to see what my SBDO figures are like when we can go back. I was planning on entering my first comp this year, but that idea has had to be shelved for the time being...
Original post by Cambrian80
Impressive numbers! Have you found the lockdown has made a significant dent in them, or have you been able to train at home?

Gyms here in Wales are still closed, so I've been doing dumbbell workouts at home. It'll be interesting to see what my SBDO figures are like when we can go back. I was planning on entering my first comp this year, but that idea has had to be shelved for the time being...

Thank you! I have a home gym with a full combo rack, power bar, bench and 270kg of plates so fortunately I’ve been able to do all my compounds as normal through lockdown :smile: I’ve probably progressed a bit as opposed to regressing.

All meets look to have been cancelled this year, including nationals in October sadly. So good luck for your first meet next year! Take it easy when you get back in the gym and don’t rush anything, you’ll soon be back progressing again 👍🏻
Yo bro my mother says that my current SBDO numbers are too excessive and that the weightlifting I am doing is unsafe as my bones are still maturing. I am 16 years old at a height of 186cm, I have told her that what I am doing is safe but she wants to hear from someone more experienced and knowledgeable, can you comment on that?
Original post by Dax_Swagg3r
Yo bro my mother says that my current SBDO numbers are too excessive and that the weightlifting I am doing is unsafe as my bones are still maturing. I am 16 years old at a height of 186cm, I have told her that what I am doing is safe but she wants to hear from someone more experienced and knowledgeable, can you comment on that?

The myth that lifting weights stunts growth has long since been disproven. In reality it will strengthen your joints and over time strengthen your bones as micro cracks will appear and heal more strongly, in a similar way to muscle tears healing causing hypertrophy. At 16 the numbers you’re lifting aren’t excessive and if you ensure you’re performing the lifts safely/correctly you have nothing to worry about. Form and longevity are key.
The myth that lifting weights stunts growth has long since been disproven. In reality it will strengthen your joints and over time strengthen your bones as micro cracks will appear and heal more strongly, in a similar way to muscle tears healing causing hypertrophy. At 16 the numbers you’re lifting aren’t excessive and if you ensure you’re performing the lifts safely/correctly you have nothing to worry about. Form and longevity are key.

Thanks a lot man, sent this to her.
Original post by Dax_Swagg3r
Thanks a lot man, sent this to her.

No worries 🙂 I’m 22 and my Mum still can’t watch me powerlifting. It’s a Mum thing.
No worries 🙂 I’m 22 and my Mum still can’t watch me powerlifting. It’s a Mum thing.

I guess so haha

Quick Reply

Latest