The Student Room Group

What is your university/course plans for September?

Hello. I wanted to create a thread where people can say how their university/course plans to teach their students in September. If you need any ideas there’s a format below you can do it in:

university (optional)
course
method of learning (on campus/remote/blended)
accommodation arrangements (if living away from home)

Example: I’m studying Economics at City university. Teaching will be primarily online (lectures and tutorials) but qualitative modules (where computer labs will be required) will be taught on campus if necessary.

It would be interesting to see which universities/courses plans are for next year.

Have a lovely day :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by narsy081
Hello. I wanted to create a thread where people can say how their university/course plans to teach their students in September. If you need any ideas there’s a format below you can do it in:

university (optional)
course

Hi, I'm Ellis!

Originally I was planning to do Computer Science at Hallam but since lockdown began i've had HUGE doubts over it and will probably do a Creative Writing degree at Nottingham instead. I'll have to sort through clearing on results day which will probs be a mess but hopefully i dont mess it up! I think it's virtual/online workshops and lectures, the majority of work will be coursework and portfolio filling i think (no exams, yay!)

Living wise, i'm wanting to stay in halls for the first year but will have to see what happens with the whole Covid thing :/
Anyone else planning to study writing/english or in Nottingham?
Birmingham City
Third year business management
Online lectures for semester 1, in-person seminars of about 30 students
Chester uni
Animal behaviour and psychology
Not quite sure what is happening with lectures / seminars yet

university (optional)
course

Example: I’m studying Economics at City university. Teaching will be primarily online (lectures and tutorials) but qualitative modules (where computer labs will be required) will be taught on campus if necessary.

It would be interesting to see which universities/courses plans are for next year.

Have a lovely day :smile:

Hey @narsy081

I go to Portsmouth uni and am going into my third year of pharmacy
The teaching is going to be online for lectures but I believe workshops and labs will still run on campus :smile:

And I am planing on still living at uni :smile:

Eloise - Official Student Rep
Reply 5
That’s interesting to hear! I live at home so I don’t have to worry about accommodation. But that’s such an interesting story. It took lockdown to make me realise that Economics was what I really wanted to do and I had made the right choice. Clearing is going to be chaos this year but I wish you all the best
Reply 6
Original post by Matt14451
Birmingham City

You’re having in person tutorials for a similar course? Lucky you. I’m only on campus if I absolutely need to be (e.g to use computer labs) but I don’t know the situation could change at any time. Good Luck
Reply 7
Original post by SnowyOwl102
Hi, I'm Ellis!

Originally I was planning to do Computer Science at Hallam but since lockdown began i've had HUGE doubts over it and will probably do a Creative Writing degree at Nottingham instead. I'll have to sort through clearing on results day which will probs be a mess but hopefully i dont mess it up! I think it's virtual/online workshops and lectures, the majority of work will be coursework and portfolio filling i think (no exams, yay!)

Living wise, i'm wanting to stay in halls for the first year but will have to see what happens with the whole Covid thing :/

That’s interesting to hear! I live at home so I don’t have to worry about accommodation. But that’s such an interesting story. It took lockdown to make me realise that Economics was what I really wanted to do and I had made the right choice. Clearing is going to be chaos this year but I wish you all the best
Reply 8
Original post by Anonymous
Chester uni
Animal behaviour and psychology
Not quite sure what is happening with lectures / seminars yet

I have never heard of that course until today. It seems very interesting. I don’t know how your course is taught so I can’t guess, but I wish you all the best!
Reply 9
Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Hey @narsy081

I go to Portsmouth uni and am going into my third year of pharmacy
The teaching is going to be online for lectures but I believe workshops and labs will still run on campus :smile:

And I am planing on still living at uni :smile:

Eloise - Official Student Rep

That’s interesting. I see that some students are going to most likely stay at home because they don’t want to pay for halls to not have any teaching on campus. But it’s down to the individual decision.
Birmingham City

Not only am I surprised that your seminars have 30 people attending, I'm also surprised they are allowing that. Though if the room is big enough you could all spread out.
Original post by UnwantedKid
Not only am I surprised that your seminars have 30 people attending, I'm also surprised they are allowing that. Though if the room is big enough you could all spread out.

Yeah, I was pretty surprised when I read it, mentioned subject bubbles. Doesn't sound like they're following government guidance but trying to have an open mind. More worried about catching it when using two buses each way.
Yeah, I was pretty surprised when I read it, mentioned subject bubbles. Doesn't sound like they're following government guidance but trying to have an open mind. More worried about catching it when using two buses each way.

They might change it last minute when you go back, instead of now so they can encourage as many people back as possible :P I don't know if universities are allowed to do this, but I wouldn't be surprised if they tried stunts like this, while knowing damn well it won't work out. They need all the money they can get.
They might change it last minute when you go back, instead of now so they can encourage as many people back as possible :P I don't know if universities are allowed to do this, but I wouldn't be surprised if they tried stunts like this, while knowing damn well it won't work out. They need all the money they can get.

Nothing can be predicted these days I guess

Thank you, It will be a bit chaotic but hoping all goes well!
Reply 15

My universities haven’t said anything about ‘bubbles’ but I think it’s going to be the people you live with. It’s just a wait and see
Reply 16

Apparently universities are not allowed to ‘overpromise’ students (e.g say there will the things available when students come back when there isn’t or lie). It all depends on what restrictions are in place for that particular area or nationally.
Reply 17
Thank you, It will be a bit chaotic but hoping all goes well!

same to you
Hi, I'm Ellis!

Hi.
You don’t have to wait until results day to start planning for clearing. You can go onto the UCAS website now and see which universities are open for clearing. Make a note of universities that you like the look of along with their entry requirements and clearing phone number number. That way you won’t be trying to navigate a slow and constantly crashing UCAS website on results day and waiting in hour long phone queues.
Phoenix :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by Phoenixfeather99
Hi.
You don’t have to wait until results day to start planning for clearing. You can go onto the UCAS website now and see which universities are open for clearing. Make a note of universities that you like the look of along with their entry requirements and clearing phone number number. That way you won’t be trying to navigate a slow and constantly crashing UCAS website on results day and waiting in hour long phone queues.
Phoenix :smile:

I’ve already been looking at clearing courses, coz I’m hoping for the best but preparing for the worst

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending