The Student Room Group

Is it possible to grow after 16 when you're a girl?

I'm 14 and 15 in a month and I'm about 5'3 :frown: . I've grown about 2 inches every year and I just wanted to ask if any of yall have grown after 16 and if so how much taller. I'm worried because I looked up when girls stop growing and it literally said around 14/15 **** scares me.

Scroll to see replies

I didn’t grow between 12 and 16 but then grew 1.5 inches when I was 17. According to some equation that looks at growth within populations that was unusual but it can happen. Even if you don’t grow you are around average height and it’s not really something you can control so there’s not much you can do apart from embrace it
Original post by getlostloser
I'm 14 and 15 in a month and I'm about 5'3 :frown: . I've grown about 2 inches every year and I just wanted to ask if any of yall have grown after 16 and if so how much taller. I'm worried because I looked up when girls stop growing and it literally said around 14/15 **** scares me.

Yes, plenty. And FYI that's a very normal height for a girl - nothing to worry about.
Original post by RoyalSheepy
Yes, plenty. And FYI that's a very normal height for a girl - nothing to worry about.

hahaha thank you! I've just been called short most of my life and my relatives are super tall
Original post by Anonymous
I didn’t grow between 12 and 16 but then grew 1.5 inches when I was 17. According to some equation that looks at growth within populations that was unusual but it can happen. Even if you don’t grow you are around average height and it’s not really something you can control so there’s not much you can do apart from embrace it

Oh okay that's really interesting
hahaha thank you! I've just been called short most of my life and my relatives are super tall

What height are your parents, if you don't mind me asking?

Btw girls stop growing around 18, and even still that's not accurate - it's totally dependent on the person.

Just make sure you're eating well and having a good sleeping pattern.
my mom's 5'2 and my dad's 5'11
I'm 5 foot 3 too! Well almost 5 foot 4, but I want to be a lot taller. There was another thread asking whether you could have a growth spurt after 16, and all the replies to that one made me so hopeful. But most of it depends on genetics:redface:
i don’t think it’s anything to worry about, i’m 17 and i actually think i’m still growing, either that or my brothers and parents are shrinking ahah
my mom's 5'2 and my dad's 5'11

also this is pretty much the same with my parents too, although my mum might be a bit shorter, im not sure, but my dad’s height is around 5’10/11 i think. i’m now around 5’5/6. i might’ve stopped growing now idk but i know for sure that this year i have grown a bit in height!
yes thank you! I get that genetics matter a lot but my cousins parents were 5'1 and 5'6 and they're both 5'9

Original post by KelsieTaylor
I'm 5 foot 3 too! Well almost 5 foot 4, but I want to be a lot taller. There was another thread asking whether you could have a growth spurt after 16, and all the replies to that one made me so hopeful. But most of it depends on genetics:redface:
Original post by birights
i don’t think it’s anything to worry about, i’m 17 and i actually think i’m still growing, either that or my brothers and parents are shrinking ahah

also this is pretty much the same with my parents too, although my mum might be a bit shorter, im not sure, but my dad’s height is around 5’10/11 i think. i’m now around 5’5/6. i might’ve stopped growing now idk but i know for sure that this year i have grown a bit in height!

oh really? thats great! how tall were u when u were 14 though?
oh really? thats great! how tall were u when u were 14 though?

ooh i’m not sure, i think at that age i wasn’t too much shorter, i don’t think i grow very fast! maybe around 5’3 or 5’4? probably 5’4 i think i was still slightly taller than my mum aha
yes thank you! I get that genetics matter a lot but my cousins parents were 5'1 and 5'6 and they're both 5'9

Some people are just lucky, I guess:frown:. And everyone tells me that its all about genetics every time I say I want to be taller, even though my mum's like 5 foot 4 and my dad's 5 foot 8. Would it be sensible to hope to be 5 foot 6(or 7, that would be great)?
Original post by birights
ooh i’m not sure, i think at that age i wasn’t too much shorter, i don’t think i grow very fast! maybe around 5’3 or 5’4? probably 5’4 i think i was still slightly taller than my mum aha

oh really? thanks this literally makes me feel so much better
Some people are just lucky, I guess:frown:. And everyone tells me that its all about genetics every time I say I want to be taller, even though my mum's like 5 foot 4 and my dad's 5 foot 8. Would it be sensible to hope to be 5 foot 6(or 7, that would be great)?

YES thats literally what i'm going for! I'm betting we can both be that tall
I think I was 15 when I stopped growing and I'm just short of 5'6, my parents were 6'2 and 5'7
YES thats literally what i'm going for! I'm betting we can both be that tall

Prsom:smile: Hopefully we continue to grow taller! I have a friend who just stopped growing all of a sudden. Fingers crossed that doesn't happen to us
Prsom:smile: Hopefully we continue to grow taller! I have a friend who just stopped growing all of a sudden. Fingers crossed that doesn't happen to us

YES hopefully not!!!
Original post by claireestelle
I think I was 15 when I stopped growing and I'm just short of 5'6, my parents were 6'2 and 5'7

5'6 is not bad at all though! But dang your parents are tall
5'6 is not bad at all though! But dang your parents are tall

my dad had a condition that made his tissues more stretchy, no one else in the family was anywhere near that tall.

Quick Reply

Latest