mxya.9
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hi,
I'm about to go into year 11 and have to start thinking about A levels... i have a passion for economics and am good at it, so am strongly thinking about taking it for a level. I also like psychology and sociology (however i am not sure). What a levels would accompany economics and what advice would you have regarding a levels?
Thanks
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by mxya.9)
Hi,
I'm about to go into year 11 and have to start thinking about A levels... i have a passion for economics and am good at it, so am strongly thinking about taking it for a level. I also like psychology and sociology (however i am not sure). What a levels would accompany economics and what advice would you have regarding a levels?
Thanks
psychology and sociology do go well together, if you do economics as well it's whether you'd enjoy doing 3 essay based subjects.
bluebeetle
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hi,
Thanks
If you think you'd like to study economics at a university level later on, and you're interested in attending a "prestigious" university, you should consider taking maths, as this is a requirement for a lot of the more competitive economics courses.

However, there are also many degrees in economics that don't require an A-level in maths, so if you're not too concerned about attending a particular university, it shouldn't be an issue. Many just ask for a 6 in maths at GCSE.
mxya.9
Rep:
?
(Original post by bluebeetle)
If you think you'd like to study economics at a university level later on, and you're interested in attending a "prestigious" university, you should consider taking maths, as this is a requirement for a lot of the more competitive economics courses.

However, there are also many degrees in economics that don't require an A-level in maths, so if you're not too concerned about attending a particular university, it shouldn't be an issue. Many just ask for a 6 in maths at GCSE.
Hi i was hoping to get into a Rusell group university- is there a large difference between further maths and core maths- would it matter which one i chose in accompaniment with economics if i wanted to pursue economics at university level potentially?
Thanks!!
mxya.9
Rep:
?
(Original post by claireestelle)
psychology and sociology do go well together, if you do economics as well it's whether you'd enjoy doing 3 essay based subjects.
What's the difference between psychology and sociology? Also, i've heard you'd have to do a science to accompany them/ that would be a good choice. I don't want to do science above gcse level- is this true? Thanks !!
bluebeetle
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hi i was hoping to get into a Rusell group university- is there a large difference between further maths and core maths- would it matter which one i chose in accompaniment with economics if i wanted to pursue economics at university level potentially?
Thanks!!
Further maths is an A-level that can only be taken if you also do (or already have done) Maths A-level.

Core Maths is a one-year qualification that doesn’t count as a full A-level, but can supplement your mathematical knowledge if you don’t want to take the full A-level in maths. However, this won’t be enough for universities that require an A-level in maths.

Your best bet is to just take regular maths A-level along with two other A-levels. I wouldn’t worry about Further Maths, but if you have a particular university in mind, it doesn’t hurt to check their requirements to be sure.
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
What's the difference between psychology and sociology? Also, i've heard you'd have to do a science to accompany them/ that would be a good choice. I don't want to do science above gcse level- is this true? Thanks !!
no you don't need a science to get alongside psychology and sociology, anyone I knew in sixth form that did them didn't do science at the same time. psychology is the study of individual behaviour mostly and sociology is more society as a whole I believe.
Bekki S
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hi,
Thanks
I do aqa sociology. Honestly it's not that difficult, there's just a lot to remember. If you have specific uni courses in mind I'd recommend looking at the entry requirements for them and deciding what subjects to do based on that. If there aren't any requirements make sure you pick subjects you enjoy because there's nothing worse than having to sit in a class that you don't want to be in.
mxya.9
Rep:
?
nk

(Original post by Bekki S)
I do aqa sociology. Honestly it's not that difficult, there's just a lot to remember. If you have specific uni courses in mind I'd recommend looking at the entry requirements for them and deciding what subjects to do based on that. If there aren't any requirements make sure you pick subjects you enjoy because there's nothing worse than having to sit in a class that you don't want to be in.
Thank you so much!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (135)
14.63%
I'm not sure (40)
4.33%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (280)
30.34%
I have already dropped out (24)
2.6%
I'm not a current university student (444)
48.1%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed