The Student Room Group

How do I know if a university is a city university?

I can't seem to find a list of city universities, and when I google them, it's not quite clear if they are a city or campus university.
Original post by WinterLE
I can't seem to find a list of city universities, and when I google them, it's not quite clear if they are a city or campus university.

some of them could be considered both in some ways hence why there won't be a specific list.
Reply 2
Which subject would you like to read and what would your preference be, in a city or just outside on a campus?
The older ones generally tend to be city ones and the newer one campus ones. The earlier universities were built when the cities hadnt expanded. Anything gaining university after 1950 is likely to be on a campus for this reason. Places like Manchester, Bristol, Liverpool, Leeds, Sheffield, UCL, LSE, Imperial and Kings tend to be in the City.

Places like Exeter, Bath, Lancaster, Warwick, East Anglia are newer and built outside of the city centre. What are you actually looking for. The prospectus should help you.

look around the uni on google maps.

Definitely google maps is great. Ive dropped the little yellow man in the bottom right corner to have a look around on nearby streets at street view too, and you can tell if its placed in the city or its a campus
Original post by swanseajack1
The older ones generally tend to be city ones and the newer one campus ones. The earlier universities were built when the cities hadnt expanded. Anything gaining university after 1950 is likely to be on a campus for this reason. Places like Manchester, Bristol, Liverpool, Leeds, Sheffield, UCL, LSE, Imperial and Kings tend to be in the City.

Places like Exeter, Bath, Lancaster, Warwick, East Anglia are newer and built outside of the city centre. What are you actually looking for. The prospectus should help you.

This is good advice, and as others say, Google maps should also make it clear. Which ones are you looking at?

Hi @WinterLE

The University of Sheffield is a city university and is situated right in the city centre. Saying that, it does feel like a campus at times as the university buildings are mostly within 5-10 minutes walk of each other, so essentially you get the best of both worlds at Sheffield.

Hope that helps.
- Soumya
(Biomedical Science graduate, The University of Sheffield)
Original post by claireestelle
some of them could be considered both in some ways hence why there won't be a specific list.

I agree with this - the university I went to for undergrad, Bournemouth, has two campuses. One is in the town and one is a little ways out. OP, I would also look at where the course you are studying would be within the uni as if it is a multi-campus one like mine was, it could be in either.

Quick Reply