The Student Room Group

Year 11 revision

I’m transitioning from year 10 to 11 and I was wondering how many hours of revision should I do? Also if you have any advice for year 11s please tell meee
Hi @Usernamechange44 :hello:

The amount you need to study might change from person to person. One thing I found during my studies was that the quality of your revision is much more important than the quantity. My biggest tip would be to 'Study SMART Not Long'.

SMART stands for:
o Set yourself goals.
o Make study techniques that promote greater results.
o Ask for help.
o Reward yourself for progress.
o Take a Break.

S: Set yourself goals for study. For example, make up an exam/essay question and work towards answering it.
M: Remember VARK. Are you a Visual learner, Audio learner, Reading learner or Kinetic learner. Use study techniques that will promote the best learning for yourself.
A: If you are struggling with anything ask your teacher for help. Their job is to help you with your studies. Alternatively, use study guides or the internet to help breakdown tough subjects.
R: When you hit your goals, complete work and meet important deadlines reward yourself with treats. For example, make watching an episode of your favourite show your reward for completing tasks.
T: When you’ve finished studying take breaks. Go for a walk, hang with friends or get a cup of tea and watch TV. It’s important not to overdo revising.

Studying in this way should help you to develop healthy and effective study habits.

I hope this helps. if you have any questions, feel free to ask!

Melissa :five:
Reply 2
Original post by Liverpool Hope University

The amount you need to study might change from person to person. One thing I found during my studies was that the quality of your revision is much more important than the quantity. My biggest tip would be to 'Study SMART Not Long'.

SMART stands for:
o Set yourself goals.
o Ask for help.
o Take a Break.

S: Set yourself goals for study. For example, make up an exam/essay question and work towards answering it.
M: Remember VARK. Are you a Visual learner, Audio learner, Reading learner or Kinetic learner. Use study techniques that will promote the best learning for yourself.
A: If you are struggling with anything ask your teacher for help. Their job is to help you with your studies. Alternatively, use study guides or the internet to help breakdown tough subjects.
R: When you hit your goals, complete work and meet important deadlines reward yourself with treats. For example, make watching an episode of your favourite show your reward for completing tasks.
T: When you’ve finished studying take breaks. Go for a walk, hang with friends or get a cup of tea and watch TV. It’s important not to overdo revising.

Studying in this way should help you to develop healthy and effective study habits.

Thank you so much! I was wondering, could you give examples on how to study using VARK? Do you also have tips for effective studying?
Original post by Usernamechange44
I’m transitioning from year 10 to 11 and I was wondering how many hours of revision should I do? Also if you have any advice for year 11s please tell meee

https://www.onlyphysics.org/subjecthelp/general/gcse-webinar-get-your-grade-9

this link is helpful
Original post by Liverpool Hope University

SMART stands for:
o Set yourself goals.
o Ask for help.
o Take a Break.

Thank you Melissa that was quite helpful :woo:
do a bit of revision (an hour or two, several days a week but not everyday!) to keep the content fresh in your mind but don't overdo it as you don't want to be burnt out starting year 11.
i enjoyed year 11, try not to worry too much about it! just make sure you pace yourself, revise for mocks and make notes as you go along. and always ask teachers if you don't understand something; they're here to help.
Original post by Usernamechange44
Thank you so much! I was wondering, could you give examples on how to study using VARK? Do you also have tips for effective studying?

No problem!

VARK -

Visual learner - Visual learner may benefit from the use of spider diagrams, drawings, colour, photographs, film etc. I myself prefer this way of studying. I used to find it useful to draw diagrams and make posters, then stick them on my wall and read them from time to time.

Audio learners - Audio learners prefer to learn by listening. This could be listening to YouTube videos/podcasts or recording you lessons and listening back to them (with permission of course).

Read/write - These kinds of learners may prefer to write notes several times to revise content.

Kinisthetic learner - Kinisthetic learners like to learn by doing - for example, they may remember how to do a specific experiment by doing it. These learners may also benefit from listening to music whilst revising, as you can attach certain concepts to certain songs.

You may prefer one of these types of learning, you may prefer to use several. Online, you can find lots of different questionnaires which might help you find your learning style. Once you find your style you should be able to revise more effectively!

We also have a range of study skills resources on our website which you may find useful! You can find these here.

I hope this helps! If you have nay questions, feel free to ask!

Melissa :groovy:
Original post by SuperiorPotato
Thank you Melissa that was quite helpful :woo:

No problem! Glad to help! :rofl3:
Try to make revision as you go along. It will save you a lot of time! a couple hours a night should be enough!

Quick Reply

Latest