The Student Room Group

My parents won't let me move out for uni?

I'm supposed to go to uni in 2024, so like after 4 years but im slightly worried about this I know they wont change their minds so what do i have to do to move out without their permission and live in halls and have enough money for everything

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Hannah0505
I'm supposed to go to uni in 2024, so like after 4 years but im slightly worried about this I know they wont change their minds so what do i have to do to move out without their permission and live in halls and have enough money for everything

work on saving money where you can now, that's plenty of time for them to either see sense or get a part time job when you can to start making money if they won't support you
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
work on saving money where you can now, that's plenty of time for them to either see sense or get a part time job when you can to start making money if they won't support you

thanks
Save money, get a part time job if possible and when the time comes tell 'em to get stuffed. I sincerely hope by the time it comes around (and it's a long way away) they change their minds but parents that are controlling to that extent have no right to enforce themselves on their childs decisions.
The main challenge would be if they were higher earners as that would affect the amount of maintenance loan you would get. If they won't support you, if you go against their wishes, then you would need to find a job to make up the shortfall. If this is likely to be the case then I would not set your heart on any London unis as the living costs are so much higher.
Hopefully they will relax their stance when the time comes.
Reply 5
Original post by NedgarDavids
Save money, get a part time job if possible and when the time comes tell 'em to get stuffed. I sincerely hope by the time it comes around (and it's a long way away) they change their minds but parents that are controlling to that extent have no right to enforce themselves on their childs decisions.

thanks. my parents say that if i leave im abandoning them
If you aren't likely to depend on them financially when you go to University (i.e. if your household income is likely to be below ideally £24000 P.A., meaning you're legible for a full maintenance loan) then there is no reason why you can't leave regardless of their permission. You'll have your own income to pay any expenses and bills, as well as accommodation, and you can supplement this amount (as it can sometimes fall short of what you're expecting to have to pay out) through working a part-time job. Legally speaking, there is nothing your parents can do to prevent you from leaving home and going to university after the age of 18. As I mention above, however, if your household income is above £24000 per annum, the amount of maintenance loan you can get per year decreases significantly, and as such you may depend on your parents to help you pay your living costs. Best of luck! :smile:

yeah I have had the exact same scenario with my mum and I know it's a horrible situation to be in. Took me until I was 20 to start pushing back and fight for independence haha, good luck and remember to always live your life on your terms, you'll be alright :smile:
They might change their mind, you're still quite young so they're still protective of you and don't want to let you go so soon. Be patient :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by CoryDeAth
If you aren't likely to depend on them financially when you go to University (i.e. if your household income is likely to be below ideally £24000 P.A., meaning you're legible for a full maintenance loan) then there is no reason why you can't leave regardless of their permission. You'll have your own income to pay any expenses and bills, as well as accommodation, and you can supplement this amount (as it can sometimes fall short of what you're expecting to have to pay out) through working a part-time job. Legally speaking, there is nothing your parents can do to prevent you from leaving home and going to university after the age of 18. As I mention above, however, if your household income is above £24000 per annum, the amount of maintenance loan you can get per year decreases significantly, and as such you may depend on your parents to help you pay your living costs. Best of luck! :smile:

Thanks! However im a bit confused on what a maintenance loan is.
Original post by sparks8483
They might change their mind, you're still quite young so they're still protective of you and don't want to let you go so soon. Be patient :smile:

trust me they won't
Focus on identifying your two most highly preferred career plans and work towards achieving the best possible grades that you can.
Then hopefully in four years time, you will be able to choose between a range of uni offers far away from your local area and may be eligible for extra funding in the form of academic bursaries.
If you are able to save up some money from part time earnings and birthday gifts that will be very helpful.
But even if you can't, you are likely to be offered a student overdraft.

I escaped from my parents before a level results were out seven years ago and will probably never speak to them again.
I've got through my undergrad and postgrads with income from student loans, earnings, bank credit and employer sponsorship.
Do bear in mind that your parents may be very obstructive when trying to prevent you from being able to move away for uni.
My mother told me I wasn't allowed to have student loans, stole my lifesavings intended to fund uni accommodation and gave me several ultimatums.
As an undergrad I got the basic loan because my parents were not willing to provide any info to student finance, couldn't afford uni student accommodation and rented a room in private houseshares to keep accommodation expenses low.
Thanks! However im a bit confused on what a maintenance loan is.

you don't really need to know the details yet but at a high level SFE (Student Finance England) lend you the course fees (currently £9250 per year) and pay this directly to the uni, plus they lend you money for maintenance (accomodation, food, travel, books, whatever you need to live). The maintenance loan amount is based on your household (parental) income. If they are low earners you could get the full £9000 or so each year, if they are high earners you get the minimum which is about £4800, and there is a sliding scale between the 2. £5k is pretty tight to live on and would not cover uni accommodation so you would need to get a job/find cheap accomodation/live frugally.
Original post by ReadingMum
you don't really need to know the details yet but at a high level SFE (Student Finance England) lend you the course fees (currently £9250 per year) and pay this directly to the uni, plus they lend you money for maintenance (accomodation, food, travel, books, whatever you need to live). The maintenance loan amount is based on your household (parental) income. If they are low earners you could get the full £9000 or so each year, if they are high earners you get the minimum which is about £4800, and there is a sliding scale between the 2. £5k is pretty tight to live on and would not cover uni accommodation so you would need to get a job/find cheap accomodation/live frugally.

Oh okay thanks alot for the info

Yeah, typical emotional blackmailing :mad:
Original post by ZR246
Yeah, typical emotional blackmailing :mad:

Exactly, my parents always do things like that. whenever i say no to them they start doing this
Reply 16

In what way are they dependent on you?
Get into a very high ranking uni. They can't say no to that, plus the financial aid is usally decent for really high unis like cambridge
Original post by Sinnoh
In what way are they dependent on you?

in no way.
Original post by Anonymous
Get into a very high ranking uni. They can't say no to that, plus the financial aid is usally decent for really high unis like cambridge

im too stupid for that but lets hope i smarten up before then

Quick Reply

Latest