Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
B1600 –Essentials Provision Bill 2020: Miss Maddie MP

A
BILL
TO

Essentials Provision Bill 2020

An Act introducing an entitlement to essentials or equivalent for disadvantaged children during school holidays.

BE IT ENACTED by the Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons, in this present Parliament assembled, and by the authority of the same, as follows:—

1: Entitlement to essentials in school holidays
(1) Where a child is entitled to free school lunches under section 512ZB of the Education Act 1996, they are also entitled to essentials provision in school holidays.
(2) Entitlement to essentials provision in school holidays applies—
(2) (a) during every week of the school holidays, as determined by the child’s school.
(2) (b) during every part-week of the school holidays, as determined by the child’s school, to an extent proportional to the number of days that fall within the school holidays.
(2) (c) on INSET days, as designated by the child’s school.

2: Nature of essentials provision in school holidays
(1) Responsibility for essentials provision in school holidays rests with the local authority.
(2) The nature of this provision may be—
(a) provision of a daily essentials to the child.
(b) daily or weekly essentials by the local authority of vouchers equivalent to the value of all essentials, to the persons with parental responsibility for the child.
(c) daily or weekly distribution by the local authority of a cash sum equivalent to the value of all essentials, to the persons with parental responsibility for the child.
(3) The option to provide a cash sum under section 2(2)(c) will cease to be available after 30th June 2021.
(4) The Secretary of State shall determine a monetary sum that is deemed to be equivalent to the value of essentials
(5) The monetary sum in section 2(3) may be set universally across England or individually by local authority.

3: Essentials vouchers
Where a local authority chooses to provide essentials vouchers as per section 2(2)(b), the vouchers must—
(a) be redeemable in exchange for essentials in at least 60 per cent of supermarkets in England and with at least 60% of essentials suppliers.
(b) not be used to purchase items other than essentials

4: Definitions
(1) For the purposes of this Act, a ‘week’ runs from Monday to Friday, inclusive.
(2) ‘Local authority’ is defined as in the 1996 Act.
(3) ‘Essentials’ refers to energy bills (water, gas and electricity), toothpaste, toilet rolls, tooth brushes, underwear, babies nappies, soap, bedding, cooking and eating utensils.
(a) the Secretary of State may add essentials to this list using relevant secondary legislation.
(4) ‘Supermarket’ refers to any retail premises with a retail floor area of no less than 280 square metres that sells essentials.

5: Extent, commencement and short title
(1) This Act extends to England.
(2) The provisions of this Act come into force immediately.
(3) This Act may be cited as the Essentials Provision Act 2020.

Notes

Throughout the history of human life, it has been recognised that essentials have a particular role in providing vital support to all children. For many poor children, their school is the only time they receive essentials like central heating and clean, running water. During the school holidays, this essentials provision usually disappears, but the need for it does not.

This bill proposes to introduce a new duty on local authorities to combat essentials poverty. This may theoretically be fulfilled in one of two ways: the provision of essentials or vouchers. It is not anticipated that councils will usually choose to provide themselves, though this option is available, and could be taken up where councils offer extra-curricular holiday activities, for example. It is more likely that councils will choose to provide vouchers. There is an option to continue to provide cash until 30th June 2021, to allow anyone using a cash scheme to transition, but from (in practice) the summer holiday next year, only vouchers or direct provision will be available.
Vapordave
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
How much is this predicted to cost?
Isn't this what benefits are for?
Is this a joke?
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Vapordave)
How much is this predicted to cost?
Isn't this what benefits are for?
Is this a joke?
Your voting record makes that question funny
Miss Maddie
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Pretty obvious but an Aye from me.
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Currently I'm Voting no.

This is a bill not an act, so the description needs changing. A Bill To doesn't work if there's nothing following that sentence.

The notes don't clearly explain what change is being made to the status quo.

I'm not sure what this bill does but I doubt it is feasible with immediate effect.

For 4.3.a, I'd like to see the SoS be able to take things off that list too.

Overall this bill needs work but I think after a second reading it might be in a shape that could get some more support from the house.

Personally I don't think that support will come from me as I have a different view on what qualifies as essential which is unlikely to be changed.

As always, I thank the author (not that I know who that is, doesn't display on the app) for providing the house with a new topic of discussion and I look forward to the debate.
Miss Maddie
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by 04MR17)
Currently I'm Voting no.

This is a bill not an act, so the description needs changing. A Bill To doesn't work if there's nothing following that sentence.

The notes don't clearly explain what change is being made to the status quo.

I'm not sure what this bill does but I doubt it is feasible with immediate effect.

For 4.3.a, I'd like to see the SoS be able to take things off that list too.

Overall this bill needs work but I think after a second reading it might be in a shape that could get some more support from the house.

Personally I don't think that support will come from me as I have a different view on what qualifies as essential which is unlikely to be changed.

As always, I thank the author (not that I know who that is, doesn't display on the app) for providing the house with a new topic of discussion and I look forward to the debate.
The bill is called a bill. "A Bill To" "Essentials Provision Bill" A bill referring itself as an Act is perfectly legitimate.

It's obvious what it does. It provides children with the essentials.

43a. The SoS can't take things off the list. If the SoS could, the list could be eliminated and the bill rendered useless.
Vapordave
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Jammy Duel)
Your voting record makes that question funny
Children are provided free meals at school. In light of the current crisis it is reasonable to extend this.

Children are not provided accommodation at (non-boarding) school.
Miss Maddie
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Children are provided free meals at school. In light of the current crisis it is reasonable to extend this.

Free meals doesn't help them if they can't afford clean tap water. This bill provides them with the water they need.
SnowMiku
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I believe benefits already covers this and the bill itself sounds very much like a certain school meals-related bill that the house has recently debated. Hm.

Even so, if this were to pass, I'd like to see sanitary products added onto the list of essential items. Period poverty sadly exists when it definitely shouldn't.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by SnowMiku)
I believe benefits already covers this and the bill itself sounds very much like a certain school meals-related bill that the house has recently debated. Hm.

Even so, if this were to pass, I'd like to see sanitary products added onto the list of essential items. Period poverty sadly exists when it definitely shouldn't.
When did schools start handing out tampons?

Also, benefits cover food already and yet you voted to dish out money for food during holidays.

How many more lefties will vote one way and speak another?
Miss Maddie
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by SnowMiku)

I will add those on. My thinking was the NHS gives out free tampons. I'll add that for the second reading.

Free meals were extended despite benefits existing. We need to provide the essentials. Some children don't have clean water in the UK.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago

I don't see accomodation in the bill, at least go for something like underwear which is in there.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I know the bulk is a copy and paste job and this is ultimately a joke item, but last I checked supermarkets don't sell energy bills.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Miss Maddie)
I will add those on. My thinking was the NHS gives out free tampons. I'll add that for the second reading.

Free meals were extended despite benefits existing. We need to provide the essentials. Some children don't have clean water in the UK.
If the NHS is already giving out free tampons then why do we also need to give people money to buy them?
Miss Maddie
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I know the bulk is a copy and paste job and this is ultimately a joke item, but last I checked supermarkets don't sell energy bills.
Hm, you're right. I should have made that clearer.
Vapordave
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Free meals doesn't help them if they can't afford clean tap water. This bill provides them with the water they need.
Short of a building and furniture, this bill provides things that I would class as part of adequate accommodation.
Miss Maddie
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
If the NHS is already giving out free tampons then why do we also need to give people money to buy them?
Food banks give out free food and we need to give them money to buy food.
Miss Maddie
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Short of a building and furniture, this bill provides things that I would class as part of adequate accommodation.
You're aware energy bills are often paid on top of rent/mortgage, right?
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
The building is kinda the important part...
Vapordave
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
You're aware energy bills are often paid on top of rent/mortgage, right?
Yes.

The building is kinda the important part...
It is but the point is that FSM is only designed to tackle the issue of poor diet in disadvantaged children. It is not designed to give all deprived households with children subsidies in almost everything but rent - that's what benefits are for. This does not make any sense logically and economically so I will be voting Nay.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (6)
33.33%
I'm not sure (0)
0%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (5)
27.78%
I have already dropped out (1)
5.56%
I'm not a current university student (6)
33.33%

Watched Threads