The Student Room Group

A level applications advice D:

Hi! I have absolutely no idea what's going on and I'm not sure who to ask, so I figured I'd direct my questions here first.

I applied late to a college after the college I originally applied to stopped running my courses, but it's been a few months and they've only acknowledged my application, not offered me a place. I haven't had a chance to even see the college yet because of Covid-19 and I haven't done an interview, so I'm not sure if that's normal or if it's just taking time because everyone's working at home 'cause of Covid, or if it's because it's now the summer holidays?

My main question I have is whether or not I can enrol there if they haven't offered me a place by enrolment day, which is a lot sooner than I'd like, and what to do if I don't get in? I still have a place at the other college if I really need it, but as they're not running the course I need, I'm obviously not keen to go there, and I don't have anywhere else I've applied to fall back on.

If anyone who knows more about the process and what I should do next could advise me, that'd be great!!
Is it possible for you to email the college you’re interested in enrolling at to ask politely for an update on your application form?
Reply 2
Original post by Mesopotamian.
Is it possible for you to email the college you’re interested in enrolling at to ask politely for an update on your application form?

Yes, that's what I'm doing now! I've sent one to my secondary school as well, in case they know anything else, posting here is just to get some other opinions and see if anyone else in in or has been in a similar situation :biggrin:
There's not really a standard process for college applications (assuming we're talking about a FE college to do A Levels, rather than a HE college for a university-type course) so it's difficult to say. A polite but firm way of demonstrating how frustrating this has been for you might be to ask if they inform applicants of their rejection.

Is it possible that they're waiting on GCSE results and haven't said anything?
Reply 4
Original post by 04MR17
There's not really a standard process for college applications (assuming we're talking about a FE college to do A Levels, rather than a HE college for a university-type course) so it's difficult to say. A polite but firm way of demonstrating how frustrating this has been for you might be to ask if they inform applicants of their rejection.

Is it possible that they're waiting on GCSE results and haven't said anything?

Sorry, yes I'm talking about A Levels, not university, sorry I should've clarified in the original post! But yes, the lack of standard process is really annoying, especially as only my city uses the system I use, so it's not even like I can google how it works, all I have is contact info for some government lady I'm too intimidated to e-mail :frown: I might just try your suggestion, though I hope they don't want to reject me lmao- I'm predicted 11 GCSEs grade 7-9, including extracurriculars like further maths, so I doubt they actually don't want me in the college, especially considering entry requirements are 4 GCSEs at grade 6 or something... it's possible they're waiting for GCSE results to be released, but considering we're not actually sitting the exams and are getting our grades based on our predicteds, it seems a bit strange to do that :/ thank you for your advice though, I really appreciate it!
Original post by emwheatles
Sorry, yes I'm talking about A Levels, not university, sorry I should've clarified in the original post!
I took an educated guess and moved your thread to the secondary schools & colleges forum. :smile:

But yes, the lack of standard process is really annoying, especially as only my city uses the system I use, so it's not even like I can google how it works, all I have is contact info for some government lady I'm too intimidated to e-mail :frown: I might just try your suggestion, though I hope they don't want to reject me lmao- I'm predicted 11 GCSEs grade 7-9, including extracurriculars like further maths, so I doubt they actually don't want me in the college, especially considering entry requirements are 4 GCSEs at grade 6 or something... it's possible they're waiting for GCSE results to be released, but considering we're not actually sitting the exams and are getting our grades based on our predicteds, it seems a bit strange to do that :/ thank you for your advice though, I really appreciate it!
You don't need to convince me. :nah: Best of luck. :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by 04MR17
I took an educated guess and moved your thread to the secondary schools & colleges forum. :smile:

You don't need to convince me. :nah: Best of luck. :smile:

thank youuu :biggrin:
Yes they don’t give u a guaranteed place until u have your results so u should get an email or a call or a letter confirming your place. If u don’t get in, there are other colleges that will accept u, even if it was your third option etc because not everyone that applies to that’s school ends up going. I know in my sixthform, a lot of people in highschool said it was their first choice so it was a higher chance of them getting in just incase they didn’t get into other places but then went to another college.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Geraldthegoat
Yes they don’t give u a guaranteed place until u have your results so u should get an email or a call or a letter confirming your place. If u don’t get in, there are other colleges that will accept u, even if it was your third option etc because not everyone that applies to that’s school ends up going. I know in my sixthform, a lot of people in highschool said it was their first choice so it was a higher chance of them getting in just incase they didn’t get into other places but then went to another college.

ah, thank you! I didn't know that, I thought you could only enrol if you were offered a place beforehand :smile: this helped me relax a little haha
ah, thank you! I didn't know that, I thought you could only enrol if you were offered a place beforehand :smile: this helped me relax a little haha

Yeah so my highschool is attached to my sixthform, so we got to put our applications in first before external students. Then we got through saying our application has been accepted, we got to pick our subjects and then we had to tell them the other colleges we were applying to. Then on results day, they gave us confirmation that we got in to that school.
Reply 10
Original post by Geraldthegoat
Yeah so my highschool is attached to my sixthform, so we got to put our applications in first before external students. Then we got through saying our application has been accepted, we got to pick our subjects and then we had to tell them the other colleges we were applying to. Then on results day, they gave us confirmation that we got in to that school.

I guess I'll wait until results day then :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending