The Student Room Group

Nat5 and higher

I got a no award in nat5 physics and I was wondering if they would still allow me to take it for higher if I consider doing it over a 2 year time period so does anyone know if that's a possibility ?

Scroll to see replies

I would ask your school, as that can't do too much harm. Certainly doing it over two years is a rather laborious process. Really it depends on a variety of factors, I find often the opinion of the subject teacher(s) carry/ies a lot of weight, so perhaps try contacting them and asking first, and try to get them on side?

Really it's up to the whims of the school. Were you predicted something better? Did you you outperform that on your prelims?

Hopefully someone more familiar with this will chime in, I have had a rather long process of changing my subjects at the start of this year just gone, but the circumstances were all rather different I'm afraid.

PS. Love your username :biggrin:
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by waytoostressed
I got a no award in nat5 physics and I was wondering if they would still allow me to take it for higher if I consider doing it over a 2 year time period so does anyone know if that's a possibility ?

It's really at the discretion of your school, and even then, there would likely be different opinions between or within the department...How was your performance throughout the year?
It depends on the school, it might be possible. However, since SQA changed the exam formats Higher’s are taken over 1 year typically compared to 2 previously with the old qualification. Previously many took Int 2 (roughly equal of N5) over 2 years - as they felt more comfortable doing so.
Original post by Labrador99
It's really at the discretion of your school, and even then, there would likely be different opinions between or within the department...How was your performance throughout the year?

my progress was decent I passed my prelim and unit tests and my target grade was also a pass and was exactly the same as my progress in mathes but the sqa passed me on maths but failed me in physics :/
If you passed your prelim and were progressing well then they should let you do higher. Appeal for the physics though
my progress was decent I passed my prelim and unit tests and my target grade was also a pass and was exactly the same as my progress in mathes but the sqa passed me on maths but failed me in physics :/

In the short term, definitely appeal it if your teachers had estimated you a higher grade. But to go back to your original question, doing it over 2 years sounds like a good 'middle ground' option - speak to your physics department about it and see if it's something they're also happy for you to do :smile:
In the short term, definitely appeal it if your teachers had estimated you a higher grade. But to go back to your original question, doing it over 2 years sounds like a good 'middle ground' option - speak to your physics department about it and see if it's something they're also happy for you to do :smile:

I asked about the appeal system and I have to put in writing and I'm not sure what I'm supposed to write :/
I asked about the appeal system and I have to put in writing and I'm not sure what I'm supposed to write :/

Your school/college is the only one that can submit it, so it's rubbish that they are being awkward about it :facepalm: The SQA do however require that they have got your consent to submit the appeal, so they are probably being overly cautious on that front...You don't need to write extensively, something along the lines of:

Dear _____

Following the 2020 SQA Results Day earlier this week, I am writing to confirm that I would like __[school name here]__ to submit a Post-Certification Review (appeal) to the SQA on my behalf for the following qualifications that I took in the 2019-20 academic year:

[List which qualifications here].

The SQA procedure is such that this request must be submitted by the school or college, and have the candidate's consent - please accept this letter as the latter. Please let me know if you require anything from me as part of the evidence you submit to the SQA, and keep me updated as the appeal progresses.

Yours sincerely
[Name]

^^ The above is pretty formal, but if they're insisting on a request from you in writing, then it should do the job :smile:
Your school/college is the only one that can submit it, so it's rubbish that they are being awkward about it :facepalm: The SQA do however require that they have got your consent to submit the appeal, so they are probably being overly cautious on that front...You don't need to write extensively, something along the lines of:

Dear _____

Following the 2020 SQA Results Day earlier this week, I am writing to confirm that I would like __[school name here]__ to submit a Post-Certification Review (appeal) to the SQA on my behalf for the following qualifications that I took in the 2019-20 academic year:

[List which qualifications here].

The SQA procedure is such that this request must be submitted by the school or college, and have the candidate's consent - please accept this letter as the latter. Please let me know if you require anything from me as part of the evidence you submit to the SQA, and keep me updated as the appeal progresses.

Yours sincerely
[Name]

^^ The above is pretty formal, but if they're insisting on a request from you in writing, then it should do the job :smile:

Dear whomever it may concern

Following the 2020 SQA Results Day earlier this week, I am writing to confirm that I would like __[school name here]__ to submit a Post-Certification Review (appeal) to the SQA on my behalf for the following qualification that I took in the 2019-20 academic year:

National 5 Physics

I would like if my prelim and coursework can be put forward as evidence to show that I was at a grade higher than what I received.

The SQA procedure is such that this request must be submitted by the school or college, and have the candidate's consent - please accept this letter as the latter. Please let me know if you require anything else from me as part of the evidence you submit to the SQA, and keep me updated as the appeal progresses.

Yours sincerely
[Name]

does it look good enough? should I add points on how I can be graded lower than what I already achieved in my prelim? I need this to be approved by the school head so it can be given to the sqa :/
Dear whomever it may concern

Following the 2020 SQA Results Day earlier this week, I am writing to confirm that I would like __[school name here]__ to submit a Post-Certification Review (appeal) to the SQA on my behalf for the following qualification that I took in the 2019-20 academic year:

National 5 Physics

I would like if my prelim and coursework can be put forward as evidence to show that I was at a grade higher than what I received.

The SQA procedure is such that this request must be submitted by the school or college, and have the candidate's consent - please accept this letter as the latter. Please let me know if you require anything else from me as part of the evidence you submit to the SQA, and keep me updated as the appeal progresses.

Yours sincerely
[Name]

does it look good enough? should I add points on how I can be graded lower than what I already achieved in my prelim? I need this to be approved by the school head so it can be given to the sqa :/

The SQA wouldn't see the letter as they haven't mentioned anything about needing a letter from candidates - your school needs to submit the appeal. It would also be up to the school to decide the most appropriate evidence to send the SQA :redface:

[The Children & Young People's Commissioner is calling for this to change & for students to be able to appeal directly, but for now, this is where we're at :s-smilie:]
The SQA wouldn't see the letter as they haven't mentioned anything about needing a letter from candidates - your school needs to submit the appeal. It would also be up to the school to decide the most appropriate evidence to send the SQA :redface:

[The Children & Young People's Commissioner is calling for this to change & for students to be able to appeal directly, but for now, this is where we're at :s-smilie:]

so its a complete disadvantage and we can decide on what we want to be sent woww

idk who decided to grade us like this but i hope they step on lego and die, they ruined so many futures :frown:

[The Children
(edited 3 years ago)
Hold up something went wrong with the comment

I doubt that my ESOL grade will be upgraded because evry teacher in modern langs department didn’t know how to mark my prelim so I got a C 😭
so its a complete disadvantage and we can decide on what we want to be sent woww

idk who decided to grade us like this but i hope they step on lego and die, they ruined so many futures :frown:

Speak to your school again & ask straight up the following:
1) the estimated grade they submitted to the SQA (this will confirm your eligibility to appeal)
2) what they need from you to be able to submit the appeal
3) if they will submit the appeal
4) if not, follow up & ask why not.

Ideally, get it in writing, from someone like your SQA centre coordinator (usually a depute head).
Original post by Kubsyy
I doubt that my ESOL grade will be upgraded because evry teacher in modern langs department didn’t know how to mark my prelim so I got a C 😭

That's rubbish :s-smilie: The appeal process will (I think at least) need to take into account the standard of the prelim in the sense that if the prelim was set at too easy/too difficult a level, it will factor this in to the holistic decision making. Your teacher can submit a short paragraph alongside the evidence, so if they are in agreement that their inexperience with the course could have affected you, it would probably be worthwhile them mentioning this :smile:
That's rubbish :s-smilie: The appeal process will (I think at least) need to take into account the standard of the prelim in the sense that if the prelim was set at too easy/too difficult a level, it will factor this in to the holistic decision making. Your teacher can submit a short paragraph alongside the evidence, so if they are in agreement that their inexperience with the course could have affected you, it would probably be worthwhile them mentioning this :smile:

Yes, I have contacted the school about it and will be hearing from the SQA coordinator :smile:. Also the prelim was straight from SQA specimen paper 😬
Original post by Kubsyy
Yes, I have contacted the school about it and will be hearing from the SQA coordinator :smile:. Also the prelim was straight from SQA specimen paper 😬

Glad to hear :smile:

Gonna be honest, that's not great in terms of your case :s-smilie: The SQA won't accept publicly available papers as sufficient evidence on their own (it can be part of a suite of evidence, but not the sole evidence), seeing as you could have got all the answers for it...Make sure when they do submit, they send a range of evidence pieces - there's some guidance in this doc - https://www.sqa.org.uk/sqa/files_ccc/post-certification-review-information-for-centres.pdf
Glad to hear :smile:

Gonna be honest, that's not great in terms of your case :s-smilie: The SQA won't accept publicly available papers as sufficient evidence on their own (it can be part of a suite of evidence, but not the sole evidence), seeing as you could have got all the answers for it...Make sure when they do submit, they send a range of evidence pieces - there's some guidance in this doc - https://www.sqa.org.uk/sqa/files_ccc/post-certification-review-information-for-centres.pdf

Yeah I’m also not sure about that although as part of Higher ESOL coursework I had to do a normal english conversation about anything for 15 mins maybe that could work.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending