The Student Room Group

English Literature

Does anyone have a recommendation for a fictional novel that’s about love and loss and how they go hand in hand. Preferably a novel where the ‘love’ doesn’t actually die but just leaves or changes. (But is still ‘lost’ from the main characters life) thanks.
Reply 1
Original post by Molly_
Does anyone have a recommendation for a fictional novel that’s about love and loss and how they go hand in hand. Preferably a novel where the ‘love’ doesn’t actually die but just leaves or changes. (But is still ‘lost’ from the main characters life) thanks.

I'd recommend The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini. I studied it for my English Literature A Level and loved it!
Original post by Joy L
I'd recommend The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini. I studied it for my English Literature A Level and loved it!

Hi - Did you do a level english lit coursework? If you got a very high mark could you possibly give me some tips on how to approach it and like plan for it and stuff? No worries if not!
If this is for literature coursework do you have to do love or can you pick a different theme?
Reply 4
Original post by bubblebubble1234
Hi - Did you do a level english lit coursework? If you got a very high mark could you possibly give me some tips on how to approach it and like plan for it and stuff? No worries if not!

I got an A* for my coursework so sure. Any questions you have just ask away :smile:
Original post by Molly_

Tess of the D'urbervilles and Wuthering Heights might work! I am studying these texts for my A-level English Lit!
Reply 6
Original post by maahum
Tess of the D'urbervilles and Wuthering Heights might work! I am studying these texts for my A-level English Lit!

I studied Tess too. Incredibly sad and tragic although the "love" does actually die in this novel
Reply 7
im doing the same theme too!! still writing m,y first draft though. im doing captain corellis mandolin and the english patient. id love to discuss the writing with you
Reply 8
Original post by English2001
If this is for literature coursework do you have to do love or can you pick a different theme?

Yeah it’s for English lit course work. And no we don’t have to do love we can choose any theme we want (which is honestly a struggle for me as I’m so indecisive). Was just thinking of love and loss as a possible themes or possible grief. But at this stage I’m still undecided. Any ideas?
Reply 9
Original post by maahum

Ooo sounds good I’ll have to check them out. Good luck with your English lit :-)
Reply 10
Original post by Joy L

Never heard of this novel before but thanks to wonderful google I checked it out and sounds really interesting but not sure if it’s my cup of tea. Will have to do more research on it tho and thanks so much for the recommendation. How did you find English lit? What would you’re best tips be? (if you don’t mind me asking) Thanks
Reply 11
Original post by siumi
im doing the same theme too!! still writing m,y first draft though. im doing captain corellis mandolin and the english patient. id love to discuss the writing with you

Ah how exciting! We haven’t started drafting yet so far we’re only trying to pick out novels and even then we have until September to decide. Will definitely check out those novels. And would love to hear about how you get on with the course work always enjoy talking to others about English literature.
Reply 12
Handmaids Tale is good for love and loss (though in a darker more alternative way)

The fact is, it explores the love between men and women, how it was had but has now been lost to the character. The system of society says a lot about love and sin and is good for analysing what love actually is and how it can be interpreted. Also it deals with the love between mother and child, and (spoiler alert (but who doesn’t know the plot srsly)) losing the love with your child forcibly.

Its a strange choice for most people but that’s what I’d choose. The fact is it’s metaphorical and more of a philosophical analysis of love and lust than some love take, so may not be what you have in mind.

Always a consideration though (also it’s a classic, they won’t ever frown upon the choice)
Reply 13
Original post by Nevi
Handmaids Tale is good for love and loss (though in a darker more alternative way)

The fact is, it explores the love between men and women, how it was had but has now been lost to the character. The system of society says a lot about love and sin and is good for analysing what love actually is and how it can be interpreted. Also it deals with the love between mother and child, and (spoiler alert (but who doesn’t know the plot srsly)) losing the love with your child forcibly.

Its a strange choice for most people but that’s what I’d choose. The fact is it’s metaphorical and more of a philosophical analysis of love and lust than some love take, so may not be what you have in mind.

Always a consideration though (also it’s a classic, they won’t ever frown upon the choice)

Only ever watched the most recent series of the Handmaids Tale and loved it. So maybe you’re right that it would be a good novel to study thanks for the suggestion.
I think I would find it a difficult one to navigate as there’s so many messages to cover but I guess that’s what makes it interesting.
Will definitely bear it in mind :-)
i studied atonement at a level but i do think it looks at love at quite an interesting way- the protagonist believes she's deeply in love with a childhood friend and when her love is unrequited, she ends up telling a lie that pretty much ruins the whole family family and their relationships with one another.
Original post by Molly_
Yeah it’s for English lit course work. And no we don’t have to do love we can choose any theme we want (which is honestly a struggle for me as I’m so indecisive). Was just thinking of love and loss as a possible themes or possible grief. But at this stage I’m still undecided. Any ideas?

My theme was obsession but it all depends on the books that you’re doing

Quick Reply

Latest