The Student Room Group

Fitting in at uni.

These posts probably circulate each year. I’m going to a city uni in September, and I’m nervous about finding people. I was bullied at college and this has knocked my social skills right back. Everyone at Leeds is so ‘edgy’ and I love their outfits, vibe, everything!! But I don’t know what clothes to wear, I used to wear thick jumpers and scarves and I worry I’ll stand out and nobody will talk to me. I’m also really shy but once I get to know people which I really will do my best to, I do have decent conversation skills. Any ideas on what to wear, what to say? Honestly I keep looking on Zara and keep feeling so conflicted I don’t get anything. I haven’t bought clothes in years. I don’t know lol
Hey! I’m going into my second year of uni and I can completely understand as I felt similarly before I started at uni! I don’t know much about Leeds uni in particular but I can honestly say that at uni in general you can completely be yourself and people are lot less judgmental than at sixth form/college if that’s what you’re worried about. From my experience Uni is completely different and it’s so easy to make friends as everyone is in the same position wanting to meet new people and by being completely yourself you will find your own people. So don’t feel pressured to ‘fit in’ as uni is a huge place and you’ll find that people are generally more accepting and willing to make friends! Before you start uni I would really recommend that you join group chats for your uni course and accommodation so you can meet people before you start and then that way you’ll Recognise a few people before starting and it will be easier to make friends that way! I found this massively helpful as I recognised people on my course when I got to uni and had already spoken to them on a group chat and it was nice to finally meet when we got there :smile:
Original post by okurr123
Hey! I’m going into my second year of uni and I can completely understand as I felt similarly before I started at uni! I don’t know much about Leeds uni in particular but I can honestly say that at uni in general you can completely be yourself and people are lot less judgmental than at sixth form/college if that’s what you’re worried about. From my experience Uni is completely different and it’s so easy to make friends as everyone is in the same position wanting to meet new people and by being completely yourself you will find your own people. So don’t feel pressured to ‘fit in’ as uni is a huge place and you’ll find that people are generally more accepting and willing to make friends! Before you start uni I would really recommend that you join group chats for your uni course and accommodation so you can meet people before you start and then that way you’ll Recognise a few people before starting and it will be easier to make friends that way! I found this massively helpful as I recognised people on my course when I got to uni and had already spoken to them on a group chat and it was nice to finally meet when we got there :smile:

Thankyou so much, I’ve been getting myself all knotted up. I’m already in a subject chat and we have zoom calls which is lovely, I’ll try to find some for my accommodation☺️

So did you find that people didn’t judge what you were wearing? That’s really nice to hear, people look lovely in all of these things but I feel odd when I do 😂x
Heyyy I’m starting at leeds uni in September too, just remember everyone’ll be in the same boat as you in first year, trying to make friends and settle in so even though it’s daunting you aren’t alone. x I also don’t think anyone will be v judgemental in uni just because they’re a lot more mature compared to sixth form/ college I wouldn’t worry too much ab how you dress as long as your comfortable in what you wear xx
Original post by Aneesa6767
Heyyy I’m starting at leeds uni in September too, just remember everyone’ll be in the same boat as you in first year, trying to make friends and settle in so even though it’s daunting you aren’t alone. x I also don’t think anyone will be v judgemental in uni just because they’re a lot more mature compared to sixth form/ college I wouldn’t worry too much ab how you dress as long as your comfortable in what you wear xx

Ah I hope you enjoy Leeds 😊 yeah I think that’s what I’ve got to keep reminding myself about, I think I’ll just stick to what I like. Thankyou!xx
Original post by Experiment626boo
Thankyou so much, I’ve been getting myself all knotted up. I’m already in a subject chat and we have zoom calls which is lovely, I’ll try to find some for my accommodation☺️

So did you find that people didn’t judge what you were wearing? That’s really nice to hear, people look lovely in all of these things but I feel odd when I do 😂x

Nope no one was judgmental about what people were wearing. Uni is such a diverse place with people from different places and countries so no one judges you :smile: so don’t feel pressured at all to wear a style of clothing unless you really like it of course :smile:
Hi! There's no need to worry, a lot of students will be in the same position as you and will feel nervous even upon arrival. Just try to stay calm and be yourself. Maybe join some societies, and take part in some events which your student accommodation may hold to get to know the people around you. People in Leeds are pretty laid back, so wear what you want- whenever you want!

Quick Reply

Latest