The Student Room Group

mathematics in Oxbridge

how good do I need to be in maths in order to do maths in oxbridge? I would say I do well for maths in school, but I don't have experience in participating in any mathematical olympiad competitions. If I were to apply oxbridge, should I apply for Oxford or Cambridge? Oxford seems to have a lower acceptance rate, but step exams are way harder than MAT. If I am able to get interview offer, I'm not sure whether I can perform well because I lack exposure of mathematics outside the curriculum. However, oxbridge are top tier unis which makes me want to apply. But I still have to look at the chances of getting in, because I do not want to apply oxbridge just to waste a space out of 5 unis application.
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

This all depends on what year you're in right now. Oxbridge is extremely competitive for maths, so you need to be outstanding in both Maths and Further Maths (I believe most people get A*s in both) and have an interest outside of the curriculum. If you've got a few years to go before university then you've got time to read around your subject and develop further interests.

Oxford and Cambridge are very good it's true, but there are plenty of other amazing university out there for maths and employers will still be very happy to take you on. If you think you could get in there's no harm in applying, if not, you'll still get a great education.
Reply 2
At interview they won't try and surprise you with something you can't reasonably have known. If they give you something new and outside of the curriculum, then they will explain it to you while you're there
You don't need to have participated in an Olympiad but it'd be a good thing to put on the personal statement. University admissions tutors look for engagement with your subject beyond the classroom so I'd definitely recommend, where possible, participating in an Olympiad, doing a maths based EPQ, reading a book about an area of maths that interests you and goes beyond the curriculum, to name just a couple of possibilities.
If you think you've got a reasonable shot at Oxbridge then you're likely to get into the rest of your choices as well, so I wouldn't be too worried about "wasting" a space.
You cannot apply to Oxford and Cambridge in the same application round, so you'll have to make a choice between them.
Original post by a lost girl
how good do I need to be in maths in order to do maths in oxbridge?

Superb. The very best.
how good do I need to be in maths in order to do maths in oxbridge? I would say I do well for maths in school, but I don't have experience in participating in any mathematical olympiad competitions. If I were to apply oxbridge, should I apply for Oxford and Cambridge? Oxford seems to have a lower acceptance rate, but step exams are way harder than MAT. If I am able to get interview offer, I'm not sure whether I can perform well because I lack exposure of mathematics outside the curriculum. However, oxbridge are top tier unis which makes me want to apply. But I still have to look at the chances of getting in, because I do not want to apply oxbridge just to waste a space out of 5 unis application.

What sort of predicted grades in Maths and F Maths are you expecting?

Have you done any UKMT competitions and what else outside the classroom?
Reply 5
how good do I need to be in maths in order to do maths in oxbridge? I would say I do well for maths in school, but I don't have experience in participating in any mathematical olympiad competitions. If I were to apply oxbridge, should I apply for Oxford and Cambridge? Oxford seems to have a lower acceptance rate, but step exams are way harder than MAT. If I am able to get interview offer, I'm not sure whether I can perform well because I lack exposure of mathematics outside the curriculum. However, oxbridge are top tier unis which makes me want to apply. But I still have to look at the chances of getting in, because I do not want to apply oxbridge just to waste a space out of 5 unis application.

Ignore what Reality Check says, you don't have to be the "very best" whatever quite that means. And competitions and EPQs are not of particular interest - I say this as an Oxbridge maths tutor. They can bring benefit but they're not optimally what you should be spending time on (unless there's some EPQ you particularly wish to do).

For you to judge whether you might competitively apply it's really about - Can you achieve the right grades (A*A*A) in your A-levels or equivalent? And, with practice, can you do competitively well in the tests, MAT or STEP?

STEP requires considerable practice but MAT still requires some. Are you applying for this October? If so then, if interested in Oxford, then the MAT is something you should be practising now. Be realistic about your marks - a mark of 60 can be good (past marks are on the website), and you should expect such in your first efforts. If Cambridge, then you obviously have a bit longer to prepare for STEP.
Reply 6
Is it? I don't think that's how most would read it. Quite a high percentage of those taking the A-levels get A* in maths and further maths. A*A*A is the standard offer for maths at quite a few universities. At an open day we would never think of using language like you need to be "Superb. The very best."
Reply 7
Such language is plain unhelpful. Many students are nervous when they've a right to be aspirational. Advice needs to be realistic, but also encouraging within reason. And to say Oxford maths students are all "Superb. The very best." is just not true - though some are.
Original post by whycantwerun
This all depends on what year you're in right now. Oxbridge is extremely competitive for maths, so you need to be outstanding in both Maths and Further Maths (I believe most people get A*s in both) and have an interest outside of the curriculum. If you've got a few years to go before university then you've got time to read around your subject and develop further interests.

Oxford and Cambridge are very good it's true, but there are plenty of other amazing university out there for maths and employers will still be very happy to take you on. If you think you could get in there's no harm in applying, if not, you'll still get a great education.

I will be sitting for AS in october and i have to submit my ucas application soon to enroll in the uk university for september 2021. Any suggestions on what books to read to develop my interest?
Reply 9
I will be sitting for AS in october and i have to submit my ucas application soon to enroll in the uk university for september 2021. Any suggestions on what books to read to develop my interest?

@Oxford Mum may have a chapter on this in her thread Oxford Demystified.
Original post by Mikos
At interview they won't try and surprise you with something you can't reasonably have known. If they give you something new and outside of the curriculum, then they will explain it to you while you're there
You don't need to have participated in an Olympiad but it'd be a good thing to put on the personal statement. University admissions tutors look for engagement with your subject beyond the classroom so I'd definitely recommend, where possible, participating in an Olympiad, doing a maths based EPQ, reading a book about an area of maths that interests you and goes beyond the curriculum, to name just a couple of possibilities.
If you think you've got a reasonable shot at Oxbridge then you're likely to get into the rest of your choices as well, so I wouldn't be too worried about "wasting" a space.
You cannot apply to Oxford and Cambridge in the same application round, so you'll have to make a choice between them.

Now I am not sure whether i have to possibility to get into oxbridge. I do not know what level do i have to be at to study in the unis other an oxbridge too. I will include further reading in maths in personal statement :smile:
Original post by Reality Check
Superb. The very best.

I need to know how good is best.
Original post by Muttley79
What sort of predicted grades in Maths and F Maths are you expecting?

Have you done any UKMT competitions and what else outside the classroom?

I am expecting A*s for both. I have not done any UKMT competitions, just started some further reading recently.
Original post by RichE
Ignore what Reality Check says, you don't have to be the "very best" whatever quite that means. And competitions and EPQs are not of particular interest - I say this as an Oxbridge maths tutor. They can bring benefit but they're not optimally what you should be spending time on (unless there's some EPQ you particularly wish to do).

For you to judge whether you might competitively apply it's really about - Can you achieve the right grades (A*A*A) in your A-levels or equivalent? And, with practice, can you do competitively well in the tests, MAT or STEP?

STEP requires considerable practice but MAT still requires some. Are you applying for this October? If so then, if interested in Oxford, then the MAT is something you should be practising now. Be realistic about your marks - a mark of 60 can be good (past marks are on the website), and you should expect such in your first efforts. If Cambridge, then you obviously have a bit longer to prepare for STEP.

The right grades are achievable for me. I am applying for 2021, I will sit for my AS exam this october and i have to submit ucas application this year. I'm quite sure that i can do better in MAT though.

Lack of outside the curriculum 'stuff' is a concern - how can you show your love for Maths if you done little beyond the classroom?

I'd start now with accessible stuff like Rob Eastaway's books "Why do buses come in 3s" or "How long is a piece of string?"
http://robeastaway.com/books

Start looking at NRICH and other websites like https://undergroundmathematics.org/

You can download UKMT Senior Maths challenge papers for free at the moment.too.
Reply 15
The right grades are achievable for me. I am applying for 2021, I will sit for my AS exam this october and i have to submit ucas application this year. I'm quite sure that i can do better in MAT though.

Thanks. I think improving your MAT this summer should be a priority if you’re considering Oxford. It’s the main shortlisting tool ahead of interviews.

And obviously your AS revision.
Original post by Muttley79
Lack of outside the curriculum 'stuff' is a concern - how can you show your love for Maths if you done little beyond the classroom?

I'd start now with accessible stuff like Rob Eastaway's books "Why do buses come in 3s" or "How long is a piece of string?"
http://robeastaway.com/books

Start looking at NRICH and other websites like https://undergroundmathematics.org/

You can download UKMT Senior Maths challenge papers for free at the moment.too.

I was just too focused on my studies during my previous years, dealing with several subjects that I hate and participating extracurricular activities. I regret for not doing more maths outside the curriculum too. Now I need to focus on my AS and at the same time applying to the uk universities. I will try to look into the reference that you have suggested, thanks anyway :smile:
Original post by RichE
Thanks. I think improving your MAT this summer should be a priority if you’re considering Oxford. It’s the main shortlisting tool ahead of interviews.

And obviously your AS revision.

Thank you for your opinion and your advice as they are really helpful. :biggrin:
I was just too focused on my studies during my previous years, dealing with several subjects that I hate and participating extracurricular activities. I regret for not doing more maths outside the curriculum too. Now I need to focus on my AS and at the same time applying to the uk universities. I will try to look into the reference that you have suggested, thanks anyway :smile:

You can do both - those books aren't heavy and could be read in a couple of hours or dipped into [should be available from a library]. Yes do look at MAT and your AS but you need other stuff to put on UCAS to show your interest in Maths.

Have you got support at school?
Original post by RichE

I agree you do not have to be the "very best". It depends on what that means.

People think you have to be a genius to get an Oxbridge place (and unfortunately this may put some off applying), but out of all the people I know who have got in, I have only met one person whom I considered an actual genius. Many applicants may have only hazy ideas of how clever you may have to be to get a place, especially if their school is not used to getting offers for their pupils.

However many state school students have applied for all sorts of subjects and have been pleasantly surprised to receive offers. If OP feels they will get the grades, it is worth applying, as they may be good enough, but just not know it.

Certainly you will need to get the correct A level grades to meet your offer. Also practise some maths questions as Muttley and RichE have said.

@a lost girl

Quick Reply

Latest