The Student Room Group

How much weight can you really lose from drinking water?

I went from 89kg to 86kg from drinking water and watching what I eat. How much can you lose from just water alone?
Original post by Jones448
I went from 89kg to 86kg from drinking water and watching what I eat. How much can you lose from just water alone?

Water doesnt make you lose weight. It is calorie neutral so if you drink 1kg of water, then you will put that on and then when you have passed it, then lose it again.

Do you mean fasting i.e eating nothing?
If you are doing 5:2 , then maybe, if you are doing uncontrolled fasting/ starvation then that is dangerous.
You sound as though you dont know what you are doing.
Calorie deficit is what helps you lose weight.
Original post by 999tigger
Water doesnt make you lose weight. It is calorie neutral so if you drink 1kg of water, then you will put that on and then when you have passed it, then lose it again.

Do you mean fasting i.e eating nothing?
If you are doing 5:2 , then maybe, if you are doing uncontrolled fasting/ starvation then that is dangerous.
You sound as though you dont know what you are doing.
Calorie deficit is what helps you lose weight.

Ohh wow i was really naive then, just stumbled upon this thread. Wondering what you mean by calorie deficit. I have definately put on weight since this lock down. And i don't mean to hijack this thread from the original poster.
You aren't gonna lose weight by drinking water :lol: You lose weight by burning more calories than you eat.
Original post by Blackstarr
Ohh wow i was really naive then, just stumbled upon this thread. Wondering what you mean by calorie deficit. I have definately put on weight since this lock down. And i don't mean to hijack this thread from the original poster.

A calorie deficit is when you supply uyour body with less calories than it needs for that day/ week.
Work out what your maintenance calories are based on height and weight and that will give you a typical daily amount your body needs to function. You then add an additional amount based on exercise, which also burns calories, but its hard to burn significant amounts.

If the amount fo clkaories you eat is less than the claories you need, then you are at a deficit. A consistent deficit over time of 500 calories a day should result in a weight loss of 1lb a week.

So if your masintenance was 2000 claories and you reduced your intake to 1500 a day then afer a week you would have had enough for a 1lb weight loss.

Quick Reply

Latest