The Student Room Group

What’s the most important book you have read this year?

I feel like I have had more time to read books of my choice this year. What kind of eye opening / moving / surprising books have you read? Any recommendations very welcome!!

Scroll to see replies

I'm doing an MA English Lit and I really enjoyed Kindred, The Secret Agent and His Dark Materials trilogy :smile: Oh and Handmaid's Tale and Brave New World :smile:
Reply 2
The Buddhist Literature of Ancient Gandhara

It is in the main a cool translation of what are now the oldest known Buddhist manuscripts, even older than the Pāli Canon. But it also shows that the sharp distinctions drawn between Thereavāda and Mahāyāna teachings is nonsense: both were taught together way earlier than any Indologists had previously thought. Game changer in a really understated way.
Reply 3
Original post by ArabellaMarie8
I'm doing an MA English Lit and I really enjoyed Kindred, The Secret Agent and His Dark Materials trilogy :smile: Oh and Handmaid's Tale and Brave New World :smile:

Oohhh awesome!! I’ve read the latter three - HDM materials one of my favourite from being a kid!!

Who wrote kindred? What’s it about? What about it felt important and profound?
Reply 4
Original post by gjd800
The Buddhist Literature of Ancient Gandhara

It is in the main a cool translation of what are now the oldest known Buddhist manuscripts, even older than the Pāli Canon. But it also shows that the sharp distinctions drawn between Thereavāda and Mahāyāna teachings is nonsense: both were taught together way earlier than any Indologists had previously thought. Game changer in a really understated way.

Oohh this makes me wish I knew more about Buddhism - I’ve not even heard about the Pali Canon! Sounds really really interesting!

What did you learn from it that you found most profound or surprising?
Reply 5
I'm not sure i'd describe any of them as 'important' per-se, interesting certainly though.
Opium; Realities Dark Dream being on the best, Simply because of the stark difference it showed on how opiates are viewed in society between 1910 and 2010 (as an example) being able to buy a nice bottle of heroin for your wifes birthday at the local cornershop vs. meeting a dodgy stranger in a dark ally and possibly being hurled in jail.
Other than that, 'Boom: the Chemistry and History of Explosives' simply because who doesnt like learning about things that go bang :biggrin:
Reply 6
Original post by Napp
I'm not sure i'd describe any of them as 'important' per-se, interesting certainly though.
Opium; Realities Dark Dream being on the best, Simply because of the stark difference it showed on how opiates are viewed in society between 1910 and 2010 (as an example) being able to buy a nice bottle of heroin for your wifes birthday at the local cornershop vs. meeting a dodgy stranger in a dark ally and possibly being hurled in jail.
Other than that, 'Boom: the Chemistry and History of Explosives' simply because who doesnt like learning about things that go bang :biggrin:

Oh wow the opiates one sounds fascinating! Is it didactic in approach? Maybe calling for a more medicalised treatment of addiction - Does it not really go there?

I might be one of the people who’s not really into learning about things that go bang haha! Thanks for the reco though
Reply 7
Original post by llksg90
Oh wow the opiates one sounds fascinating! Is it didactic in approach? Maybe calling for a more medicalised treatment of addiction - Does it not really go there?

I might be one of the people who’s not really into learning about things that go bang haha! Thanks for the reco though

Ummm too a point it is. It's written by a former Doctor (who has a penchant for using sarcasm :lol: ) but its more just a broad historical overview of the early use of opium, through to laudanum and then eventually onto the pharmacuticalisation of the poppy. So more of a historical account than much else but it provides some interesting context to how its viewed these days :smile:
He does briefly touch on the issue of addiction, namely to show the absolute barbarism they used to inflict on addicts to "cure" them. But all things considered an excellent book on the topic and eminently readable :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Napp
Ummm too a point it is. It's written by a former Doctor (who has a penchant for using sarcasm :lol: ) but its more just a broad historical overview of the early use of opium, through to laudanum and then eventually onto the pharmacuticalisation of the poppy. So more of a historical account than much else but it provides some interesting context to how its viewed these days :smile:
He does briefly touch on the issue of addiction, namely to show the absolute barbarism they used to inflict on addicts to "cure" them. But all things considered an excellent book on the topic and eminently readable :smile:

Sold!! Thanks 😄😄
Reply 9
“Hitching Rides With Buddha” by Will Ferguson. I wouldn’t define it an “important” book, but it is definitely worth a read. The author recounts his trip around Japan describing the people, culture and places he went to in an interesting and extremely funny way
"He's just not that into you" by Greg Behrendt and Liz Tucillo

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hes-Just-Not-That-Into/dp/0007431856

I have used it successfully to suss out which guys are wasting my time and are not interested in me, even though they pretend they are. Actually it is all of them.
Well its gotta be my merchandise book
Reply 12
Original post by Medikj
“Hitching Rides With Buddha” by Will Ferguson. I wouldn’t define it an “important” book, but it is definitely worth a read. The author recounts his trip around Japan describing the people, culture and places he went to in an interesting and extremely funny way

Hahaha I love a funny but insightful book!! I read Trevor Noah’s autobiography a while back and it ticked those boxes. Totally hilarious but I learnt a lot about South Africa at the same time.

Thanks for this reco!!
Reply 13
Original post by Oxford Mum
"He's just not that into you" by Greg Behrendt and Liz Tucillo

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hes-Just-Not-That-Into/dp/0007431856

I have used it successfully to suss out which guys are wasting my time and are not interested in me, even though they pretend they are. Actually it is all of them.

This is a weird reply hahaha not something I expected... probably won’t pick this one up but thanks for taking the time to make a reco!
Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind
Original post by llksg90
This is a weird reply hahaha not something I expected... probably won’t pick this one up but thanks for taking the time to make a reco!

It has been absolutely invaluable to me, and could also be put to good use by some of the girls on the relationship threads.
Reply 16
Original post by muf_mur
Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind

Oohhh yes great book! The whole trilogy is really eye opening!!!
Original post by llksg90
I feel like I have had more time to read books of my choice this year. What kind of eye opening / moving / surprising books have you read? Any recommendations very welcome!!

Great Gatsby, Catcher in the Rye
Reply 18
Original post by getlostloser
Great Gatsby, Catcher in the Rye

Yeah classics!
Original post by llksg90
Oohhh yes great book! The whole trilogy is really eye opening!!!

It really did open my eyes and cause me to analyze my fundamental beliefs under a different perspective. I haven't read the other books yet but definitely will soon!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending