The Student Room Group

Mature Student Applying Through Clearing - Advice Please!

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and I'm after some advice if at all possible. After seven years out of education, I'm applying to the Sports Journalism course at UCLan in Preston through clearing. I've registered interest through the university directly and I'm also completing my application through UCAS once the embargo is lifted on Tuesday morning.

Just for a bit of context, I'm 25, local to the area and I have 152 UCAS points to my name, the course requires 104. I believe I have submitted a strong personal statement which is complimented by a detailed reference from a former manager/mentor.

Although I have the grades, the fact I'm going through clearing is unsettling me somewhat as I'm not overly sure that I'll be offered a place. Given my personal circumstances, I really want to be given a chance and accepted onto the course. Being honest, I'd be massively disappointed if I'm unsuccessful.

Could anybody potentially offer advice and thoughts on what the outcome is likely to be?

Apologies if I appear to be asking for a lot, I'm just a little anxious!

Thanks in advance.
Original post by mttsmth
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and I'm after some advice if at all possible. After seven years out of education, I'm applying to the Sports Journalism course at UCLan in Preston through clearing. I've registered interest through the university directly and I'm also completing my application through UCAS once the embargo is lifted on Tuesday morning.

Just for a bit of context, I'm 25, local to the area and I have 152 UCAS points to my name, the course requires 104. I believe I have submitted a strong personal statement which is complimented by a detailed reference from a former manager/mentor.

Although I have the grades, the fact I'm going through clearing is unsettling me somewhat as I'm not overly sure that I'll be offered a place. Given my personal circumstances, I really want to be given a chance and accepted onto the course. Being honest, I'd be massively disappointed if I'm unsuccessful.

Could anybody potentially offer advice and thoughts on what the outcome is likely to be?

Thanks in advance.

How did you register interest, just on the site or did you directly talk to them? :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by emiloujess
How did you register interest, just on the site or did you directly talk to them? :smile:

Hi there, I registered through the website and then followed it up by a phone call a week later. They assured me they had received it so I then did all I needed to do with UCAS and now I'm waiting for Tuesday to select the choice and receive my clearing ID. I think I'll give the uni a call once this is done.
Original post by mttsmth
Hi there, I registered through the website and then followed it up by a phone call a week later. They assured me they had received it so I then did all I needed to do with UCAS and now I'm waiting for Tuesday to select the choice and receive my clearing ID. I think I'll give the uni a call once this is done.

If you ve spoken to them on the phone and you exceed requirements I d be quite hopeful
Original post by mttsmth

As claireestelle said, if they've verbally give you an offer, it is likely you will be accepted :smile: good luck!
Reply 5
Original post by emiloujess
As claireestelle said, if they've verbally give you an offer, it is likely you will be accepted :smile: good luck!

They haven’t verbally given me an offer, just told me they’ve received my query. Fingers crossed though! Thank you!
Original post by mttsmth
Hi all,

Thanks in advance.

Hi there,

I worked as a student ambassador during my time studying at UCLan and spoke to lots of people through clearing who were often anxious/nervous so please try not to worry as you're certainly not on your own.

Friends of mine came through clearing and they found it much simpler than expected - often a quick call and a straight forward transition into uni.

I currently work at the University as an intern after recently graduating and know that you can call to speak to the clearing team as the phone lines opened a few weeks back, so this may just put your mind at ease if you have any questions. I know this year too that the uni is offering live chat events taking place throughout Aug and Sept. All details of opening hours and events can be found on the website at uclan.ac.uk/clearing.

There is also a Clearing virtual open day taking place in August which is worth looking out for.

If it makes you feel any better UCLan also has a really large population of mature students who are over 25 so I'm sure you'll feel right at home.

Best of luck with everything and please give me a shout if you have any other questions that I can help answer as a recent student myself.

Cheers,
Zachary
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by UCLan Student
Hi there,

I worked as a student ambassador during my time studying at UCLan and spoke to lots of people through clearing who were often anxious/nervous so please try not to worry. Friends of mine came through clearing and they found it a quick call and easy transition. You can call now to speak to somebody, live chat events taking place throughout Aug and Sept dates available at uclan.ac.uk/clearing. Clearing virtual open day taking place in August. Many of our students are over 25 so you won't ever feel lost or out of place.

Hope this helps
Zachary

Hi Zachary,

Many thanks for your response, it's greatly appreciated. As it stands, my application is with UCLan along with clear photos of my BTEC qualifications so I suppose I need to hold tight and wait for updates from the university.

Kind Regards,

Matt

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending