The Student Room Group

Volunteering?

unpaid obviously, I want to contribute but I'm very confused with how to apply and whether they will require training. I also have never had a job before so would I need to have experience? I'm 17 btw if that has any relevance.
Thanks in advance

Scroll to see replies

Original post by deciduous
unpaid obviously, I want to contribute but I'm very confused with how to apply and whether they will require training. I also have never had a job before so would I need to have experience? I'm 17 btw if that has any relevance.
Thanks in advance

Where would you like to volunteer?
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous1502
Where would you like to volunteer?

I'm not sure... but I definitely want to help people out. I'm up for dangerous tasks too
I'm not sure... but I definitely want to help people out. I'm up for dangerous tasks too

I first volunteered in a care home if this is something that interests you it would be worth contacting the local care homes in your area and ask whether they accept volunteering. But a lot of places at the moment aren’t accepting any volunteers because of the virus and usually training of some sort is required even if brief.
Reply 4
You may find it difficult at the moment with the Covid 19 situation and not being 18 yet.
What is it that you are hoping to get out of volunteering?
Reply 5
I first volunteered in a care home if this is something that interests you it would be worth contacting the local care homes in your area and ask whether they accept volunteering. But a lot of places at the moment aren’t accepting any volunteers because of the virus and usually training of some sort is required even if brief.

Thank you! I'll try that out and see, what kind of training did you have to do?
Reply 6
Original post by L-K
You may find it difficult at the moment with the Covid 19 situation and not being 18 yet.
What is it that you are hoping to get out of volunteering?

I like helping people out and I want to put it on my CV later
I see... so I have to be 18
Reply 7
I like helping people out and I want to put it on my CV later
I see... so I have to be 18

Possibly, it very much depends on what type of volunteering you want to do.
If your motivation is CV based, there are many different free online courses that would also enhance your CV and are now doable at they moment.
Reply 8
Original post by L-K
Possibly, it very much depends on what type of volunteering you want to do.
If your motivation is CV based, there are many different free online courses that would also enhance your CV and are now doable at they moment.

Would you have any suggestions on what I can volunteer for?
Although, the reason I'm interested in volunteering is not entirely based on improving my CV, currently am doing a course in Futurelearn but I'm not sure if I can put that on later because I would need to have evidence and that requires a subscription.
Reply 9
Would you have any suggestions on what I can volunteer for?
Although, the reason I'm interested in volunteering is not entirely based on improving my CV, currently am doing a course in Futurelearn but I'm not sure if I can put that on later because I would need to have evidence and that requires a subscription.

Of course you can and should put it on, the evidence is your knowledge of the course if they ask you about it.
I presume you are looking for local volunteering rather than an abroad one you actually end up paying for?
Have a look on the website vinspired.com
Reply 10
Original post by L-K
Of course you can and should put it on, the evidence is your knowledge of the course if they ask you about it.
I presume you are looking for local volunteering rather than an abroad one you actually end up paying for?
Have a look on the website vinspired.com

Okay, thank you for your help! I'll definitely look for some on the website :smile:
Thank you! I'll try that out and see, what kind of training did you have to do?

They just showed me round the care home and talked me through what to do if the fire alarm goes off.
Thanks in advance

Charity shops sometimes take under 18s and they show you how to do everything.
Reply 13
Original post by claireestelle
Charity shops sometimes take under 18s and they show you how to do everything.

Thanks! I'll try and see if a local one needs extra help :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
My daughter has volunteered at animal charities since she was 16. The one she spent most time at shut to visitors for lockdown and hasn't needed her back yet but she has found another one now she is 18 - this was in response to a call for help on a local facebook group.
Volunteering demonstrates a work ethic, commitment, reliability, being responsible, all sorts and if you can get a reference even better.
Thanks in advance

Hi, I'm 17 as well and just started volunteering last week at Barnardo's charity shop. I've had no retail experience whatsoever. The application was very easy to fill out I just needed to say why I wanted to volunteer and provide 2 references (I just did my friends because you can't be related to your reference). They were very happy to take me on and I've had 2 proper shifts so far and 1 taster session. The taster session was just them showing me around the shop (fire exits, where the stock is kept etc), showing me how to do certain tasks such as tagging clothes, working at the till, how to organise clothes and window displays etc. That was pretty much it. It's really easy and I'm guessing you're going into year 13 like me this September so it'll look good on your personal statement for UCAS or CV if you are applying for an apprenticeship. If you have any other questions feel free to private message me if necessary.
They just showed me round the care home and talked me through what to do if the fire alarm goes off.

Have you been volunteering at the care homer recently or during the lockdown. I'm not sure whether to ask to volunteer at care homes as it might be dangerous due to corona.
Reply 17
read here on how/where to apply etc. :smile:

www.gov.uk/government/get-involved/take-part/volunteer
Reply 18
Original post by Reviser101
Hi, I'm 17 as well and just started volunteering last week at Barnardo's charity shop. I've had no retail experience whatsoever. The application was very easy to fill out I just needed to say why I wanted to volunteer and provide 2 references (I just did my friends because you can't be related to your reference). They were very happy to take me on and I've had 2 proper shifts so far and 1 taster session. The taster session was just them showing me around the shop (fire exits, where the stock is kept etc), showing me how to do certain tasks such as tagging clothes, working at the till, how to organise clothes and window displays etc. That was pretty much it. It's really easy and I'm guessing you're going into year 13 like me this September so it'll look good on your personal statement for UCAS or CV if you are applying for an apprenticeship. If you have any other questions feel free to private message me if necessary.

Thank you so much! This really helped me :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by Joleee
read here on how/where to apply etc. :smile:

www.gov.uk/government/get-involved/take-part/volunteer

Thank you for the link! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending