The Student Room Group

please help sqa grades

I needed an A in maths and a B to study at my dream uni
I got a B and a B from the sqa
I was predicted an A in maths and was getting A's in my tests
is it possible to do an appeal? I've emailed my college teacher just waiting on a reply now
Even if my appeal was successful, I've been rejected from that uni on ucas track so how would that work? please someone explain it to me I'm very worried
Original post by AnnaDaria
is it possible to do an appeal? I've emailed my college teacher just waiting on a reply now
Even if my appeal was successful, I've been rejected from that uni on ucas track so how would that work? please someone explain it to me I'm very worried

:wavey:

Sorry to hear your results weren't what you hoped :console: Hopefully we can help though :smile:

There's a couple of things you should do now:
1. Wait to hear back from your college teacher. To be eligible for an appeal, their estimated grade needs to be higher than the one you were awarded, but they will be able to confirm this. If they say you are eligible to appeal, definitely do!
2. Phone up the uni that has rejected you - explain your grades & that even though you have missed your offer, you still really want to go there. Let them know you are waiting to hear back from your college about whether you can appeal, as you had been getting As in your class tests.

Let us know how you get on with the above & then we can plan what to do next :smile:

Hi,
You can appeal your result if the result is less than the estimate your school submitted.
Although your school will have to request the appeal.

you can call up and ask if they would wait & see if your appeal was successful but they would not be obligated to

This year is especially difficult as their is no exam paper to appeal its not like if you missed by 1 or 2 marks and see if a remark gets you the grade. I rather suspect that due to this unless you have an exceptionally high paper trail it will be hard to get bumped up a grade.

If you still wish to pursue this, I would:
1) Speak to your school, see if the school will support an appeal and if your maths teacher has the evidence to support this. (perhaps call if you want an answer fast)
2) call your firm and let them know you intend to appeal, find out if they will hold your space (because if not you may wish to look at other options).
3) Get written (i.e. email or on track) confirmation from your uni if they will keep your place on hold whilst you appeal

The other option is to look at your insurance choice or clearing. You can even call up other unis to see if they have space available in course your interested in first, its not uncommon for really good courses in clearing that you might be interested in.

(for what its worth: I missed my firm choice uni many years ago in one subject and ended up going to a uni I had never visited, I had a great time and got a great degree and now im doing a PhD).
---
@Labrador99
(edited 3 years ago)
thank you so much!
I'm just waiting on my college teacher now
Original post by mnot

you can call up and ask if they would wait & see if your appeal was successful but they would not be obligated to

It's very, very unlikely that a uni would not hold someone's place until at least 31st August if they are waiting on an appeal.

@AnnaDaria

If the uni refuse to hold your place, contact UCAS- they can put pressure on the uni to hold a place for you.
I'm making an appeal but on the sqa's website they say the outcomes of appeals will come out on the 4th of September. On my university's website they say they can only accept people in September if they send their appeal outcome by the 31st of August. Is there a way around this?? I cant see any. Is it just over and I have no chance?
I'm making an appeal but on the sqa's website they say the outcomes of appeals will come out on the 4th of September. On my university's website they say they can only accept people in September if they send their appeal outcome by the 31st of August. Is there a way around this?? I cant see any. Is it just over and I have no chance?

I rather suspected this might happen.

I would still contact the university & ask admissions if they will hold the place given you are expecting a result on Sept 4th. They may well say no, but you have nothing to lose by asking, if the main admissions office says no straight away you could also ask to speak to your course admissions tutor explain the circumstances. (but in all honesty id prepare for them to say no).

The next step is if they say no, what do you want to do. If you still wish to go to university this September you can look at other universities, I would suggest you just take a look around & see what options you have.
Original post by mnot
I rather suspected this might happen.

I would still contact the university & ask admissions if they will hold the place given you are expecting a result on Sept 4th. They may well say no, but you have nothing to lose by asking, if the main admissions office says no straight away you could also ask to speak to your course admissions tutor explain the circumstances. (but in all honesty id prepare for them to say no).

The next step is if they say no, what do you want to do. If you still wish to go to university this September you can look at other universities, I would suggest you just take a look around & see what options you have.

okay thank you so much, I'll do that

AFIAK there is a way to get a priority appeal which will be resolved in August. @Labrador99 might know more.

Otherwise, do contact uni admissions- they have been asked to be flexible this year, due to coronavirus, so there is no real reason they couldn't hold your place until the 4th.

You should let them know that you are getting an appeal regardless, otherwise they won't hold your place at all.
Original post by SarcAndSpark
AFIAK there is a way to get a priority appeal which will be resolved in August. @Labrador99 might know more.

Otherwise, do contact uni admissions- they have been asked to be flexible this year, due to coronavirus, so there is no real reason they couldn't hold your place until the 4th.

You should let them know that you are getting an appeal regardless, otherwise they won't hold your place at all.

There are priority appeals, but it's those ones that are 4th September :redface:
Original post by Labrador99
There are priority appeals, but it's those ones that are 4th September :redface:

Ohhhh- that's a bit rubbish.

In that case @AnnaDaria you need to discuss the situation with your uni and see whether they will hold your place. If they won't, I would suggest speaking to UCAS, as I think they would take a dim view of unis not holding a place for a few more days, given the circumstances.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending