The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Start date of Freshers Week

Hi,
I have been trying to find out a firm start date for Freshers Week for my course which is Biology. There is no clear guidance and I am trying to book a last minute holiday and I dont want to miss the start date!

Is there going to be staggering joining, can I choose a start date, are their going to be any events etc?
Your university start date should be given to you in your timetable. Some universities unfortunately don’t release those until mid-late August so it’s a waiting game.

Freshers week usually starts in September-October for most universities, so to be safe, be back from your holiday by the end of August, if they haven’t given you a timetable yet.
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Original post by bolt1234
Hi,
I have been trying to find out a firm start date for Freshers Week for my course which is Biology. There is no clear guidance and I am trying to book a last minute holiday and I dont want to miss the start date!

Is there going to be staggering joining, can I choose a start date, are their going to be any events etc?

Hi @bolt1234,

In order to manage the risks in relation to the ongoing COVID-19 situation we will be staggering arrivals for undergraduate students across the period 10 20 September 2020. Term starts on Monday 21st September. We will notify all students of their allocated arrival date (for University managed halls) and you will be able to book a time slot for your arrival via our online system from 24th August.

The Guild have been working hard to put together a programme of online and in person activities to welcome students to Exeter. An announcement is due in just over a week and will be released on this webpage: https://freshers.exeterguild.com/

I am sorry we cannot be clearer at this time but hopefully this is a starting point. It is worth noting that information about the Arrivals period is subject to change to reflect the latest Government guidelines and ensure all students safety. Do let me know if you have any further questions I can help with.

Melody
University of Exeter Student Recruitment Team
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by University of Exeter Student Recruitment Team Two
Hi @bolt1234,

In order to manage the risks in relation to the ongoing COVID-19 situation we will be staggering arrivals for undergraduate students across the period 10 20 September 2020. Term starts on Monday 21st September. We will notify all students of their allocated arrival date (for University managed halls) and you will be able to book a time slot for your arrival via our online system from 24th August.

Fresher’s week will likely be the week before term is due to start but plans are still being finalised- the Guild have been working hard to put together a programme of online and in person activities to welcome students to Exeter. An announcement is due in just over a week and will be released on this webpage: https://freshers.exeterguild.com/

I am sorry we cannot be clearer at this time but hopefully this is a starting point. It is worth noting that information about the Arrivals period is subject to change to reflect the latest Government guidelines and ensure all students safety. Do let me know if you have any further questions I can help with.

Melody

Does this mean that some of us will miss freshers week? Also, how do you determine who comes what day?
Original post by Dechante
Does this mean that some of us will miss freshers week? Also, how do you determine who comes what day?

Hi @Dechante,

As there is not yet a formal date advertised for when Fresher’s week is due to take place I am unable to answer whether people will miss it based upon when their move in date is. We already know that there will be students who cannot join us at the start of term and so plans are being made to ensure that all students have access to activities welcoming them to the university at this time. If I am able to get any more information about this I will share it here.

Arrival days will be being allocated in a way to ensure that social distancing measures can be adhered to during this busy time. The arrivals FAQs pages will be the best place to see any updates and information on this.

Hope this helps a little bit but sorry I cannot be clearer at this time. Again it is worth stressing that the Govt guidelines contiune to change and so there is still this caveat over all of the currently published plans.

Melody
Original post by Dechante

Original post by bolt1234
Hi,

Hi both,

I have got an update on Fresher’s that you might be interested in. Fresher’s will take place at our Exeter Campuses from 10th - 20th September- there will be a mixture of smaller in person events and larger online events. Full details about these to be released next Thursday at midday on the site I linked to previously. There will be on-going activities throughout term 1 so even if you are not there for all of Fresher's you will still get the opportunity to meet people, try new things and settle into university. If you are on Instagram the current UoE Instagram story is a Q&A about Fresher’s week so might be of interest to you.

Hope this helps a little bit more- if I hear any more information I shall be sure to update this thread.

Melody
is it possible for international students to ask about getting a different date when they get their allocated arrival day? just wondering because of flights
thanks!
Original post by Anonymous
is it possible for international students to ask about getting a different date when they get their allocated arrival day? just wondering because of flights
thanks!

Hello,

Thank you for your question. It should be possible to make changes based upon exceptional circumstances such as pre-arranged international flights. You will need to speak to the Accommodation team to ensure that this is sorted- it is probably ok to leave this until Thursday when you will get information about arrivals and you can begin to book slots. Alternatively the accommodation team can be reached at [email protected] to advise if there is anything you can do now.

Have you seen our Airport Collection Service? This may be of interest to you to help you get to our campuses when you arrive (if travelling to Heathrow). Something I thought it might be worth mentioning to help with getting to us.

Let me know if you have any further questions

Melody
Original post by University of Exeter Student Recruitment Team Two
Hello,

Thank you for your question. It should be possible to make changes based upon exceptional circumstances such as pre-arranged international flights. You will need to speak to the Accommodation team to ensure that this is sorted- it is probably ok to leave this until Thursday when you will get information about arrivals and you can begin to book slots. Alternatively the accommodation team can be reached at [email protected] to advise if there is anything you can do now.

Have you seen our Airport Collection Service? This may be of interest to you to help you get to our campuses when you arrive (if travelling to Heathrow). Something I thought it might be worth mentioning to help with getting to us.

Let me know if you have any further questions

Melody

hi,
thank you for your response! i'm going to be quarantining somewhere else in london then driving up to exeter so I was wondering just because my family will be leaving soon after we arrive in exeter so i will need to move in. does the online booking system open on thursday?
thanks!
hi,
thank you for your response! i'm going to be quarantining somewhere else in london then driving up to exeter so I was wondering just because my family will be leaving soon after we arrive in exeter so i will need to move in. does the online booking system open on thursday?
thanks!

Pretty sure it's the 24th
hi,
thanks!

Hi Anonymous,

Students will hear from the Accommodation team from Monday 17th August with details of their accommodation allocation. You will have 3 days to accept this offer and at this point you should receive more information about Arrivals (or at least when you can expect to hear more/book a time slot). I hope this helps.

Melody

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending