Annoyed and upset at student finance

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
I sent my evidence one month ago about my estrangement from my mother which means she can’t provide any financial information. They JUST got back to me after a whole month of me constantly contacting them about an update for them to tell me that they can’t assess me as an independent student because now they need one about my biological a father and sent me a form to complete about my estrangement from him. It’s already August and they’re making my student finance process so much more slower and I doubt I’ll be able to get the right amount when uni comes around which is in just little over a month. do they think every ones parents are alive? They could’ve asked me this a loong time ago, they just asked me about my mother. If they had asked a long time ago about my father, I would’ve told them he passed away. And if I don’t get the right amount of maintenance loan before uni comes around, I will face a lot of Financial hardship. Why are they doing this??? It’s close to the date
UnwantedKid
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Have you since told them he's passed away? A month is still quite a lomg time and fi you do fall on hardships at the beginning of term, your university will likely have a hardship fund.
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I sent my evidence one month ago about my estrangement from my mother which means she can’t provide any financial information. They JUST got back to me after a whole month of me constantly contacting them about an update for them to tell me that they can’t assess me as an independent student because now they need one about my biological a father and sent me a form to complete about my estrangement from him. It’s already August and they’re making my student finance process so much more slower and I doubt I’ll be able to get the right amount when uni comes around which is in just little over a month. do they think every ones parents are alive? They could’ve asked me this a loong time ago, they just asked me about my mother. If they had asked a long time ago about my father, I would’ve told them he passed away. And if I don’t get the right amount of maintenance loan before uni comes around, I will face a lot of Financial hardship. Why are they doing this??? It’s close to the date
it should be as simple as sending a copy of his death certificate to them, unfortunately, and I know it's silly they don't think that you might have a dead parent at 18 despite it being more common than most people would think about.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by UnwantedKid)
Have you since told them he's passed away? A month is still quite a lomg time and fi you do fall on hardships at the beginning of term, your university will likely have a hardship fund.
I told them today. This is the first time they’ve bought up my father

(Original post by claireestelle)
it should be as simple as sending a copy of his death certificate to them, unfortunately, and I know it's silly they don't think that you might have a dead parent at 18 despite it being more common than most people would think about.
Are you saying I have to provide evidence of my fathers death? It was 11 years ago. I shouldn’t have to do this
claireestelle
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I told them today. This is the first time they’ve bought up my father

Are you saying I have to provide evidence of my fathers death? It was 11 years ago. I shouldn’t have to do this
I'm sorry, I m afraid you might have to, I had to when I applied for student finance and it was 9 years since his death at the time.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by claireestelle)
I'm sorry, I m afraid you might have to, I had to when I applied for student finance and it was 9 years since his death at the time.
But how is that simple? And how could I do that? I hope they don’t expect me to pay for anything just to prove my fathers death
claireestelle
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
But how is that simple? And how could I do that? I hope they don’t expect me to pay for anything just to prove my fathers death
you can get a copy of his death certificate by applying online but yes there might be a fee, it's not much though. There is no central service for them to check if someone is alive or not, and since people try to commit student finance fraud, they treat genuine people suspiciously
marple
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Getting a copy of a death certificate is relatively straight forward if you don't have the original:

https://www.gov.uk/order-copy-birth-...ge-certificate

Student Finance is done on the basis of parental income and they will need to check your fathers position even if you are estranged from your mother. You can order a copy on line and they come fairly quickly.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (132)
14.78%
I'm not sure (40)
4.48%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (268)
30.01%
I have already dropped out (22)
2.46%
I'm not a current university student (431)
48.26%

Watched Threads