Dina28.
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hi, I really need someone help, I just have some questions about securing a training contract, can anyone help me please?
EU Yakov
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
what are the questions? i'm sure that there are lots of people who are willing to help.
Dina28.
Rep:
?
(Original post by EU Yakov)
what are the questions? i'm sure that there are lots of people who are willing to help.
Hi, I am now starting my LLB in September and I would like to do my LPC in London and permanently move their afterwards. In all honesty my family and I aren't so well off and we already in expense to pay for my LLB, so I am really hoping to secure a training contract and I am willing to work hard. I would like to know about the process how can I apply for the training contract? Would I have to go to London or can it be done online and through emails and phone calls?

Also would I be doing the training at the same time of the LPC? Would I receive a maintenance fee while I am doing my LPC? (I am depending on that partially to help me with daily life eg. rent and meals)

Any information or experience anyone have with the training contract would be really helpful and appreciated. Thank you for your time.
EU Yakov
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Dina28.)
Hi, I am now starting my LLB in September and I would like to do my LPC in London and permanently move their afterwards. In all honesty my family and I aren't so well off and we already in expense to pay for my LLB, so I am really hoping to secure a training contract and I am willing to work hard. I would like to know about the process how can I apply for the training contract? Would I have to go to London or can it be done online and through emails and phone calls?

Also would I be doing the training at the same time of the LPC? Would I receive a maintenance fee while I am doing my LPC? (I am depending on that partially to help me with daily life eg. rent and meals)

Any information or experience anyone have with the training contract would be really helpful and appreciated. Thank you for your time.
applications are online
testing is always online

pre-covid...
there were lots of events and recruitment fairs that would either take place on campus or close to campus or at the firm's offices
assessment centres were done face-to-face at the firm's office

so it ultimately depends on
- what firms do with their assessment centres - they can't keep on pushing them back indefinitely, so what if we have a second wave lockdown?
- what firms/offices of firms you are going to be applying to (there are TCs offered outside London...)
- how many on campus/in-city events your university arranges

you don't need to think about the LPC right now. focus on getting the grades, experience and TC!
Dina28.
Rep:
?
applications are online
testing is always online

pre-covid...
there were lots of events and recruitment fairs that would either take place on campus or close to campus or at the firm's offices
assessment centres were done face-to-face at the firm's office

so it ultimately depends on
- what firms do with their assessment centres - they can't keep on pushing them back indefinitely, so what if we have a second wave lockdown?
- what firms/offices of firms you are going to be applying to (there are TCs offered outside London...)
- how many on campus/in-city events your university arranges

you don't need to think about the LPC right now. focus on getting the grades, experience and TC!
Okay thank you, I attend ILAS - Institute of Law and Academic Studies, a teaching center for the UOL. What normally happens with this school as what I am aware of is that after the three years of LLB we have options of going to London or Hugh Wooding ( a local school) here but my aim is to leave this country.

I am aware that I need to start applying two years in advance, would you mind if I pm you when the time reach for advice? or can I email you? if you don't mind?
EU Yakov
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Okay thank you, I attend ILAS - Institute of Law and Academic Studies, a teaching center for the UOL. What normally happens with this school as what I am aware of is that after the three years of LLB we have options of going to London or Hugh Wooding ( a local school) here but my aim is to leave this country.

I am aware that I need to start applying two years in advance, would you mind if I pm you when the time reach for advice? or can I email you? if you don't mind?
i think that it's best if you keep talking to people here
most people aren't willing to suddenly disclose a lot of personal information to someone they don't know
or waste their time providing advice to one person when this forum exists
Dina28.
Rep:
?
i think that it's best if you keep talking to people here
most people aren't willing to suddenly disclose a lot of personal information to someone they don't know
or waste their time providing advice to one person when this forum exists
Okay thank you, I understand. I only have here to ask as where I am from I don't know anyone who went through the process I want to.
AspiringLLMer
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
If you are starting uni this year then you'll likely be sitting the SQE. Most London commercial law firms I've come across offer maintenance grants.

You will have to apply online. Traditionally, you will also have to travel to London for any assessment centres or interviews. These typically only take a day and most firms will reimburse your travel expenses.

LLB students usually apply in their penultimate year onwards. In your circumstance, you can start applying in 2022 for the 2024 intake.

You really do not need to worry about the process as there are an abundance of resources online. Your university advisors and peers are also able to help you as it is a fairly straightforward process.
Dina28.
Rep:
?
(Original post by AspiringLLMer)
If you are starting uni this year then you'll likely be sitting the SQE. Most London commercial law firms I've come across offer maintenance grants.

You will have to apply online. Traditionally, you will also have to travel to London for any assessment centres or interviews. These typically only take a day and most firms will reimburse your travel expenses.

LLB students usually apply in their penultimate year onwards. In your circumstance, you can start applying in 2022 for the 2024 intake.

You really do not need to worry about the process as there are an abundance of resources online. Your university advisors and peers are also able to help you as it is a fairly straightforward process.
Thank you soo much, I am bit more relieved now. May I ask, how do I apply online? Would it through a specific site or do I apply to law firms individually?
AspiringLLMer
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Thank you soo much, I am bit more relieved now. May I ask, how do I apply online? Would it through a specific site or do I apply to law firms individually?
You will have to apply to each firm individually through their graduate recruitment website.
Dina28.
Rep:
?
(Original post by AspiringLLMer)
You will have to apply to each firm individually through their graduate recruitment website.
Okay, thank you. Would you kindly recommend some firms?
CharleneH87
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Okay, thank you. Would you kindly recommend some firms?
there is not really a recommended list, it all depends on what your interests are.. some people prefer small firms some like bigger etc etc. You have a long way to go yet so i wouldn't worry too much, start looking towards the end of your second year LLB.

Its good to have a plan and obviously you need to think of things such as finances but honestly concentrate on LLB for now and getting the best grades you can.. one piece of advice i would give is dont listen to people saying 'oh well your first couple of years don't count as the classification is based off 3rd year', you wouldnt believe how many students ive heard saying this.. absolutely try your best all the way through because employers will want a breakdown of every single grade.

Good luck
Dina28.
Rep:
?
(Original post by CharleneH87)
there is not really a recommended list, it all depends on what your interests are.. some people prefer small firms some like bigger etc etc. You have a long way to go yet so i wouldn't worry too much, start looking towards the end of your second year LLB.

Its good to have a plan and obviously you need to think of things such as finances but honestly concentrate on LLB for now and getting the best grades you can.. one piece of advice i would give is dont listen to people saying 'oh well your first couple of years don't count as the classification is based off 3rd year', you wouldnt believe how many students ive heard saying this.. absolutely try your best all the way through because employers will want a breakdown of every single grade.

Good luck
Okay thank you soo much, I appreciate all the advice
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (97)
13.68%
I'm not sure (32)
4.51%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (221)
31.17%
I have already dropped out (17)
2.4%
I'm not a current university student (342)
48.24%

Watched Threads