The Student Room Group

How do you pray?

I either pray in my bed in the evening and before exams, or I like to take a walk in a park nearby in the late afternoon and listen to worship songs. It's good for channeling your emotion and connecting with God! :yep:

Scroll to see replies

in the evening by my bed usually:smile:
Reply 2
With my mantids:ahee:
Sorry, sorry! I couldn’t help myself :ashamed:
I am somewhat in the middle of religion nowadays. I feel bad choosing one belief over another :frown:
Original post by Moonbow
With my mantids:ahee:
Sorry, sorry! I couldn’t help myself :ashamed:
I am somewhat in the middle of religion nowadays. I feel bad choosing one belief over another :frown:

interesting. do you feel you are in the middle of 2 different faiths or do you feel like you are losing faith altogether?

we all go through phases with religion, sometimes they are permanent. you're not alone :yep:
Meh, whenever feels appropriate.
Original post by StriderHort
Meh, whenever feels appropriate.

fair enough. i feel the same - though i often feel bad afterwards for only communicating with god when it suits me. it reminds me to be grateful more often and tell him more! :redface:
Original post by yzanne
I either pray in my bed in the evening and before exams, or I like to take a walk in a park nearby in the late afternoon and listen to worship songs. It's good for channeling your emotion and connecting with God! :yep:

Mostly in my bed cos I pray when I wake up and right before I go to bed. Then sometimes I have family prayers where we're all seated. And occasionally I take a break from my usual music list and listen to worship songs. Though recently I've been struggling with faith and prayer; I haven't prayed since Friday.
usually before bed and morning, what is ur religion?

Original post by yzanne
You know what, even though I identify myself as non-religious (note: not atheist) I still find myself praying - if that’s what you could call it. Maybe it’s more appropriate to call it a period of... self reflection, meditation, emotional analysis. I don’t really know. Typically do this at difficult points in life, or when I’m feeling lost.
Original post by immanueligwe151
Mostly in my bed cos I pray when I wake up and right before I go to bed. Then sometimes I have family prayers where we're all seated. And occasionally I take a break from my usual music list and listen to worship songs. Though recently I've been struggling with faith and prayer; I haven't prayed since Friday.

This is totally okay and absolutely normal.

If you're feeling lost, there are plenty of ways you can reconnect with God you could read your holy book, watch videos or online services / prayers, or listen to faith music. :yep:
Original post by nishyboo
usually before bed and morning, what is ur religion?

Christian! :smile:

and that's good that you have structured prayer. I keep trying to remind myself to do that!
Original post by itscourtchicks
You know what, even though I identify myself as non-religious (note: not atheist) I still find myself praying - if that’s what you could call it. Maybe it’s more appropriate to call it a period of... self reflection, meditation, emotional analysis. I don’t really know. Typically do this at difficult points in life, or when I’m feeling lost.

It might just be reflection, or you trying to communicate with something that is generally a higher power or bigger than existance.
Faith is not always necessarily associated with a specific God or holy book. You can just believe, full stop. :yep:
Original post by yzanne
fair enough. i feel the same - though i often feel bad afterwards for only communicating with god when it suits me. it reminds me to be grateful more often and tell him more! :redface:

Prsom:smile: I always try to remind myself to be grateful and pray at least once a day(which is what I'm working on).

Original post by yzanne
It might just be reflection, or you trying to communicate with something that is generally a higher power or bigger than existance.
Faith is not always necessarily associated with a specific God or holy book. You can just believe, full stop. :yep:

I think that is a perfect description of my belief, it's sometimes difficult to describe it, but you said it really well.
Original post by yzanne
interesting. do you feel you are in the middle of 2 different faiths or do you feel like you are losing faith altogether?

we all go through phases with religion, sometimes they are permanent. you're not alone :yep:

To be honest, I don’t really know. I think that if there is a god, they wouldn’t mind us being thankful for what they do, no matter which day or way we celebrate :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Moonbow
To be honest, I don’t really know. I think that if there is a god, they wouldn’t mind us being thankful for what they do, no matter which day or way we celebrate :smile:

this is a really good way to look at it!

just like many things, there isn't a *need* to place a label on your faith. you can just believe or pray for your existence, without aiming it at one particular named god. :yep:
Thread cleaned up and moved :smile:
Original post by Paracosm
Thread cleaned up and moved :smile:

I prayed it would be.
Reply 17
same :smile: well i like to take long walks and listen to worship songs and sermons, and meditate on the words. feels mentally and physically good and there's something about being in nature, i find.

pretty bad at praying otherwise. lol :angelblush:
It's a bit hard to describe how I pray. After I developed psychosis and experienced other traumas, my prayer style radically changed :erm: I pray in wordless thoughts and images :dontknow: The best way to kinda give you an idea is that I toss various thoughts and prayers at God throughout the day, without dwelling too much on them. Like tossing a pancake to the sky and then God catches it :colondollar: I guess it's quite an informal (and for me at least, feels an irreverent) form of prayer :erm:

When it comes to prayers with words, I can pray set prayers - e.g. Hail Mary, Our Father, the rosary, the Mass - alright but struggle to use words to say my own prayers :sad: If I have a serious prayer intention, I try to say at least a decade of the rosary (Catholic prayer bead thing), if not a whole one, but I find that a struggle tbh :redface:
so I'm a Muslim and try to pray the 5 prescribed prayers on time throughout the day
Apart from that, I do make my own supplications such as thanking God for everything he's blessed me with, asking for forgiveness and asking for things I want such as good exam results etc.
I'd usually do this at least once a day and I feel most peaceful doing this sitting on my bedroom floor 😊
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending