The Student Room Group

GCSE revision guides

I'm about to buy some but I need some advice
These are the subjects I'm doing that I don't have any in yet.
-Biology
-Physics
-Chemistry
-English lit and language
-Maths
-German
-Geography
Which onese should I get revision guides for and which ones should I not get any for. Also are cgp books any good?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Nosa14
-Biology
-Physics
-Chemistry
-Maths
-German
-Geography
Which onese should I get revision guides for and which ones should I not get any for. Also are cgp books any good?

I wouldn't recommend buying any yet as your school may offer them at a discounted rate. I remember my school sold them for £2 each!

Edit: What year are you in?
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Nosa14
-Biology
-Physics
-Chemistry
-Maths
-German
-Geography

I would recommend cgp for the sciences as well as English lang and lit. For all the others, MFL especially, I recommend the Pearson ones. I found them really clear and come with online versions where you can listen to recordings. This is obviously very helpful for German. I also had the 'My Revision Notes' for geography as it included all the case studies I had studied with my class.
Hope thats helpful! :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by 5hyl33n
I wouldn't recommend buying any yet as your school may offer them at a discounted rate. I remember my school sold them for £2 each!

Edit: What year are you in?

Im going into year 11. I didnt buy the revision guides from my school because they overprice everything
Original post by Nosa14
Im going into year 11. I didnt buy the revision guides from my school because they overprice everything

Ah fair enough. Shockingly, my school didn't overprice on this haha.

As the above user said CGP for Sciences and Pearson for the rest but honestly I don't really think it makes a big difference.

I found this website quite good for annotations for English Literature. Just type in the text you study and annotations will come up:
The website name is 'Genius'.
Reply 5
Original post by finn.c
I would recommend cgp for the sciences as well as English lang and lit. For all the others, MFL especially, I recommend the Pearson ones. I found them really clear and come with online versions where you can listen to recordings. This is obviously very helpful for German. I also had the 'My Revision Notes' for geography as it included all the case studies I had studied with my class.
Hope thats helpful! :smile:

For English language and literature what exactly do the revision guides entail? Also I was a bit worried about buying the Pearson geography book because they have errors apparently. Are the errors frequent? Thank you :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by 5hyl33n
Ah fair enough. Shockingly, my school didn't overprice on this haha.

As the above user said CGP for Sciences and Pearson for the rest but honestly I don't really think it makes a big difference.

I found this website quite good for annotations for English Literature. Just type in the text you study and annotations will come up:
The website name is 'Genius'.

Isnt genius a lyric website?
Original post by Nosa14
Isnt genius a lyric website?

Yeah, but surprisingly you also get annotations on it!
Reply 8
Original post by 5hyl33n
Yeah, but surprisingly you also get annotations on it!

Wow thank you. This is probably one of the best things I've found for english lit so far
For maths I used the collins book
Eng lit was CGP and i used stacey reays youtube channel and insta- highly recommend
Eng lang i didnt use a revision guide- relied on past papers
Sciences was also collins for me but school also used CGP
and i didnt take german or geography. I took spanish and didnt use a revision guide. more practicing for speaking my chosen theme, quizlet for vocab and school books as well. hope this kinda helped and good luck. (im in year 11 so havent taken any exams but these helped with my mocks)
Original post by Nosa14
Wow thank you. This is probably one of the best things I've found for english lit so far

Which texts are you studying for English Literature? I got an 8 at GCSE if you want more advice x
Reply 11
Original post by Nosa14
For English language and literature what exactly do the revision guides entail? Also I was a bit worried about buying the Pearson geography book because they have errors apparently. Are the errors frequent? Thank you :smile:

For English literature I got the individual revision guides for the texts I was studying (Romeo and Juliet, Lord of the Flies & Jekyll and Hyde.) Romeo and Juliet one was by 'Cambridge School Shakespeare'. The other two were York Notes. The Pearson English Lang. revision guide mostly comprised of one page of explanation, followed by one activity to do.
I mostly used the 'My Revision Notes' by Hodder for geography and only used the Pearson guide occasionally. I'd get the My Revision Notes over the Pearson guide. I found it easy to follow and ended up getting a good grade in geography.
Reply 12
Original post by 5hyl33n
Which texts are you studying for English Literature? I got an 8 at GCSE if you want more advice x

I don't do GCSE literature unfortunately I do Igcse so the texts wont be the same. I do 1984, the crucible and a bunch of Carol ann Duffy poems. I would still appreciate advice though
Reply 13
Original post by finn.c
For English literature I got the individual revision guides for the texts I was studying (Romeo and Juliet, Lord of the Flies & Jekyll and Hyde.) Romeo and Juliet one was by 'Cambridge School Shakespeare'. The other two were York Notes. The Pearson English Lang. revision guide mostly comprised of one page of explanation, followed by one activity to do.
I mostly used the 'My Revision Notes' by Hodder for geography and only used the Pearson guide occasionally. I'd get the My Revision Notes over the Pearson guide. I found it easy to follow and ended up getting a good grade in geography.

Ohhh ok I understand now. Thank you so much I really appreciate the help
Original post by Nosa14
I don't do GCSE literature unfortunately I do Igcse so the texts wont be the same. I do 1984, the crucible and a bunch of Carol ann Duffy poems. I would still appreciate advice though

Oh, I did the poem 'Before You Were Mine'. I found Carol Ann Duffy so boring. :lol:

I haven't read any of the other texts so I don't think my advice will be of much use.
abitary warning about spelling

CGP ALL THE WAY.

I recommend the CGP Complete Revision and Pratice books they have a purple and black front .
They contain the Revision Guide Exam Questions Pratice papers

They contain different exam questions from the exam Pratice Workbook. So if you need more exam questions you can buy the exam Pratice Workbook aswell. NOTICE : THE WORKBOOK AND EXAM PRATICE WORKBOOKS ARE 2 DIFFERENT THINGS. I would only recommend the work book for maths.

For maths and science CGP also do an 8-9 targeted exam Pratice Workbooks.

Remember not to just read them make flashcards and take notes ect ect.

Combine the revision guide knowledge with knowledge from your own school books and bbc bitesize. (BBC BITESIZE is a textbook equivalent).

If you do an obscure subject I recommend the Textbooks from Hodder education. (If the CGP Revision Guides and/or bbc BITESIZE doesn't exist for your subject Do this) I DO NOT RECOMMEND THE "MY REVISION NOTES" BOOKS

CGP also do other resources like 10 minute test books, honestly unless you have endless money they are not worth it.

ALSO I RECOMMEND SENECA.

Also I recommend that you subscribe to some Youtube channels that follow the speciation. (Primrose kitten, freesciencelessons ect)

And subscribe to some YouTube channels that are related to the subject but don't follow the spec (THIS HELPS WITH APPLICATION QUESTIONS) For physics I recommend Electroboom for bio I recommend the thought emporium and for chemistry I recommend Neil Red and for maths I recommend minute math
(edited 3 years ago)
If you’re worried about costs, there are also plenty of free online resources out there! (And no need to kill those trees!)

E.g. Physics and Maths Tutor
Chem Revise
I’m sure others can add for less science-y subjects
Reply 17
Original post by sassy sausages
For maths I used the collins book
Eng lit was CGP and i used stacey reays youtube channel and insta- highly recommend
Eng lang i didnt use a revision guide- relied on past papers
Sciences was also collins for me but school also used CGP
and i didnt take german or geography. I took spanish and didnt use a revision guide. more practicing for speaking my chosen theme, quizlet for vocab and school books as well. hope this kinda helped and good luck. (im in year 11 so havent taken any exams but these helped with my mocks)

Do you think language revision books are useful?
Reply 18
Original post by Nosa14
Ohhh ok I understand now. Thank you so much I really appreciate the help

No problem! :smile:
Original post by Nosa14
Do you think language revision books are useful?

Honestly no idea. never touched one. personally i wouldnt say so as my school taught me how to structure the questions/ how to respond to questions and what the examiners are looking for. Thats just me and im money conscious aswell even tho my parents were fine buying stuff like that. i wouldnt buy one but thats just me

Quick Reply

Latest