The Student Room Group

4 A-Levels + EPQ?

Hello,

I'm enrolled to do maths, history, physics when I start college but I've been considering taking further maths as a 4th a level. I received a letter from my college saying that I could take an EPQ in my first year.

I'm planning to pursue law after college and I was wondering if I should drop further maths because the workload will be absolutely chaotic along with the EPQ? Which would be better in the long run?

Many thanks :smile:
Reply 1
@PetitePanda Aren't these your A levels (as they were mine :smile:)

If you're set on law i wouldn't bother with Further Maths - concentrate on getting 3 top grades. If you take an EPQ and get a decent (B or better) in it then some universities - Sheffield is one - will give you a lower offer on your A levels, e.g. AAB rather than AAA .
Original post by Compost
@PetitePanda Aren't these your A levels (as they were mine :smile:)

If you're set on law i wouldn't bother with Further Maths - concentrate on getting 3 top grades. If you take an EPQ and get a decent (B or better) in it then some universities - Sheffield is one - will give you a lower offer on your A levels, e.g. AAB rather than AAA .

Yes these are my A levels :biggrin: Thank you for tagging me :h:
What do you mean pursuing law after college? Like a law degree? Law career? A legal apprenticeship?
Original post by ohnojay
Hello,

I'm enrolled to do maths, history, physics when I start college but I've been considering taking further maths as a 4th a level. I received a letter from my college saying that I could take an EPQ in my first year.

I'm planning to pursue law after college and I was wondering if I should drop further maths because the workload will be absolutely chaotic along with the EPQ? Which would be better in the long run?

Many thanks :smile:

Hi,

From my own experience of taking A levels and applying to University there is never much benefit of a 4th A level and you may be putting extra pressure on yourself as the workload does get harder for year 13 preparing for exams with both AS and A level content to learn. An EPQ is a great idea and some University courses ( including some at Sheffield) offer lower grades given you get a certain grade in a relevant EPQ. EPQ also does help a lot with dissertation skills which is something that will help you out at uni! My advice would be not to overload yourself, give yourself enough time to get good grades in the 3 A levels you need and possibly consider an EPQ if your time management is good! Hope this helps, feel free to ask any questions.

Alisha
2nd Year
BMedSci Orthoptics
Reply 5
Original post by PetitePanda
What do you mean pursuing law after college? Like a law degree? Law career? A legal apprenticeship?

I was thinking of doing a law degree after college
Original post by ohnojay
I was thinking of doing a law degree after college

Taking a 4th A level or extra AS doesnt have benefits as does a EPQ for law degree. I only genuinely recommend 4th a level if its something you want to put the effort in. If you want to do an EPQ, totally go for an EPQ. If you think the workload would be chaotic, choose one over the other. Like Compost says, it would be much better to concentrate on 3 A levels as they only require 3 for an offer. EPQ has the benefits of reduced grades but tbh, the value of an EPQ is in researching areas of law you might be interested in - it will help you out in interviews and your personal statement. Further maths a level doesn't really help in the long run expect possibly hindering you from achieving better grades; although it does help further understanding of A level maths, you dont need it for A level maths because I'm doing fine without it.
EPQ really depends on which unis you apply to in terms of benefits. From what I've gathered from my own experience, most 'top' unis don't really seem to care but some will give you a reduced offer or it will help you get more UCAS points in general.

The main benefit is probably that it gives you something to talk about in your personal statement but I imagine that could as easily be replaced by reading books or engaging in work experience or just keeping up with what's going on and what interests you.

My time management with it was horrible and I personally would not recommend taking an extra A level along side it.

Quick Reply

Latest