The Student Room Group

UK universities need massive reform

It's now been two weeks since I've graduated.....

I have no proof. I paid £27,000 for nothing.....

Everytime you make contact with universities, "we're experiencing a high volume of emails and working from home".

I think they should all stay home and prospective students you are in for an absolute horrible experience this year.

Don't be fooled... The QS rankings and timeshigher position are for pre covid-19 universities. The HE sector in this country is an absolute mess.

Meanwhile cheesy universities, have lecturer's on TSR spewing off about how everyone is working hard to give you a great experience.... Right...

They spent 5 months sitting at home, knowing graduates need proof of graduation... Saw a problem coming and did absolutely nothing to be proactive.

I've been met with, staff providing misinformation, staff saying "unprecedented ways of working".

You guys are in for alot of disappointment and additional rules on your behaviour. Do yourselves a favour and take a year out. I'm not exactly sure what you can do, but pre vaccine these uni's are a mess.

Just imagine you'll be at university and some regional lockdown occurs and it's all going tits up. Such mismanagement and disorganisation is shameful.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
WOW! You still haven't got your transcripts? What a bunch of jokers!
Reply 2
Lecturers have **** all to do with the administration of you getting your cert, thus it is entirely possible (and likely) that they have been working their backsides off, regardless of you not having received your certification

The two are basically completely separate.
Original post by gjd800
Lecturers have **** all to do with the administration of you getting your cert, thus it is entirely possible (and likely) that they have been working their backsides off, regardless of you not having received your certification

The two are basically completely separate.

But they are creating an image of the whole university working..... That includes student services and support.

Really have they been innocent though, in previous years they've taken some strong action to not work their backsides off from my experience.

They're likely being driven by the fear of not having students and losing their pension debacle.

And what if enrolment doesn't fall!?! 👏 👏 🤣

Does industrial action then come back on the table.
Original post by Sentenced_to
WOW! You still haven't got your transcripts? What a bunch of jokers!

Clearly not a priority for them, they can't even produce an email proving I've graduated that i had to pay an additional and frankly unjustified £13 for.

Just a load of excuses, dither and delay.

Finally found a use for populist brexit slogans. 😂

And it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy, this sort of attitude can become a cancer in an organisation.... Everything can just be done sloppily because of a pandemic, ohhh were struggling.

That is not how you treat students forking out house deposits.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Realitysreflexx
But they are creating an image of the whole university working..... That includes student services and support.

Really have they been innocent though, in previous years they've taken some strong action to not work their backsides off from my experience.

They're likely being driven by the fear of not having students and losing their pension debacle.

And what if enrolment doesn't fall!?! 👏 👏 🤣

Does industrial action then come back on the table.

Well yes, because people need to toe the institutional line or lose their jobs. Come on, this isn't even deep analysis, you know how this works. Every academic I know has a special disdain for administrators, but you think they can tell you that publicly? Think about it for more than ten seconds.

If you think the strikes are about having a few days off, or an excuse not to work, then you are catastrophically deluded about first the nature of academic work and second the nature of the bloc that forced through the last two rounds of strikes (and who have this year basically all been voted off the UCU NEC owing to widespread disillusionment with the strike action).

Yes, the admin is ridiculous, yes they are slow. I am having an excruciating experience of my own in this same regard. No, this does not have anything to do with academic staff.
Original post by gjd800
Well yes, because people need to toe the institutional line or lose their jobs. Come on, this isn't even deep analysis, you know how this works. Every academic I know has a special disdain for administrators, but you think they can tell you that publicly? Think about it for more than ten seconds.

If you think the strikes are about having a few days off, or an excuse not to work, then you are catastrophically deluded about first the nature of academic work and second the nature of the bloc that forced through the last two rounds of strikes (and who have this year basically all been voted off the UCU NEC owing to widespread disillusionment with the strike action).

Yes, the admin is ridiculous, yes they are slow. I am having an excruciating experience of my own in this same regard. No, this does not have anything to do with academic staff.

Well then i'm not sure what we are on about...we see eye to eye....but especially in a year where the students will be more reliant than EVER on a smooth administration...i stand by my post.

I have nothing against academics, otherwise i wouldn't be so upset that i'm at risk of not getting my credentials in time to progress to being taught by some more!

But the experience is more than just academics alone. So i guess for the remainder of this thread we will give them a pass. The strikes are about more, other Western countries did get agreements done, BTW with less disruption. Further evidence of some skeptical performance by UK uni's.

Let's face it'll be salty until i get whats owed to me at this point, yes OWED...i've been requested to pay back quite a hefty sum for it.
(edited 3 years ago)
university tuition is so unnecessarily expensive.

then again, where does the money go?
Reply 8

Let's face it'll be salty until i get whats owed to me at this point, yes OWED...i've been requested to pay back quite a hefty sum for it.

The fact that YOU you paid is irrelevant. I am sure there would have been issues too if universities in Germany or Finland or Norway, would have done the same. Public, private, or hybrid public-private institutions should do what the are paid for regardless if payer is the direct reciever of the education or the taxpayer.
The University of Edinburgh use a service whereby people needing evidence of a person graduating (e.g. employers) can use a webpage to verify. It requires evidence from the consenting person.

They were also fairly quick to send out degree certificates after the results came out (3 weeks.)

Nonetheless, it is definitely sensible to recommend people to take a year out. If you start in September you get;
- No freshers week
- Lesser uni social experience
- Fewer to none in-person teaching.
- Possibility of more strikes?
- Dubious online assessment.
Original post by Sentenced_to
The fact that YOU you paid is irrelevant. I am sure there would have been issues too if universities in Germany or Finland or Norway, would have done the same. Public, private, or hybrid public-private institutions should do what the are paid for regardless if payer is the direct reciever of the education or the taxpayer.

True I'm probably just having buyer's remorse... Since i can't prove my purchase 😂 let's face it I'm pretty upset right now... Everyone take this with a grain of salt.
Original post by MalcolmX
The University of Edinburgh use a service whereby people needing evidence of a person graduating (e.g. employers) can use a webpage to verify. It requires evidence from the consenting person.

They were also fairly quick to send out degree certificates after the results came out (3 weeks.)

Nonetheless, it is definitely sensible to recommend people to take a year out. If you start in September you get;
- No freshers week
- Lesser uni social experience
- Fewer to none in-person teaching.
- Possibility of more strikes?
- Dubious online assessment.

I think it's the fact my uni pushed back results by a few weeks or has a later calendar... Alot of people graduated well before our official date of 24th July.

I'm likely so impatient because of my unique Timeline. Since my next uni starts in three weeks and I'm moving on Wednesday 😂.

But still in hindsight... Had i got my diploma and transcripts on graduation day as I planned.... I wouldn't be in this situation. So I'm kind of correct to be upset imo.

I'm sure everyone starting in late September or October is alot calmer.. Heck some are even starting in January 2021 due to covid-19 (Leeds for example).
My biggest fear this year as I head into 2nd year uni is being in a different city with a regional lockdown.

Some unis I’ve been incredibly lazy, I understand your frustration. What did you study?
I think it's the fact my uni pushed back results by a few weeks or has a later calendar... Alot of people graduated well before our official date of 24th July.

I'm likely so impatient because of my unique Timeline. Since my next uni starts in three weeks and I'm moving on Wednesday 😂.

But still in hindsight... Had i got my diploma and transcripts on graduation day as I planned.... I wouldn't be in this situation. So I'm kind of correct to be upset imo.

I'm sure everyone starting in late September or October is alot calmer.. Heck some are even starting in January 2021 due to covid-19 (Leeds for example).

I got my results a month later than usual due to covid, it sucked spending the entirety of the post-exam period worrying about results.

You're going to the netherlands to study? My cousin went to Groningen to study mechanical engineering.
Original post by MalcolmX
I got my results a month later than usual due to covid, it sucked spending the entirety of the post-exam period worrying about results.

You're going to the netherlands to study? My cousin went to Groningen to study mechanical engineering.

I can understand a week here or there but a month wow, yeah but results have been out since the 8th of July so... You would hope that I would have something tangible by now. I've spoken with my personal tutor and she's going to look into it, at least some hope.

U of Groningen is where I'm heading on Wednesday :smile:
However for business, definitely not capable of mechanical engineering 😂.
Original post by MajorFader
My biggest fear this year as I head into 2nd year uni is being in a different city with a regional lockdown.

Some unis I’ve been incredibly lazy, I understand your frustration. What did you study?

BSc Management at University of Nottingham... An entire degree about efficiency and organisation 😂.
Original post by yzanne
university tuition is so unnecessarily expensive.

then again, where does the money go?

Into speed and efficiency :colone:.
Just because your university is **** doesn’t mean every UK university needs reforming.

Haven’t you been given access to your HEAR?
Original post by PQ
Just because your university is **** doesn’t mean every UK university needs reforming.

At least not for this reason.
Original post by PQ

Haven’t you been given access to your HEAR?

If you don't believe UK universities need reform your probably against the norm 😂. I mean primarily in general efficiency for price requested. High price = good service... That was the point of more capitalism right? 🙄 😭 😂😂.

My uni doesn't do HEAR. There is some other system I could suggest my next uni accesses for like £20 done by prospect... But I'm trying to save that for a last resort. Because then I'll need to see if they want to do that etc etc.

I may need to pay them to do it, and i don't think they will just bill me.... I'll probably need to pay them to do that first, which i could next week when I'm on the ground there.... And since their offices are physically open.
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending